Interview needed for passport application?

Old Jan 19th 2015, 6:08 pm
Forum Regular

Peter124 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interview needed for passport application?

This is for my wife, who's applying for a British passport. Her father was born in the UK. We have all the documents listed on the gov.uk website, but it appears that an interview will be required. Since we live in the USA, we're wondering if it's going to be possible to do this at the local consulate (San Francisco).

I did do a search, but couldn't find anything directly related to this. In fact I didn't see any mention of an interview anywhere, so I'm wondering if this is a new requirement.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 4:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Interview needed for passport application?

Given the current attitude to citizenship/immigration I'm not surprised by anything. If you call to ask you'll probably be routed to a contractor who won't know the answer and to add insult you'll be charged for the call.......but this brochure says on the last page that interviews will be done as close to where you live.

https://assets.digital.cabinet-offic...ance_Notes.pdf

Last edited by nun; Jan 20th 2015 at 4:15 pm.
Old Jan 20th 2015, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks nun, I hadn't come across that particular document before. It does appear to answer the question. We'll see what happens as they start to process the application!
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 8:27 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It's not a prerequisite. The United States is not considered a high risk country for fraudulent passport applications so providing your wife's paperwork is all in order and the Passport Examiner is satisfied of her identity then it's unlikely an interview will be required.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 10:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It's not a prerequisite. The United States is not considered a high risk country for fraudulent passport applications so providing your wife's paperwork is all in order and the Passport Examiner is satisfied of her identity then it's unlikely an interview will be required.
My wife is applying for her Brit passport right now (she's an Australian citizen living in the UK). They called me regarding a query on her form and the subject of the interview came up. I said I'm surprised she needs one, and the answer I got back was that everybody over the age of 18 applying for their first passport will be required for interview (Portsmouth in our case).

I'm not sure if this applies just in the UK, but that's what we were told. Also got told that timeframes for interviews are approx one week and the passport will be issued about 4 days later, but I suspect the situation is different O/S.

We are expecting the letter telling us to arrange appt to arrive next week. Will update then
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:03 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tr1boy
My wife is applying for her Brit passport right now (she's an Australian citizen living in the UK). They called me regarding a query on her form and the subject of the interview came up. I said I'm surprised she needs one, and the answer I got back was that everybody over the age of 18 applying for their first passport will be required for interview (Portsmouth in our case).

I'm not sure if this applies just in the UK, but that's what we were told. Also got told that timeframes for interviews are approx one week and the passport will be issued about 4 days later, but I suspect the situation is different O/S.

We are expecting the letter telling us to arrange appt to arrive next week. Will update then
In the UK all first time adult applicants need to attend an interview. If you're applying from overseas then it's only usually done in high risk countries/cases.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 11:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
In the UK all first time adult applicants need to attend an interview. If you're applying from overseas then it's only usually done in high risk countries/cases.
oh i see, thanks.
Old Jan 22nd 2015, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the responses!
Old Jan 25th 2015, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

I got my 1st passport in November here in the UK. I received a letter instructing me to call to set up an interview, which was in Manchester 2 days later. Even British-from-birth citizens/residents living in the UK must attend an interview for their 1st passport if over 18, but as BinP says, it varies if applying from overseas.

The interview was no big deal, just confirmation of information that was in the application - things the applicant would know without hesitation, whereas someone applying fraudulently would likely hesitate, stumble, or provide an incorrect answer. (Things like where your parents were born, the name/address of your counter signatory etc.)