MN1 - Biometric Enrolment - from USA?

Old Apr 1st 2015, 2:35 am
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute
Default MN1 - Biometric Enrolment - from USA?

The MN1 Form has changed and now requires applicants to supply/go for Biometric Enrolment. However, the guide only gives info for how to do this at a Post Office in the UK.

There is a link in the MN1 Guide for info for those applying from outside the UK but it goes to the page pasted below. For the USA is states "rollout schedule" for Biometric Enrolment is 31 May 2015. Does that mean applications from those in the USA do not need Biometric enrolement if sent prior to 31 May 2015?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...chedule_v2.pdf

Thanks!

Last edited by NiHao; Apr 1st 2015 at 2:52 am. Reason: date correction
Old Apr 1st 2015, 10:39 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MN1 - Biometric Enrolment - from USA?

Anyone over the age of six applying for registration as a British citizen now must enrol their biometric information, i.e. fingerprints. Guide MN1 suggests that you will sent a biometric enrolment letter after you apply telling you where to go.

Looking at that roll-out schedule I'd be interested to know where they will be getting people to go in North Korea or Ascension Island.
Old Apr 1st 2015, 11:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

NiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond reputeNiHao has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I saw that. So are you thinking it means that if you are in the USA and apply today you won't even be able to be fingerprinted until some time after 31 May?
Old Apr 1st 2015, 11:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NiHao
Yes, I saw that. So are you thinking it means that if you are in the USA and apply today you won't even be able to be fingerprinted until some time after 31 May?
Looks that way although I'm having trouble finding the "British Nationality (General) (Amendment) (2) Regulations 2014" they refer to. It only seems to exist as a reference on the latest immigration application forms. I presume they mean the British Nationality (General) (Amendment) Regulations 2015. Those come into force on 6 April.

The British Nationality (General) (Amendment) Regulations 2015
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't really understand the need for children's fingerprints.

Maybe they have discovered that there are large numbers of children with criminal histories applying for British Citizenship?

Perhaps British Citizenship is greatly coveted by 7 year old criminal masterminds?

Maybe it's been shown that children who receive their British citizenship via an MN1 application go on to be responsible for most crime in the UK so having their fingerprints on file makes it easier to catch them and stop their dastardly ways?

It's not so much that I mind the waste of time and money (much) it's the frustration of how can it be a requirement before they've even "rolled out" anywhere for your child to be "biometrically enrolled"

Thinking calming thoughts
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by NiHao
I don't really understand the need for children's fingerprints.

Maybe they have discovered that there are large numbers of children with criminal histories applying for British Citizenship?

Perhaps British Citizenship is greatly coveted by 7 year old criminal masterminds?

Maybe it's been shown that children who receive their British citizenship via an MN1 application go on to be responsible for most crime in the UK so having their fingerprints on file makes it easier to catch them and stop their dastardly ways?

It's not so much that I mind the waste of time and money (much) it's the frustration of how can it be a requirement before they've even "rolled out" anywhere for your child to be "biometrically enrolled"

Thinking calming thoughts
Less to do with criminal records and more to do with unscrupulous parents passing off other people's children as their own or vice versa. Given that British citizens are fingerprinted every time they enter the US it's perhaps a small price to pay to become a British citizen whilst living in the US.

As for the processing times you will be waiting at least that long for the application to be finalised, biometrics or not.
Old Apr 2nd 2015, 12:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Interesting, except how do my children's fingerprints prove they are my children?