My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Old Mar 9th 2018, 9:02 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My experience of going the Surinder Singh route so far

Originally Posted by 123Speak
Hello,

It was really weird as in the UK you need to prove so much in terms of income in order to remain, and most are refused. In Portugal so long as one of you is an EU member and you have 3000 Euros in a Portugees bank account on a bank statement my lawyer said we can apply. You don't seem to need to even prove work in order to stay here. I almost laughed when I heard it was only 3000 Euros(Not income but just in the account).

The hardest part is you need a long term rental contract. If you apply at the wrong time it is hard to get long term rentals as everyone is aiming at the tourist short term rentals. If you live a little further from the coast you could find but best to look now not later. Portugal used to be dirt poor not too long ago so you should be able to find something. Our 3 bedroom apartment is 500 euros a month in central Faro but this is a really good deal and through a friend.

The good thing is it is warm here so less energy costs and more comfortable unless you live in some place that is really really old.

You could probably do everything in 2 months with a lawyer. But in order to prove to the UK government, you need to stay much longer. Our lawyer was dirt cheap. You don't have to be in the country 100 percent of the time after the process.

Jobs are all related to tourism, maybe if you have TESOL you could teach English. But you don't need a job for the visa to stay here only 3000Euros and one of you to be EU citizen.

We still need to sort out our health insurance, until you get a permanent visa you can use the EU health Insurance card if you have one from the UK. If you don't have one order one form the UK government website.

In order to open a bank account and rent you first need a NIF number which is easy to get if you have lived in an EU address and have a proof of address (utility bill, etc.). So keep those Electricity/Gas Bills! You probably only need one. Our Lawyer sorted out our NIF and I think it cost us 60 Euros each but ask about cost before going ahead.

I would talk through everything that I have talked with you with the lawyer. almancilservicos.com who are in FARO and helped us. Some things we could have done ourselves but they made it very quick and easy and they know the system. Ask for Alexandra.

The people are much more foreigner friendly in my opinion, just let them know that you love portugal.
Tourist season's coming up. Lots of hotels, bars and resorts will be hiring English-speaking staff, often through agencies.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

saam is an unknown quantity at this point

Good Morning all

I need your help and advice. I am a British citizen living in UK. My wife & child are also in UK.

However, my mother is in India (aged 66, widow) and financially dependent on me. We have had applied for elderly dependency visa after 2012 and got refusal. Hire best solicitor and spent thousands of pounds nearly 20 to 30K but nothing happed.
My father was born in GOA when Portuguese were ruling there. I have my father Portuguese nationality paper and I have registered my parent’s civil marriage in Portugal. Through that I have applied mine Portuguese nationality and I will get that soon or later.
My question is..
Once I get that I will be British/Portuguese national. Can I apply for my mother as EEA national or I am British first so I have to follow the British rules?
Or do I have to go live in Portugal and do surrender Singh route?

Please advise
Sam
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:02 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by saam
Good Morning all

I need your help and advice. I am a British citizen living in UK. My wife & child are also in UK.

However, my mother is in India (aged 66, widow) and financially dependent on me. We have had applied for elderly dependency visa after 2012 and got refusal. Hire best solicitor and spent thousands of pounds nearly 20 to 30K but nothing happed.
My father was born in GOA when Portuguese were ruling there. I have my father Portuguese nationality paper and I have registered my parent’s civil marriage in Portugal. Through that I have applied mine Portuguese nationality and I will get that soon or later.
My question is..
Once I get that I will be British/Portuguese national. Can I apply for my mother as EEA national or I am British first so I have to follow the British rules?
Or do I have to go live in Portugal and do surrender Singh route?

Please advise
Sam
Sorry to hear that you wasted so much money. Unfortunately there are a lot of unscrupulous lawyers who will happily take your money even when they know that is little to no chance of success.

To answer your question, if you are a British citizen then that will supersede any EEA freedom of movement rights you might have, the main exception being the Surinder Singh route.

It is possible to obtain Portuguese citizenship through marriage. Whether it is possible to obtain citizenship after the relevant spouse is deceased I don't know.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Yes, these lawyers know that there is no chance of success and still take a case charge in thousands of pounds. My mother cant get Portuguese nationality as my father is not alive.

But i will Portuguese national within few weeks, my work is already done. So i can i sponsor my mother from uk as a EU national ?

Many thanks
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:11 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Yes, these lawyers know that there is no chance of success and still take a case charge in thousands of pounds. My mother cant get Portuguese nationality as my father is not alive.

But i will Portuguese national within few weeks, my work is already done. So i can i sponsor my mother from uk as a EU national ?

Many thanks
Unfortunately not.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

so it means i need to live in Portugal and follow surrender Singh route, right?
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Can someone advice me on this?

