Marriage visa help please :)

Old Feb 16th 2018, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Lovedupbrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Marriage visa help please :)

Hello everyone,

I am now at a point where I am having to seriously look at how to go about starting the process off so that I can marry my girlfriend and eventually move her over here to the UK with me.

I am considering both options. Marry in the US on the VWP or marry here in the UK on a marriage visa.

I am completely stumped as to where to even begin regarding getting a visa to marry here in the UK.

Has anyone had any experience that they could share with me or any links to threads that have useful information. I am literally starting at square one and have pretty much no idea what I'm doing.

I hope someone can shed some light on my dim situation.

Thank you in advance,

Alex
Old Feb 16th 2018, 2:00 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage visa help please :)

That would depend whether you are considering a marriage visitor visa or a fiancée visa. The former is a visitor visa giving you permission to marry during your stay in the UK, the latter is effectively a spouse visa for those who haven't marry yet. The former is easier and cheaper to obtain and will be cheaper in terms of visa fees overall but your wife will then have to return to the US to apply for her spouse visa. The latter will cost more in fees and is a more complicated process but your wife will be able to apply to stay in the UK as soon as you are married.

If you are looking for the cheapest and easiest option in terms of paperwork then marrying in the US on the VWP is best.
Old Feb 16th 2018, 4:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Marriage visa help please :)

Marry in the US - you can enter on the VWP and marry (no special visa needed); YOU then return to the UK and start application for wife's spouse visa.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

YOU need to prove you meet financial, relationship and accommodation criteria.

Pay for priority service and, if no skeletons in the cupboard, it could be completed in two to three months.