Marrying in California?

Old Jan 18th 2016, 6:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marrying in California?

Originally Posted by Ben2795
Her parents were born in USA,her grandfather was born 1915 and left Scotland in his early 20s to Canada where he joined the Canadian RAF.

Her great grandfather was also Scottish and her grandma was born in nova scotia
Did her grandfather became a Canadian citizen?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:01 pm
Forum Regular

Ben2795 is an unknown quantity at this point

She says she assumes he did as he was in the Canadian RAF and all of her uncles were born in Canada except her dad who was born in California,she said they was in California between 1945-1958 roughly.

If he was what would that mean ?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:10 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

She says she assumes he did as he was in the Canadian RAF and all of her uncles were born in Canada except her dad who was born in California,she said they was in California between 1945-1958 roughly.

If he was what would that mean ?
Not necessarily as both Britons and Canadians would have had the common status of British subject until 1 January 1947 when a separate Canadian citizenship was introduced. If her father was born in the US, did he then move to Canada at a later date? Does he hold Canadian citizenship?
Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not necessarily as both Britons and Canadians would have had the common status of British subject until 1 January 1947 when a separate Canadian citizenship was introduced. If her father was born in the US, did he then move to Canada at a later date? Does he hold Canadian citizenship?
No they settled in America
Old Jan 18th 2016, 7:16 pm

No they settled in America
Probably not a goer then. If her father was born in Canada then she could get Canadian (and therefore Commonwealth) citizenship by descent. If her grandfather was in Crown service when her father was born then she would potentially already be a British citizen. Doesn't appear that either of those scenarios are the case.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

You read incorrectly regarding the fees. A marriage visitor visa is currently £85, rising to £87 after April. The fiancée visa is US$1472 if applied for in the USA. Again this will rise after April. You then have to pay again for the spouse visa once you're married. This will be £1195 followed by £1195 after two and a half years for Further Leave to Remain and then another £1500 for Indefinite Leave to Remain at the end of five years, if the fees don't increase in the meantime, which they will.

For the applications made in the UK you will probably want to consider paying for the premium service which gives you a same day decision in person rather than doing it by post which can take several months. For each premium service appointment you should currently add £400. If your wife then wishes to apply for British citizenship then the naturalisation fee come April is £1156. Given that all but the first set of these fees will inevitably rise between now and when your wife qualifies for ILR/citizenship I would conservatively estimate your total visa spend over the five years to between £6000-7000.

Marrying first, whether in the US or UK, and then applying a spouse visa will therefore save you at least US$1472.
Thanks for your input,I was re reading this today and I would like some confirmation on what I believe is correct please as I was getting confused with the visas before lol

She applies for a marriage visitor visa for £87 and comes to the uk and we get married,she will bring some of her belongings to leave at my flat,then she can head back to the US and apply for the spouse visa that costs £1195 and once successful can then come over (bringing some more belongings) to live for the two years and work before renewing the visa and then finally applying for citizenship after five years.

Are there many cases where the application fails? I've already surpassed the financial requirements (I believe)and will have a place for her to live before she applies for her visa.

When you mention about applying for a premium service is that for the visitor visa and spouse visa too? How long would we be waiting those without premium service

Thanks for all your help,it's massively appreciated.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your input,I was re reading this today and I would like some confirmation on what I believe is correct please as I was getting confused with the visas before lol

She applies for a marriage visitor visa for £87 and comes to the uk and we get married,she will bring some of her belongings to leave at my flat,then she can head back to the US and apply for the spouse visa that costs £1195 and once successful can then come over (bringing some more belongings) to live for the two years and work before renewing the visa and then finally applying for citizenship after five years.

Are there many cases where the application fails? I've already surpassed the financial requirements (I believe)and will have a place for her to live before she applies for her visa.

When you mention about applying for a premium service is that for the visitor visa and spouse visa too? How long would we be waiting those without premium service

Thanks for all your help,it's massively appreciated.
Your plan - visitor visa, return to US and apply for spouse visa will work,

Citizenship takes 5 years.

Some applications do fail but if you have your financials sorted out together with accommodation there is no reason yours will.

Don't believe there is priority service for marriage visitor visa as it's quite a quick turnaround, but certainly for spouse.

Without premium service anything up to three months for spouse visa.
Old Feb 13th 2016, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Some applications do fail but if you have your financials sorted out together with accommodation there is no reason yours will.

Don't believe there is priority service for marriage visitor visa as it's quite a quick turnaround, but certainly for spouse.

That's what I thought with the visitors visa,thanks for all your help,I'm less stressed about the situation now I have a plan and understand it!
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Hi,just looking at the marriage visitors visa and it says "you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership"

Does that just mean she can't stay in the uk once she's married,as obviously she does Intend to settle in the uk,just no immediately and after applying for a spouse visa.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:30 pm

Hi,just looking at the marriage visitors visa and it says "you’re not planning to stay or settle in the UK after your marriage or civil partnership"

Does that just mean she can't stay in the uk once she's married,as obviously she does Intend to settle in the uk,just no immediately and after applying for a spouse visa.
It means she cannot apply to stay in the UK after getting married. She would need to return to the US to apply for her spouse visa.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Does that only mean she can't stay in the uk Immediatey after marriage,as obviously she does Intend to settle in the uk,just not immediately.
Old Feb 28th 2016, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

It means she cannot apply to stay in the UK after getting married. She would need to return to the US to apply for her spouse visa.
Ok that's what I thought it meant was just clarifying.thanks
Old Mar 5th 2016, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

Hi,I was just thinking about the 18,600 I have to prove in my Hmrc returns.do I have to earn more if she has things to pay such as student loans?or is it 18,600 no matter what she has to pay out.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 11:59 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I was just thinking about the 18,600 I have to prove in my Hmrc returns. Do I have to earn more if she has things to pay such as student loans? or is it 18,600 no matter what she has to pay out?
The £18,600 is fixed, with the sole exception of if you are sponsoring your spouse's child(ren) who are is (are) not British citizens, in which case it is incrementally more for each additional person.
Old Mar 5th 2016, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
The £18,600 is fixed, with the sole exception of if you are sponsoring your spouse's child(ren) who are is (are) not British citizens, in which case it is incrementally more for each additional person.
That's great! Just so sure there's gonna be some kind of catch somewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.