Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

MN1 – ‘Reckonable Period’ - Marriage certificate photocopy - Translations

MN1 – ‘Reckonable Period’ - Marriage certificate photocopy - Translations

Old Aug 18th 2014, 3:30 am
Just Joined

4rthur is an unknown quantity at this point
Default MN1 – ‘Reckonable Period’ - Marriage certificate photocopy - Translations

Hello

I am in the process of filling our form MN1 and am applying under 3(2) so that my daughter can be registered as a British citizen and so apply a UK passport. My daughter was born in Korea to a father (me) who is 'British by decent' and a mother who is Korean. We are all in Korea and understand that by using form MN1 now she will become 'British by descent' rather than fully British.

I have 3 questions. Any help and guidance much appreciated. I have read the guide carefully, but unfortunately am still unclear.

3 year reckonable period.
The form asks for addresses during a '3 year reckonable period' and then asks for periods of absences during this period. It seems picky to ask but can I pick any three years? Should it be the most recent 3 years? I don't understand what reckonable means here..

My Marriage certificate is a photocopy.
I have brought many documents to Korea but all I have in terms of our marriage certificate is a photocopy. If I send this will the application be automatically rejected..? It seems to me it might. But then is the application dependant on me being married to my wife? Surly my daughter could still apply if we were not married..?

My Daughter's birth certificate is (obviously!) in Korean.
Are we expected to supply some sort of certificated document in English? I guess an application using non English documents takes longer...?

Not sure if asking 3 questions in one thread is correct etiquette. Once again thanks for reading and any help. and apologies in advance if I have not read something properly which is spelled out in the guide.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MN1 – ‘Reckonable Period’ - Marriage certificate photocopy - Translations

If a child is born abroad it is a good idea to register the birth at UK Embassy. It may be too late for you but others might like to think about this. One of the consequences of doing this is that copies are then available at a later date - from a UK source.

Last edited by scot47; Aug 18th 2014 at 9:58 am.
Old Aug 18th 2014, 8:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: MN1 – ‘Reckonable Period’ - Marriage certificate photocopy - Translations

Originally Posted by 4rthur
Hello

I am in the process of filling our form MN1 and am applying under 3(2) so that my daughter can be registered as a British citizen and so apply a UK passport. My daughter was born in Korea to a father (me) who is 'British by decent' and a mother who is Korean. We are all in Korea and understand that by using form MN1 now she will become 'British by descent' rather than fully British.
She'll also became British by descent rather than British otherwise than by descent which would be your other option if she came to the UK on a visa lived for three years before you registered her under Section 3(5). I wouldn't describe the latter as being 'fully' British however - both options confer British citizenship.

I have 3 questions. Any help and guidance much appreciated. I have read the guide carefully, but unfortunately am still unclear.

3 year reckonable period.
The form asks for addresses during a '3 year reckonable period' and then asks for periods of absences during this period. It seems picky to ask but can I pick any three years? Should it be the most recent 3 years? I don't understand what reckonable means here..
That would be three consecutive years you spent in the UK that you can prove with supporting documents - school records, payslips, P60s, etc..

My Marriage certificate is a photocopy.
I have brought many documents to Korea but all I have in terms of our marriage certificate is a photocopy. If I send this will the application be automatically rejected..? It seems to me it might. But then is the application dependant on me being married to my wife? Surly my daughter could still apply if we were not married..?
Depends on when your daughter was born. Unmarried British fathers could not pass on their citizenship until July 2006. Did you marry in the UK? If so you could simply order another copy of your marriage from the GRO if the original is not available.

My Daughter's birth certificate is (obviously!) in Korean.
Are we expected to supply some sort of certificated document in English? I guess an application using non English documents takes longer...?

Not sure if asking 3 questions in one thread is correct etiquette. Once again thanks for reading and any help. and apologies in advance if I have not read something properly which is spelled out in the guide.
If your daughter's birth certificate is in Korean then you'll need to supply a certified professional English translation to accompany it. A company like Straker Translations can produce a translation certified for Home Office use from a scan of the original.

Originally Posted by scot47
If a child is born abroad it is a good idea to register the birth at UK Embassy. It may be too late for you but others might like to think about this. One of the consequences of doing this is that copies are then available at a later date - from a UK source.
This is not a possibility for the OP's daughter - only children who are automatically British at birth are able to apply for a consular birth certificate. The registration certificate issued by the Home Office would act as evidence of the child's British citizenship.