Moving Home with Fiance (Criminal Record)

Old Sep 25th 2014, 7:03 am
Just Joined

lucky1313 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving Home with Fiance (Criminal Record)

Hello, i need some advice please.

I am originally from UK, My partner is from US, I have been with him for the past 3 months in US, but we have been together for almost 5 years now. It has always been me visiting him for 3 months at a time as he was on parol after serving a 10 year sentence for drug charges. (please dont judge the law system in US is way over the top to begin with, and he was only 20 at the time, serving in the army prior, plus being abandoned by his drug addict mother and abused for years didn't help his mental state of mind) However, he is back on his feet now, working a normal job and has grown into a wonderful man, and has been since returning home. My question is, seeing as he has no family here in US, we would like to go home to UK and be with my family again. Is this even possible for him to be accepted into England, once we are married, seeing as he has a criminal conviction?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Old Sep 25th 2014, 1:39 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Home with Fiance (Criminal Record)

Originally Posted by lucky1313
Hello, i need some advice please.

I am originally from UK, My partner is from US, I have been with him for the past 3 months in US, but we have been together for almost 5 years now. It has always been me visiting him for 3 months at a time as he was on parol after serving a 10 year sentence for drug charges. (please dont judge the law system in US is way over the top to begin with, and he was only 20 at the time, serving in the army prior, plus being abandoned by his drug addict mother and abused for years didn't help his mental state of mind) However, he is back on his feet now, working a normal job and has grown into a wonderful man, and has been since returning home. My question is, seeing as he has no family here in US, we would like to go home to UK and be with my family again. Is this even possible for him to be accepted into England, once we are married, seeing as he has a criminal conviction?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you
Hi Lucky. I really think your best bet would be to book an initial appointment with a good immigration solicitor/agent. Although there's no definitive list of who will and won't be excluded from the UK for any particular offence, there's no use pretending that a 10 year custodial sentence for drug offences isn't significant in terms of emigrating to another country (and I know you're not saying it's insignificant).

Your partner has obviously made a huge effort to turn his life around - I'm sure having you has helped enormously with that! I really do wish both of you the best of luck - do have that talk with a professional though, at least then you'll know the facts.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 3:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

lgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond reputelgabriel73 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Home with Fiance (Criminal Record)

10 years sentence is pretty hefty so I assume these are serious felony charges. I think spouse of a scouse is right you need to speak to an immigration attorney as they will be able to advise you based on what the charges were, how long ago etc. Even if you get married it won't change anything in relation to his criminal history. Best of luck!