Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

My wife in hong kong applid for spouse visa using photocopies....

My wife in hong kong applid for spouse visa using photocopies....

Old Jul 9th 2015, 12:20 am
Just Joined

Spoonhead is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My wife in hong kong applied for spouse visa using photocopies....

I scanned in my documents for her. Driving liscence, passport, bank statements etc and she has given printout to the application centre in Hong Kong.

I don't think this was a good idea and was wondering if I could just give my original documents to home office here. Would they they just request these during investigation or flat out refuse? This is what I'm worried about.

Last edited by Spoonhead; Jul 9th 2015 at 12:44 am. Reason: Spelling
Old Jul 9th 2015, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: My wife in hong kong applid for spouse visa using photocopies....

Yeah thanks for the help.....
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:34 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spoonhead
Yeah thanks for the help.....
People on this forum do have lives, please do not get annoyed when you do not get a reply instantly. Perhaps those that can help are at work at the moment. Someone will be along to assist you when they can, everyone gives their time etc for free, so may have other pressing matters to take care of first.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

There is no way of knowing if the documents will be accepted or not but the rules do say that originals are required and UKVI are generally strict about that. You cannot submit documents after you have sent your application etc. unless they ask for them. You can only hope that they request the originals or accept the copies.
Old Jul 9th 2015, 7:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My wife in hong kong applied for spouse visa using photocopies....

I scanned in my documents for her. Driving liscence, passport, bank statements etc and she has given printout to the application centre in Hong Kong.
Spoonhead

Just a quick question - does your wife holds British National (Overseas) status?
Old Jul 9th 2015, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Sorry for the snarky comment... I'm just stressing out over the situation. I apologise.

In that case I really do hope they at least request because I'm heading to Hong Kong on 22nd this month and I could obviously take the documents with me.

As fofor being an oversees British national I'm not sure. I think remember her telling me something about that.

She was on a 2 year working holiday visa here in London when I met her if that any clue.

I'll message her when she wakes up. Why do you ask?
Old Jul 12th 2015, 3:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HKG3
Spoonhead

Just a quick question - does your wife holds British National (Overseas) status?
As fofor being an oversees British national I'm not sure. I think remember her telling me that.
Why do you ask?
Possibly *very* long shot:

BNOs who held no other citizenship on 19 March 2009 are entitled to register as full British citizens.

Otherwise, if original docs were specified in the application, you'll need to wait for the to be requested, or for the application to be returned.
Old Jul 12th 2015, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

As fofor being an oversees British national I'm not sure. I think remember her telling me something about that.

She was on a 2 year working holiday visa here in London when I met her if that any clue.

I'll message her when she wakes up. Why do you ask?
The reason I am asking this question is that there is a number of plus points to apply for an UK spouse visa using a British National (Overseas) Passport -

1) She will be treated as a Commonwealth Citizen in the UK, which would enable her to register to vote in UK elections. Being on the electoral roll in the UK helps your wife's credit score.

Who can register to vote? | Registering to vote | Coventry City Council

2) If she applies for British Citizenship, she can 'register' rather than naturalisation using the B(OTA) form, which is cheaper (£913 vs £1005 in 2015 prices).

https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...tish-nationals
Old Jul 12th 2015, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

Ohh wow! Thanks for that Info. She's told me she has a British national overseas passport but also a hi passport. The hk passport would hinder things a bit right? Because it's another citizenship.

It's still a good idea to register for electoral role though?
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

If she holds a HKSAR passport, she's a citizen of China. That negates my long-shot regarding British citizenship, even if she has a BNO passport too.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ohh wow! Thanks for that Info. She's told me she has a British national overseas passport but also a hi passport. The hk passport would hinder things a bit right? Because it's another citizenship.

It's still a good idea to register for electoral role though?
Spoonhead

I cannot see any harm for your wife being on the electoral roll once she is in the UK with her spouse visa. As I said in my earlier post, credit agencies sometimes use electoral roll information as a way to determine a person's credit score.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

We're digressing quite a lot from your original question ,

This is heavy-going, but might be worth a read:
https://www.gov.uk/register-british-...tish-nationals

You & she really need to know if she holds a BNO passport &/or an HKSAR one, to check whether she *might* be eligible for British citizenship (by descent, possibly). Were/are either of her parents British citizens and/or in Crown Service?

/digression.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

Yeah, a lot of digressing indeed haha
Wasn't expecting so much usefull information when I posted but these longshots might salvage the photocopy situation.

Of course I'll give that link a scan through. Thanks so much!

To clarify the passport situation, she has a BNO passport and HK passport. All her family were born there.
Old Jul 13th 2015, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

If your wife needs a Spouse Visa, & if the documentary requirements stipulate originals, you'll just have to wait & see whether the Powers That Be request the originals or reject her application (if the latter is the case, & if the rejection is just because of photocopies, you can apply again).

Still musing on *very* long shots about possible citizenship (see my various questions above ).
Old Jul 16th 2015, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Spoonhead

Another point - does your wife have a Hong Kong driving licence? She can exchange her Hong Kong driving licence to an UK one without doing a driving test as long as she got her Hong Kong driving licence by passing a driving test in Hong Kong.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence

If she does not have any driving licence just now, it is a good time to start learning before coming to the UK. Having a driving licence when you arrive in the UK make things a lot easier.

HK SCHOOL OF MOTORING - DRIVING LICENCES

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.