Income Requirement

Old Sep 9th 2017, 5:16 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all
Default Income Requirement

If I am the sponsor I know I cannot rely on my husbands income for the visa application (as we live abroad) but would it work via the savings route? I can only find information on the former. Thank you!
Old Sep 9th 2017, 5:25 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Requirement

Originally Posted by helpmeplease123
If I am the sponsor I know I cannot rely on my husbands income for the visa application (as we live abroad) but would it work via the savings route? I can only find information on the former. Thank you!
As I understand it, the savings can be held by either the UK spouse or jointly by both spouses. Remember though, that if the money isn't held in a £ Sterling account, that you'll be at the mercy of currency fluctuations so will need to have extra over and above the required amount.

As I also understand it, you can possibly use the UK spouse's income abroad if they've earned the required amount for the last 6 months, and have a job offer to start within 3 months which also meets the requirement.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 5:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Savings can be either the applicant's or the sponsor's or held jointly. The required level of savings need to held for at least six months.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 5:55 pm
Forum Regular

pabonline is an unknown quantity at this point

Nosey question how much savings do you have
Old Sep 9th 2017, 6:33 pm
Forum Regular

helpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to allhelpmeplease123 is a name known to all

Ok perfect - so they're in a trust in his name only, so he'll print of bank statements and we'll get a signed letter from the bank stating that
a) the funds are all his
b) he can access them whenever he wants

he's had them for plenty of time, should they include that in the letter? Also it's in $'s do we need them to write the pound amount (its definitely over but just so they don't have to think about exchange rates?)

His income is all from self employment, so I don't think thats relevant right?

Thank you for all your help!
Old Sep 9th 2017, 6:50 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Ok perfect - so they're in a trust in his name only, so he'll print of bank statements and we'll get a signed letter from the bank stating that
a) the funds are all his
b) he can access them whenever he wants

he's had them for plenty of time, should they include that in the letter? Also it's in $'s do we need them to write the pound amount (its definitely over but just so they don't have to think about exchange rates?)

His income is all from self employment, so I don't think thats relevant right?

Thank you for all your help!
You'll need to provide bank statements that show that the money has been in his account at or over the required level for at least six months. You'll need to declare the source of the savings. The ECO will check the exchange rate on the date of application at www.oanda.com
Old Sep 9th 2017, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You'll need to provide bank statements that show that the money has been in his account at or over the required level for at least six months. You'll need to declare the source of the savings. The ECO will check the exchange rate on the date of application at www.oanda.com
Sorry being a bit dense but what do you mean by the source of the savings?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 6:53 pm
Forum Regular

To be clear, your husband (not you) will be required to declare the source of the savings as account holder, so a letter to that effect is required.

By source of savings it means where did the money come from - you would just say income from employment, for example.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 6:53 pm

Sorry being a bit dense but what do you mean by the source of the savings?
Where the money came from. You've already said it was self-employment so put that.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Where the money came from. You've already said it was self-employment so put that.
Oh I see - it's just an account his parents have been putting money into since he was young, do we ask the bank to write that in their letter or are we writing our own one? His income from self employment is in a different account but that one won't meet the minimum requirement.

Also I (the sponsor) do have savings but they won't have been in there 6 months (I just sold my old flat), should I even bother including them?
Old Sep 9th 2017, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pabonline
To be clear, your husband (not you) will be required to declare the source of the savings as account holder, so a letter to that effect is required.

By source of savings it means where did the money come from - you would just say income from employment, for example.
Sorry, I responded to BritinParis but thank you for your answer too!
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:02 pm

Oh I see - it's just an account his parents have been putting money into since he was young, do we ask the bank to write that in their letter or are we writing our own one? His income from self employment is in a different account but that one won't meet the minimum requirement.
You'll need to provide that information. There's a space on Appendix 2 to state the source.

Also I (the sponsor) do have savings but they won't have been in there 6 months (I just sold my old flat), should I even bother including them?
No.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:05 pm
Forum Regular

Do you as sponsor have enough savings for the full amount, £62.5K?

If you have enough savings from sale of property and they are held in an instant-access savings or investment account in the UK, that sounds like a better option, away from exchange rates or any question of the suitability of your husband's account type (since you say it is a 'trust').

Savings from sale of property are exempt from the six month requirement, you would just need to submit your solicitor's completion statement for the property sale along with your bank statement to evidence the fact.
Old Sep 9th 2017, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Your husband should write the letter regarding the source of income.

It's a good idea, though not required, to have a letter from the bank to say that the account type is instant-access.
Old Sep 10th 2017, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by pabonline
Do you as sponsor have enough savings for the full amount, £62.5K?

If you have enough savings from sale of property and they are held in an instant-access savings or investment account in the UK, that sounds like a better option, away from exchange rates or any question of the suitability of your husband's account type (since you say it is a 'trust').

Savings from sale of property are exempt from the six month requirement, you would just need to submit your solicitor's completion statement for the property sale along with your bank statement to evidence the fact.
Thank you - that's great! I'll just submit both then, to be safe.