moving to the uk

Old Sep 23rd 2015, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Jimmyboy12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default moving to the uk

Hi guys
I currently live in johanesburg south africa and im considering moving to the UK with my fiance I dont see a future for us here and most of my family stay in nottingham and lancaster my question is would it be a good idea? And what is the process eg.passport ect.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 11:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: moving to the uk

Originally Posted by Jimmyboy12
Hi guys
I currently live in johanesburg south africa and im considering moving to the UK with my fiance I dont see a future for us here and most of my family stay in nottingham and lancaster my question is would it be a good idea? And what is the process eg.passport ect.
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You've not actually said, but I assume you're a UK citizen?
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 11:31 am
Just Joined

Jimmyboy12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Hi, and welcome to BE.

You've not actually said, but I assume you're a UK citizen?
I was born in south africa but my mum was born in the UK so if im not wrong I would be able to get a british passport because of that
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimmyboy12
I was born in south africa but my mum was born in the UK so if im not wrong I would be able to get a british passport because of that
Assuming she was a citizen, otherwise than by descent, then yes, you will be a citizen by descent, so you need to get your UK passport, and then look into the spouse visa to get your fiancee to the UK, unless she is also a British Citizen.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Assuming she was a citizen, otherwise than by descent, then yes, you will be a citizen by descent, so you need to get your UK passport, and then look into the spouse visa to get your fiancee to the UK, unless she is also a British Citizen.
Or she has British granparents for Ancestry visa.
Old Sep 23rd 2015, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

It is a good idea for you to get a British Passport first -

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

All British Passport applications are process in the UK. The link above would be the starting point of the application process.

If you want to move to the UK with your fiance, you will need a spouse visa. Please see link below for info -

https://www.gov.uk/remain-in-uk-family/overview
Old Sep 26th 2015, 10:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

First of all, you should apply for your British passport.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

Does your fiancée have any similar European ancestry, parents or grandparents born in Europe? It may entitle her to a passport or visa which would make moving to the UK a lot easier than a spouse visa.