Mexico/UK marriage

Old Aug 29th 2015, 2:11 am
Just Joined

gdl_brit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mexico/UK marriage

Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can help me with the processes of getting married to my Mexican fiance!

I'm from the UK and she's from Mexico, and we're both currently staying together in Mexico (I have 3 months left of my tourist visa). I'm due to go back to London in November, where I'll make phonecalls, applications, or whatever I need to do before going back to Mexico for the wedding there (we'll have two ceremonies in Mexico and UK for both families, and we want to register the marriage officially in both countries for easier back and forth).

We will have our wedding and registry in Mexico first, then we want to move to London and register/recognise our marriage there too. I have a pretty good idea of what is required for the marriage to register legally in Mexico, but can you guys help me understand what is needed for her to enter the UK after the Mexican registry, as an already married couple?

Any information I'll be happy to give, and I appreciate any help!

Many thanks.
Old Aug 29th 2015, 5:02 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mexico/UK marriage

I'm sure Brit in Paris will be along with detailed info but so far as I am aware, as the UK citizen, you have to sponsor her for a spouse visa if you wish to live in UK. There are financial requirements to meet:
https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf
Old Aug 29th 2015, 7:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gdl_brit
Hey guys,

I'm hoping you can help me with the processes of getting married to my Mexican fiance!

I'm from the UK and she's from Mexico, and we're both currently staying together in Mexico (I have 3 months left of my tourist visa). I'm due to go back to London in November, where I'll make phonecalls, applications, or whatever I need to do before going back to Mexico for the wedding there (we'll have two ceremonies in Mexico and UK for both families, and we want to register the marriage officially in both countries for easier back and forth).

We will have our wedding and registry in Mexico first, then we want to move to London and register/recognise our marriage there too. I have a pretty good idea of what is required for the marriage to register legally in Mexico, but can you guys help me understand what is needed for her to enter the UK after the Mexican registry, as an already married couple?

Any information I'll be happy to give, and I appreciate any help!

Many thanks.
Probably get a wider response from the UK Visa forum, so I'll move your thread there
Old Aug 29th 2015, 8:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You can't get married in two countries - at least not the legal side of things. Once you're married, you're married. If you want to marry in Mexico then that's where your legal marriage will be. If you want to have a ceremony in the UK for your relatives then that's fine but it won't be legally binding. The FCO used to have a facility to deposit your foreign marriage certificates with the General Register Office in order for a record of your overseas marriage on UK records but that was done away with as part of the FCO's massive budget cuts. Your Mexican marriage certificate should therefore be recognised in the UK but bear in mind you'll probably need it apostilled and professionally translated.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/m...overseas-brits

There is no legal requirement to deposit your foreign marriage or civil partnership certificate with the GRO, or to have your marriage/civil partnership recorded in the UK. The deposit of a foreign certificate does not make the marriage legal in the UK, nor does it ‘recognise’ the marriage as a valid one.

The validity in UK law of a marriage or civil partnership contracted in a foreign country is in no way affected by its having been, or not having been, recorded in the UK.
If you want to move to the UK as a married couple then you'll need to sponsor her for a spouse visa. You'll need to meet several requirements, the most onerous of which is the financial requirement.

Have a read of the wiki and then come back with any questions you may have.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Spouse_Immigration-UK

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 29th 2015 at 8:12 am.
Old Sep 14th 2015, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

Judgie is an unknown quantity at this point

As someone has already pointed out you will need to meet financial requirements (earn over £18,000) I think it is £18,600 to be exact. If not savings can come into it but without a job you need at least 65k in savings to have your application considered. I got married to a Mexican woman last year and although we got the spouse visa it is only valid for 30 months when the process has to be repeated to allow for another 30 months. Then you will have to apply for indefinite leave to remain. We went for the same day service at Lunar House in Croydon which cost 1000 but if you do it the postal way you could wait between 3-6 months before you get an answer, which means neither of you have your passports in all that time. Be prepared for a 71 page form to complete and 6 months proof of salary, bank statements and various other proof of existence. By the way we got married in the UK
Old Oct 8th 2015, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

gdl_brit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi guys, sorry for the delay in response, I'm currently between countries.

My question is regarding the £18,600 requirement - I'm due to return to my job when we get back to London, but I haven't been earning that amount. The job I'm returning to pays over that amount, so will be alright to claim that in my application? Or do I need to be earning that amount for a set time before we can apply?

Many thanks.
Old Oct 8th 2015, 6:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You need to show that you are earning 18,600 GBP per annum at time of application.

You say that you are returning to your job but that you have not been earning that amount; and then you go on to say that the job pays over 18,600 GBP per annum.

So not sure what your situation is.

You have to produce payslips and bank statements to prove your salary. You also need to have been employed for more than 6 months in most circumstances.

Read the document below to see how you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ugust_2015.pdf

You also need to show relationship proof and that you have accommodation available in the UK for your spouse.

https://www.gov.uk/join-family-in-uk