NEED HELP! WHICH TEST DO I BOOK

Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:58 am
Banned

sherkoshadab is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation NEED HELP! WHICH TEST DO I BOOK

Hi

everyone I'm in the early stages of applying a visa for my wife. I wanted to book her test for the A1 English language test but the website is coming up with Life Skills General and UKVI. Does she have to do both or just one?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 6:35 am
Forum Regular

Hydreliox is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: NEED HELP! WHICH TEST DO I BOOK

Thanks for flagging this up - I will have the same issue.

Just found this on their website....although doesn't give me a huge amount of clarification...

"IELTS for UKVI General Training

Suitable for Tier 1, Tier 2 and Tier 4 UK Visas and Immigration applications IELTS for UKVI General Training is for test takers wishing to migrate to the UK and for those wishing to train or study below degree level.

Components: Listening, Reading, Writing and Speaking

IELTS Life Skills A1

A1 on the CEFR / ESOL Entry 1 on NQF IELTS Life Skills A1 is for people who need to prove their English speaking and listening skills at Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) level A1 as part of their application to UKVI for Family, Spouse or Partner visa.

Components: Speaking and Listening"

I would assume it is based on IELTS Life Skills A1 for a spouse application, based upon the underlined sentence. Someone will be along to help us both better understand this shortly I imagine
Old Oct 14th 2017, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

ryongsong is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you are (understandably) getting confused between the regular IELTS exam and the Life Skills exam. The regular IELTS exam has two different modules, Academic and General Training, and they are delivered in both UKVI-approved delivery centres and non-UKVI approved centres.

I believe it is possible to do a regular IELTS test in an UKVI approved centre in order to prove the English language ability required for the settlement visa, but I wouldn't do it because it would just confuse an inexperienced ECO.

You should just take the Life Skills A1 test. It's cheaper, you get the results quicker, and only speaking and listening are tested. The confusing thing is that it is branded 'the IELTS Life Skills test' - just make sure the test you are taking includes the words 'Life Skills'.

Edited to add: the Life Skills test is specifically designed to meet the UKVI requirements for settlement visas and only takes place in UKVI approved centres.

What is IELTS for UKVI? | Take IELTS

Last edited by ryongsong; Oct 14th 2017 at 7:01 am.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

TimeToApply is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to pass the IELTS Life Skills A1 test. I've booked it in the past month, use the link ryongsong gave you and navigate towards the bottom and click "Book IELTS for UKVI".

The same site has various sample tests on also if u need to practice.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

j4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond repute

Life Skills A1 is what you'll need
Old Oct 15th 2017, 2:18 pm
Forum Regular

Bobjon is an unknown quantity at this point

all you do is go and book the test life skills test then the provider will either call you and ask you which test you want to take or you can usually choose via there portal.