Life in the UK Test as a tourist?

Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Tom_HK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Life in the UK Test as a tourist?

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum. I have looked through a few threads and have noted a fair few topics along the lines of what I'm after, but nothing that directly answers the central question that I have : how does one take the Life in the UK test as a tourist?

My wife and I are currently living in Hong Kong. She a Chinese national, me a British citizen. Our plan is to return to the UK with my wife on a settlement visa, and gain ILR upon arrival. In order to do this, my wife will need to pass the Life in the UK Test, and now also an English language test.

We haven't racked-up four years, yet, but we're almost there and should easily be able to demonstrate that we fulfill the cohabitation requirement by the time we make the Settlement Visa application. The English test can be taken at the British Council, here in Hong Kong, but the LitUK test can be taken only in the UK.

So... makes sense to sit the test whilst we're holidaying in the UK. We're planning to visit the UK again, fairly soon, anyway, so it seems to make sense to get this over-and-done-with. Thing is, another Chinese national (resident in the UK) who recently took the test (for citizenship purposes) has reported that when she turned up at the test centre she was asked to produce a bill or bank statement proving her address. Her husband then had to jump into his car and dash back home to find some suitable proof. There seems to be nothing on any test centre or Government website that explicitly states that proof or address must be provided, so was this just a quirk of this particular test centre or administrator?

The relevant Government web pages, I seem to recall, do say that you should have a post code, and may wish to bring along something that contains this post code, when attending a test centre, if that would help you to remember it. Nothing about proof of address. I have sent an e-mail to (what would be) our nearest test centre to ask them about this, but have had no response. Given the level of expertise on these boards, therefore, I thought I would try asking here.

We will be staying with my parents, so I imagine we should use their post code. Hong Kong, of course, hasn't got post codes, so we couldn't use our current address, even if this were theoretically acceptable. Needless to say, as a temporary visitor to my parents' address, my wife will not have any bills or bank statements proving her residence there. Any thoughts?

Also, if we are successful in applying for the settlement visa, how, when and where would we get the ILR for my wife, once we finally make the move? The Border Agency website simply says that if you have been living together outside of the UK for 4 years, then ILR may be granted "upon arrival", but is it as simple as an Immigration Officer stamping my wife's passport on arrival at the airport? Or do we need to make an appointment at some Government office, somewhere?

Again, any thoughts, advice or suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 12:51 pm

Adelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant future
Default Re: Life in the UK Test as a tourist?

It seems you can take the test as a tourist, at least according to this post on the www.lifeintheuk.org site. Though I would check with the Home Office to make sure.
http://www.lifeintheuk.org/mod/forum...51&parent=4506

Adelia

Originally Posted by Tom_HK
I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere on this forum. I have looked through a few threads and have noted a fair few topics along the lines of what I'm after, but nothing that directly answers the central question that I have : how does one take the Life in the UK test as a tourist?

My wife and I are currently living in Hong Kong. She a Chinese national, me a British citizen. Our plan is to return to the UK with my wife on a settlement visa, and gain ILR upon arrival. In order to do this, my wife will need to pass the Life in the UK Test, and now also an English language test.

We haven't racked-up four years, yet, but we're almost there and should easily be able to demonstrate that we fulfill the cohabitation requirement by the time we make the Settlement Visa application. The English test can be taken at the British Council, here in Hong Kong, but the LitUK test can be taken only in the UK.

So... makes sense to sit the test whilst we're holidaying in the UK. We're planning to visit the UK again, fairly soon, anyway, so it seems to make sense to get this over-and-done-with. Thing is, another Chinese national (resident in the UK) who recently took the test (for citizenship purposes) has reported that when she turned up at the test centre she was asked to produce a bill or bank statement proving her address. Her husband then had to jump into his car and dash back home to find some suitable proof. There seems to be nothing on any test centre or Government website that explicitly states that proof or address must be provided, so was this just a quirk of this particular test centre or administrator?

The relevant Government web pages, I seem to recall, do say that you should have a post code, and may wish to bring along something that contains this post code, when attending a test centre, if that would help you to remember it. Nothing about proof of address. I have sent an e-mail to (what would be) our nearest test centre to ask them about this, but have had no response. Given the level of expertise on these boards, therefore, I thought I would try asking here.

We will be staying with my parents, so I imagine we should use their post code. Hong Kong, of course, hasn't got post codes, so we couldn't use our current address, even if this were theoretically acceptable. Needless to say, as a temporary visitor to my parents' address, my wife will not have any bills or bank statements proving her residence there. Any thoughts?

Also, if we are successful in applying for the settlement visa, how, when and where would we get the ILR for my wife, once we finally make the move? The Border Agency website simply says that if you have been living together outside of the UK for 4 years, then ILR may be granted "upon arrival", but is it as simple as an Immigration Officer stamping my wife's passport on arrival at the airport? Or do we need to make an appointment at some Government office, somewhere?

Again, any thoughts, advice or suggestions gratefully appreciated.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

Tom

I am in a similar situation as yourself, not just being in Hong Kong!!!

My wife took the test last May whilst we were on a house buying trip to UK. There is no problem doing this. The only proof you need is a passport, preferably the same one you will use for your wife's application for the settlement visa. No need for postcode proof, this is just one of the list of identity proofs on the list. A passport is the best proof of all.

I double checked this beforehand by calling our preferred test centre (Hounslow in West London). No problems at all with them.

We have since got the ILE visa approved, took three working days!!! including the couriering to Manila where the visa office is located.