"The right to free movement means that every EU citizen is entitled to travel freely around the Member States of the European Union, and settle anywhere within its territory. No special formalities are required to enter an EU country. This fundamental right extends to members of the EU citizen's family, and applies regardless of their situation or the reason for travel or residence."

Basically suggests i could just turn up with my mother from India to any EU county?.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 7:19 pm
Forum Regular

Invisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond repute

Reading this thread it's little surprise the UK voted to leave the EU.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:02 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Invisible
Reading this thread it's little surprise the UK voted to leave the EU.
But here's the kicker. This thread is about Brits using a legal EU ruling to bring their non-EU spouses and family members to the UK because in 2012 the UK government decided Brits should have to meet an income requirement that no other nationality migrating to the UK has to meet except for certain work visas.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

Invisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee
But here's the kicker. This thread is about Brits using a legal EU ruling to bring their non-EU spouses and family members to the UK because in 2012 the UK government decided Brits should have to meet an income requirement that no other nationality migrating to the UK has to meet except for certain work visas.
Many of the posts such as the previous few are about trying to bypass the rules on chain migration.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 8:30 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Invisible
Many of the posts such as the previous few are about trying to bypass the rules on chain migration.
There are no specific rules on chain migration.
Old Mar 23rd 2018, 10:34 pm

so it means i need to live in Portugal and follow surrender Singh route, right?
Please advice
Can someone advice me on this?

"The right to free movement means that every EU citizen is entitled to travel freely around the Member States of the European Union, and settle anywhere within its territory. No special formalities are required to enter an EU country. This fundamental right extends to members of the EU citizen's family, and applies regardless of their situation or the reason for travel or residence."

Basically suggests i could just turn up with my mother from India to any EU county?.
She is likely to require a permit or visa in order to travel. You would need to demonstrate that your mother was dependent on you to be successful.
Old Mar 26th 2018, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
She is likely to require a permit or visa in order to travel. You would need to demonstrate that your mother was dependent on you to be successful.
Many thanks for advice BritInParis

This is what i am going to do.

1. Move to any country in Europe i.e Germany

2. Get Schengen VISA for my from India ( do i need to send any document to her) i was reading on this forum that .. spouse/depended family ( parents ) don't require visa to host country. I could just turn up with my mother from India to any EU county i.e Germany ( Please someone advice me on this)

3. I works in Gernmany

4. Before the end of three months. My mother apply for a residence card ( how long does it take to get one and what documents do i need to provide)

5. When ready to return to UK my mother applies for an EEA family permit in Germany ( where do i need to apply this ( UK embassy in Germany) and what kind of supporting documents )

6. Travel back to UK tougher

7. Apply for a UK family member of an EEA national

I will really appreciate it if someone can guide on this.

Many thanks
Sam
Old Mar 27th 2018, 1:24 am

Many thanks for advice BritInParis

This is what i am going to do.

1. Move to any country in Europe i.e Germany

2. Get Schengen VISA for my from India ( do i need to send any document to her) i was reading on this forum that .. spouse/depended family ( parents ) don't require visa to host country. I could just turn up with my mother from India to any EU county i.e Germany ( Please someone advice me on this)

3. I works in Gernmany

4. Before the end of three months. My mother apply for a residence card ( how long does it take to get one and what documents do i need to provide)

5. When ready to return to UK my mother applies for an EEA family permit in Germany ( where do i need to apply this ( UK embassy in Germany) and what kind of supporting documents )

6. Travel back to UK tougher

7. Apply for a UK family member of an EEA national

I will really appreciate it if someone can guide on this.

Many thanks
Sam
That is the theory. Whether it would work in practice remains to be seen. I would urge caution as there's no guarantee it will work.

Once you have moved to Germany and found work your mother should apply for a Schengen visa to join you. She will then need to be registered with the German authorities within three months.

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizen...y/index_en.htm

In order for your application for an EEA Family Permit to be successful you will need to demonstrate that you have 'moved the centre of your life' to Germany. Failure to do so will result in a refusal. This usually means 6-12 months of living and working in Germany and showing how you have integrated.

https://www.gov.uk/family-permit/surinder-singh

Providing the permit is granted your mother can then travel back to the UK with you and apply for her EEA residence card. This is normally valid for five years but will become invalidated once Brexit has taken place. In theory your mother will then be granted the new 'settled' status but it's unclear at the moment.
Old Apr 12th 2018, 7:56 am
Just Joined

ANDREW NIX is an unknown quantity at this point

hello I am a BC working in Romania for 6 months . My Non EU wife and step daugher from Pakistan have been living together here for 4 months. We are waiting for their residency card arriving in may or even sooner. we have solid evidence of living together here and before.
1)How soon can i apply for EEA FP under Surrinder Singh ruling ?
2)Do we have to pay for the application ?
3)Provided we are successfull and move to the UK do I have to work in the Uk while my Family apply and wait for EEA2 or can I continue to work overseas to provide for the family.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.