Kids born in US to British Father

Old Nov 8th 2017, 1:36 am
Just Joined

pompeyone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kids born in US to British Father

Hi Everyone,

I tried to get answers on-line, but so far I seem to get conflicting info, so I'm hoping someone can help me here.

I was born in the UK and moved to the USA with my family and now have a US passport and citizenship.

I have had 2 sons here while I was married to an American born in 2001 and 2005.

I'm fully British and not by decent, and wanted to see if I can just apply for their passports? which i read somewhere was possible as they are automatically British via me... or if need to file for citizenship first and subsequently pay the costly 963 pounds each...ouch

Thanks you for reading and answering.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:17 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kids born in US to British Father

If you were born in the UK and you were married to their mother at the time of their births then any children of yours who were born overseas will automatically be British citizens by descent. You need only apply for their British passports.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Nov 8th 2017, 9:31 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

As BritInParis said.

I had the same question some years ago. Really easy and quick to get my kids British passport. Used the embassy's British style birth certificate issued after registering his birth overseas with his foreign birth certificate.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the clarification. As I emigrated when I was under 16, I traveled on my mum's British passport and never actually had a British passport myself.

Will that be an issue? As the application asks for the parents passport info? (Meaning mine for my sons applications)
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alfista1
As BritInParis said.

I had the same question some years ago. Really easy and quick to get my kids British passport. Used the embassy's British style birth certificate issued after registering his birth overseas with his foreign birth certificate.
Is this a step i need to do? I have my British birth certificate and they have their American ones--

If its required, do I need to reach out to embassy for this? or can it be done online?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 4:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyone
Thanks for the clarification. As I emigrated when I was under 16, I traveled on my mum's British passport and never actually had a British passport myself.

Will that be an issue? As the application asks for the parents passport info? (Meaning mine for my sons applications)
I don't think that would be a problem, but why not apply for your own GB passport first?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It does because it's normal for the parent(s) to hold British passports themselves. If you don't then it's not a dealbreaker but you should include your US passport details instead.

Is this a step i need to do? I have my British birth certificate and they have their American ones--

If its required, do I need to reach out to embassy for this? or can it be done online?
It's not necessary to apply for their passports, but it is a valuable way to permanently record your children's entitlement to British citizenship. You apply by post to the UK. Further information is available on the wiki.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I don't think that would be a problem, but why not apply for your own GB passport first?
Better yet apply for yours at the same time.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Better yet apply for yours at the same time.
Ah, you know me. I'm always the cautious conservative type.
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

If you intend never to leave the US then probably no big issue; but if either you or they want to travel overseas, just having birth certificates are not going to get you on most planes .......
Old Feb 21st 2018, 3:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by alfista1
As BritInParis said.

My friend who lives in the US is telling me I need to register them first using the MN1 form?

Is that true? Do I need to register my minor children first or can I just apply for their passport without registering them?

Does anyone have any links that can clarify exactly.

Thank You
Old Feb 21st 2018, 4:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Why not get the passports ? Is cost an obstacle ? My children havew dual nationality (not from the USA) and I have always assured that they were "passported-up". despite the expense.
Old Feb 21st 2018, 10:18 am

My friend who lives in the US is telling me I need to register them first using the MN1 form?

Is that true? Do I need to register my minor children first or can I just apply for their passport without registering them?

Does anyone have any links that can clarify exactly.

Thank You
Your friend is wrong. Form MN1 is to register children who did not automatically receive British citizenship at birth; if you were born in the UK and you were married to their mother at the time of their births then yours did. You merely need to apply for their passports. You can also apply for consular birth certificates as well. The price of a British passport will go up shortly so I wouldn't wait any longer.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

British Consular Birth Registration : British Expat Wiki
Old Feb 21st 2018, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

You can apply for your own, as well as your two sons' British passport at the same time. As a first time adult applicant, you may need someone (a professional like doctor or nurse) to countersign your British passport application. As British passport application fees are going up on 27 March 2018, the OP should consider getting the applications done ASAP.