We're moving back in October.

Very efficient indeed.

Let me know if I can help further.

John
Old Sep 7th 2010, 2:59 am
Just Joined

Thanks, Adelia and John, these replied were very reassuring and my wife and I are now much happier in this regard. We will 'phone the relevant test centre to check, before we attend, and might even end up choosing the Hounslow centre since it worked out well for you (and isn't a million miles away from where we'll be). This would be playing it extra safe and is probably totally unnecessary, however it's a small price to pay for a little extra peace of mind.

As for getting the ILE visa (is it still known as ILE? I had heard, somewhere, that the term ILE had been dropped) in three days, can anyone say if this is typical? The last UK visa that my wife got was also turned around in just a few days, and we were pleasantly surprised as the Consulate website suggested possibly much longer waiting times. I would be interested to know whether others have experienced similarly quick turn-around on straight-forward applications.

On a related topic, can anyone advise about filling in the 'employment' section of the settlement visa form? My wife and I both currently work in Hong Kong. I work in an esoteric field of corporate real estate, while my wife is a qualified teacher with a Master's degree in teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language. Neither of us has a job offer in the UK, at this stage, nor are we expecting to secure offers before making our move. We would therefore have already left or have given notice to our employers by the time we make the visa application. So we'd be either 'unemployed' or on the way out. How does this sit with the Entry Clearance Officers? I'd say my wife has fairly decent prospects of picking up a teaching job, especially as several teachers amongst our friends and family in the UK have told us that there is high demand for Chinese teachers, at the moment. I might not have so much luck, but in any case we shall have some savings. Is this a case where a carefully-worded note appended to the application could help?

And in terms of savings, if we assume that my wife and I shall initially reside with my parents, then has anyone got any idea what sort of level of savings might the ECO expect to see?

I apologise for yet another lengthy post, and I greatly appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.

Tom
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

john5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nicejohn5655 is just really nice

Tom

ILE is still a valid term ,but rarely used as getting indefinite leave to "enter" the UK requires the LITUK test before application. If a person is already in UK with limited leave to enter on arrival, then passes the test, they apply for ILR, indefinite leave to "remain"

as for processing times and your maintenance and accommodation concerns, I'm afraid there is no simple answer

a simple application means there is little to doubt or check up on (like me, due to my lengthy employment with the government here I guess)

how you convince the ECO that you will not be a burden on the tax payer depends on a myriad of things, such as but not limited to, your (you and wife's) ages, academic and professional qualifications, job prospects, current and past financial situation

this and possible living arrangements are more thoroughly detailed here at Section 1 Annex F

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/sit.../idischapter8/

but I have to admit this was not detailed enough to answer my questions initially, but in the end I had nothing to worry about it seems
Old Sep 7th 2010, 9:53 am

Adelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant futureAdelia has a brilliant future

Tom,

As far as I know, your wife won't be able to get ILR (Indefinite Leave to Remain) until she has lived in the UK for 2 years. I really don't think she would get it 'upon arrival'. My husband will be applying for his next year, after being here for 2 years and it will cost over 800 GBP.

Adelia
Old Sep 7th 2010, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

Adelia

with all due respect, you are confused

Indefinite leave to remain (ILR) is the same as indefinite leave to enter (ILE), it is just a matter of where the visa is issued, within UK or not

the two-year residency requirement for ILR is not applicable to couples who have been married or in a common-law relationship for at least four years at time of application

you get ILE without ever having lived in UK if you qualify according to UKBA requirements, just like my wife and, it seems, our OP, Tom's wife

As I have just gone through this process successfully, it might be wise to either ask a question of me if you are in doubt or read more thoroughly into the UKBA website, better not to confuse the others who might be reading, eh?
Old Sep 7th 2010, 3:31 pm

John,

I’m not trying to confuse anyone, but it seems to me the rules may be different if you have already taken the “Life in the UK” test before you come to live permanently in the UK. My husband did the test while living in the UK and has to wait 2 years for ILR and we’ve been married much longer than 4 years.

Adelia
Old Sep 7th 2010, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

John is correct. Check out the UKBA website for more details:

"If you and your husband, wife or civil partner have been living together outside the UK for four years or more, and you meet all the necessary requirements to stay permanently in the UK, you may be granted indefinite leave to enter. These requirements include showing that you have the necessary level of knowledge of the English language and life in the UK (see relevant section of this guidance for more information)."

As you and your husband were living in the UK, he did not qualify straight away for the ILR.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Also from the Border Agency website :

"We may be able to give you permission to live permanently in the UK as soon as you arrive, if:

■you and your partner married or formed a civil partnership at least four years ago;
■you have spent those four years living together outside the UK;
■you are both coming to the UK to settle here together; and
■you have sufficient knowledge of the English language and life in the UK. (You do not need to meet this last requirement if you are aged 65 or over.)"

John, thanks for the link to the relevant Home Office guidance - that was quite comprehensive and managed to reassure us on a number of points.

And it's no wonder this topic is so confusing - there doesn't seem to be a single, unified source of authoritative information. Instead, we're left to go to this site and that site and the other site, following link after link and piecing together a picture from whatever we manage to find.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Adelia

I'd like to help clarify things for everyone looking for help and assistance but, without more details of your specific circumstances, I can't comment further
Old Sep 8th 2010, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by john5655
the two-year residency requirement for ILR is not applicable to couples who have been married or in a common-law relationship for at least four years at time of application
It's important to add - and have also been living outside the UK for at least 4 years at time of application.