My American girlfriend wants to visit me in the UK

Old Feb 7th 2016, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

989jth is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My American girlfriend wants to visit me in the UK

My girlfriend is a US citizen and I'm a British citizen. We met in October 2015 whilst she was studying for a semester in the UK between September - Decemeber 2015. She was studying on a tier 4 study visa.

My question is, is that despite her having been allowed to stay in the UK for 3 months, will she still be allowed to visit me in March 2016 for 10 days as a tourist as part of the visa waiver programme? Or will the immigration officer be in inclined to refuse her entry as a tourist due to her recent stay on a visa?
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My American girlfriend wants to visit me in the UK

If she can show strong ties with the US - return ticket, accommodation in US, college course she should be fine.
Old Feb 7th 2016, 10:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My American girlfriend wants to visit me in the UK

Providing your girlfriend has a return ticket, proof of funds and ties to the US then she should be fine. There's no 'visa waiver programme' for the UK but you're right in the sense that she doesn't need to apply for a visa in advance to visit the UK for up to six months. Her length of stay is at the discretion of the Immigration Officer at the border.