My wife is a US national, we live in Greece

Old Apr 29th 2003, 11:43 am
Just Joined

quirk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My wife is a US national, we live in Greece

We live in Greece. I am a UK national and my wife is a US national. Her visa (which is independent of our marriage) runs out in a couple of months. It is renewable, but I was wondering if it is easier to get a spouse visa so that she vould reside here based on my EU rights of abode. If so, does anyone have any idea how to do this in a third country. Finding anything out round here is virtually impossible!

Can anyone help?
Old Apr 29th 2003, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

DCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really niceDCMark is just really nice

Sorry, you are in a message group for US based marriage visas, not EU spouse visas.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 1:03 pm
Andy Platt

Default Re: My wife is a US national, we live in Greece

Finding out in this forum is going to be even harder

I suggest that your first point of contact should be the British consulate
in Greece. I can imagine that this is going to be one of those silly areas
where though you have the right to live and work in another EU country, your
wife might not without first getting residence in the UK which would require
moving back there. Anyway, contact the embassy / consulate.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.
"quirk" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > We live in Greece. I am a UK national and my wife is a US national. Her
    > visa (which is independent of our marriage) runs out in a couple of
    > months. It is renewable, but I was wondering if it is easier to get a
    > spouse visa so that she vould reside here based on my EU rights of
    > abode. If so, does anyone have any idea how to do this in a third
    > country. Finding anything out round here is virtually impossible!
    > Can anyone help?
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Apr 29th 2003, 2:26 pm
L D Jones

quirk wrote:
    >
    > We live in Greece. I am a UK national and my wife is a US national. Her
    > visa (which is independent of our marriage) runs out in a couple of
    > months. It is renewable, but I was wondering if it is easier to get a
    > spouse visa so that she vould reside here based on my EU rights of
    > abode. If so, does anyone have any idea how to do this in a third
    > country. Finding anything out round here is virtually impossible!
    >
    > Can anyone help?

Try misc.immigration.misc (I don't know if that is carried by
britishexpats)

Old Apr 29th 2003, 5:46 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by quirk
We live in Greece. I am a UK national and my wife is a US national. Her visa (which is independent of our marriage) runs out in a couple of months. It is renewable, but I was wondering if it is easier to get a spouse visa so that she vould reside here based on my EU rights of abode. If so, does anyone have any idea how to do this in a third country. Finding anything out round here is virtually impossible!

Can anyone help?
Yia sas!

First, my fellow NGers, I'm so disappointed! I guess no one knows/remembers that this is exactly what I had to go through in Greece last year.

quirk: the process is (of course) long and involved, but not as bad as when you'll want to come to the US. Your USC wife is entitled to a 5 year residence/work permit based on your EU citz and she should start her application *now*. Don't go to the police; you will need to find the immigration person at your local Dimos. You'll fill out an application with him and he will tell you what you must pay for at the Tax Office. You make a trip up there, wait in line (of course) and pay 440 euros and take the receipt back to the Dimos with 4 photos. Your wife then gets a temporary card and within 4-6 weeks, the Immigration Office at the Pereferia for your district will call with your appointment date. If you don't have *your* residency card from the police (yes, you're supposed to have one...it costs 30 cents), you may be required to present it at some point.

At your 'interview' you will be asked if your marriage is stable/genuine, and in about 2 weeks (Zeus willing) you can go back and pick up the Residency card. You'll have to get it laminated yourself if you want.

This card/status is called Adeia Paramonees (phonetically) and that's the application you want to ask for at your initial Dimos.

This type of immigration is decided by your Regional Government (Notioy Aigaioy in our case). We went to our village Dimos in Archangelos, but the Regional Office is Rodos for the Dodekanese.

Should you decide to come to the US, I have lots of info on doing that from Greece as well. FYI, it took us 33 days to get my UKC husband's Green Card.

Feel free to write back if there's any more I can add.
Old Apr 29th 2003, 5:55 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by meauxna
Yia sas!

First, my fellow NGers, I'm so disappointed! I guess no one knows/remembers that this is exactly what I had to go through in Greece last year.

I did and at first thought I was reading your story ;-)

But then I only just now saw this post !

Rete
Old Apr 29th 2003, 6:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rete
I did and at first thought I was reading your story ;-)

But then I only just now saw this post !

Rete

Jeez, what weird memories this brought back, too. The initial immigration guy (the local one) is SO corrupt...I think I won't detail online what we had to do to get action on our case... we won't scare the poor OP right off the bat! <g>

Good Morning, Rita
Old Apr 29th 2003, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Caro is an unknown quantity at this point

We just knew you would hop in on the thread

Caroline
Old Apr 30th 2003, 12:55 am
Just Joined

quirk is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much. I thought that this might be the procedure, but i was hoping (foolishly) to avoid the tax office!
Old Apr 30th 2003, 2:37 am
Howling at the Moon

lairdside will become famous soon enoughlairdside will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by meauxna
Yia sas!

quirk: the process is (of course) long and involved, but not as bad as when you'll want to come to the US. Your USC wife is entitled to a 5 year residence/work permit based on your EU citz and she should start her application *now*. Don't go to the police; you will need to find the immigration person at your local Dimos. You'll fill out an application with him and he will tell you what you must pay for at the Tax Office. You make a trip up there, wait in line (of course) and pay 440 euros and take the receipt back to the Dimos with 4 photos. Your wife then gets a temporary card and within 4-6 weeks, the Immigration Office at the Pereferia for your district will call with your appointment date. If you don't have *your* residency card from the police (yes, you're supposed to have one...it costs 30 cents), you may be required to present it at some point.

At your 'interview' you will be asked if your marriage is stable/genuine, and in about 2 weeks (Zeus willing) you can go back and pick up the Residency card. You'll have to get it laminated yourself if you want.

This card/status is called Adeia Paramonees (phonetically) and that's the application you want to ask for at your initial Dimos.

This type of immigration is decided by your Regional Government (Notioy Aigaioy in our case). We went to our village Dimos in Archangelos, but the Regional Office is Rodos for the Dodekanese.

Should you decide to come to the US, I have lots of info on doing that from Greece as well. FYI, it took us 33 days to get my UKC husband's Green Card.

Feel free to write back if there's any more I can add.
Is this similar to an EEA Family Permit ?
Old Apr 30th 2003, 4:40 pm

Originally posted by lairdside
Is this similar to an EEA Family Permit ?
No, it's Greek Residency (they call it a Green Card, in fact) based on my marriage. At one time, it would only have been open to me by marriage to a Greek, but now they have to honor all EU citz as autmatically resident.
Was not difficult to get, but expensive and time-consuming (but hey, other than go to the beach, what did we have to do? )