Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

newbie, the right visa? Engaged SamoanKiwi proof of relationship

newbie, the right visa? Engaged SamoanKiwi proof of relationship

Old Sep 8th 2017, 9:44 am
Just Joined

samoankiwi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default newbie, the right visa? Engaged SamoanKiwi proof of relationship

Hi team,

Im Orlando from wellington. Ill try a brief background, have been engaged to my girl since december 2016, she left for london 3 years ago and we had not been together during that time. Of course that time and distance makes you realize what matters, hence proposing last year. we've been together on and off for the last 10 years but never lived together(christian background).

I completely screwed up the due diligence bit and announced our wedding for november before knowing the steps to complete so we could go ahead to marry and then live in the uk.

Option 1
I thought it would be straightforward, apply for marriage visitor visa, move back to new zealand, complete settlement visa application under husband applicant.

Option 2
When actually I could apply for the settlement visa as spouse/civil partnership. That way we could just marry and then stay on in the uk without the need to go back to nz.

Looks like I will have to push out the wedding and go for the 2nd option.
my question is around proof of relationship. we had to be living together for two years? Im not sure weather that means utility bills with our names and same address. Or is it more a proof of genuine love for each other with photos, important dates, trips and written statements as I read in the threads.

If the burden isnt required in the visitor visa, would that be better?

She works in finance and we are able to meet the financial requirement. which would be better to apply for? option 1 or option 2?

also as a side question, priority service. timeframes only express that they'll expedite my application and put it to the front of the queue of non-important visa apps. I spoke to visa assistance busineses and they have advised changes in April mean it will take more like 2 months, is that true or maybe it is processed sooner.

Thank you guys kindly for any and all help.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 2:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie, the right visa? Engaged SamoanKiwi proof of relationship

Welcome to BE,

I have moved your thread across to our UK Immigration forum. I'm sure someone will be along shortly to help you.
Old Sep 8th 2017, 4:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: newbie, the right visa? Engaged SamoanKiwi proof of relationship

Originally Posted by samoankiwi
Hi team,

Im Orlando from wellington. Ill try a brief background, have been engaged to my girl since december 2016, she left for london 3 years ago and we had not been together during that time. Of course that time and distance makes you realize what matters, hence proposing last year. we've been together on and off for the last 10 years but never lived together(christian background).

I completely screwed up the due diligence bit and announced our wedding for november before knowing the steps to complete so we could go ahead to marry and then live in the uk.

Option 1
I thought it would be straightforward, apply for marriage visitor visa, move back to new zealand, complete settlement visa application under husband applicant.

Option 2
When actually I could apply for the settlement visa as spouse/civil partnership. That way we could just marry and then stay on in the uk without the need to go back to nz.

Looks like I will have to push out the wedding and go for the 2nd option.
my question is around proof of relationship. we had to be living together for two years? Im not sure weather that means utility bills with our names and same address. Or is it more a proof of genuine love for each other with photos, important dates, trips and written statements as I read in the threads.

If the burden isnt required in the visitor visa, would that be better?

She works in finance and we are able to meet the financial requirement. which would be better to apply for? option 1 or option 2?

also as a side question, priority service. timeframes only express that they'll expedite my application and put it to the front of the queue of non-important visa apps. I spoke to visa assistance busineses and they have advised changes in April mean it will take more like 2 months, is that true or maybe it is processed sooner.

Thank you guys kindly for any and all help.
For the spouse visa if you are not married you have the PROVE you have been living together in a relationship akin the marriage for the two years, so yes, joint bills, bank accounts etc are necessary, if married there is no need for such proof.