Immigration Health Surcharge to double

Old Feb 5th 2018, 12:01 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Immigration Health Surcharge to double

Charges paid by temporary migrants to the UK to use the NHS are to double, the government has announced. Ministers said the move would raise around £220m a year for the health service while ensuring that migrants made a “fair contribution” towards its costs.

The increase to the immigration health surcharge – payable by people from outside the European Economic Area staying in the UK for six months or longer – means the main rate will rise from £200 to £400 a year. The discounted rate for students and those on the youth mobility scheme will go up from £150 to £300.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...-nhs-to-double
Old Feb 5th 2018, 3:36 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Immigration Health Surcharge to double

£400 a year, for healthcare by the NHS? That is scandalous!!! ..... It should be much higher, there is no way that is the true economic cost of providing healthcare for a whole year!

I know that the costs in the US are inflated, but even with the NHS cheapskate approach to healthcare, the fair cost would probably be achieved by adding another zero to the increased fee.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Given that I paid over $500/month for health insurance in the US before we moved back in 2011 (and that was for a high deductible 'well person' BC/BS policy), plus the co-pays etc., I also think £400 is ridiculously low.

I know a couple of people who have been health tourists. One had been living in the US for years, complained about the system, refused to get insurance even under ACA, but came back here for a few months after being diagnosed with a life-threatening condition. He abused the NHS for a good few months, and is now back in the US. We really wanted to report him, but DH said best leave it alone. Another much younger person moved to Malta, but continued to have a family friend collect Rx drugs and mail to Malta. He still used his parents' former address and claimed that he was a student.

This crap may account for a small ratio of abuse of the NHS, but IMHO, it shouldn't happen. I had to prove that I was settled when I registered with a local GP in 2011, and the surgery copied my PP page which had the visa. Even DH (Brit born and bred) had to provide his details as well, and was 71 at the time.

I personally don't think it's wrong for anyone to prove entitlement to *free* use of the NHS, or pay a reasonable share of the actual cost via the surcharge.
Old Feb 5th 2018, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

haldane86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Any idea on when this is suppose to come into effect? And if you have a currently valid visa with paid health surcharge will there be a bill for the new remainder due to changes
Old Feb 5th 2018, 10:40 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
£400 a year, for healthcare by the NHS? That is scandalous!!! ..... It should be much higher, there is no way that is the true economic cost of providing healthcare for a whole year!

I know that the costs in the US are inflated, but even with the NHS cheapskate approach to healthcare, the fair cost would probably be achieved by adding another zero to the increased fee.
I did check this previously and it's something like £1,600 pa for every man, woman and child in the country based on the current NHS budget.

Originally Posted by haldane86
Any idea on when this is suppose to come into effect? And if you have a currently valid visa with paid health surcharge will there be a bill for the new remainder due to changes
Without looking it up I presume it will the start of the financial year in April with the rest of the immigration fee changes. If you have already paid the previous rate you won't be need to 'top up' but you will be liable to pay the new rate for any subsequently eligible application. Very pleased that my better half won't need another visa before she becomes eligible for ILR so this won't affect her.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, spouse of scouse :-( Now I await the next price hike in visa fees. I think if anything, this is what will send us home ... and I thought that was a disgracefully expensive process. The sooner we become a republic the better - certainly no favours for those in the Commonwealth. But on a personal level, I still don't see why there is a concession/exemption for kids. I know you thought we wouldn't have to pay, BiP but we did.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by prospect
Thanks, spouse of scouse :-( Now I await the next price hike in visa fees. I think if anything, this is what will send us home ... and I thought that was a disgracefully expensive process. The sooner we become a republic the better - certainly no favours for those in the Commonwealth. But on a personal level, I still don't see why there is a concession/exemption for kids. I know you thought we wouldn't have to pay, BiP but we did.
It depends on whether you are granted ILR/ILE or not. A child being granted ILE to emigrate with his parents doesn't pay. If he or she is only granted a child visa then you will need to pay. As for costs, Australia is no better. It's currently $7000 for a partner visa. They have stated that they are deliberately aping UK policy regarding visa fees.

Last edited by BritInParis; Feb 6th 2018 at 1:06 pm.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

prospect is an unknown quantity at this point

I get so confused with all these acronyms. The kids permits are: Dependant. Leave to Enter. So, was it correct that we were charged?
Old Feb 6th 2018, 1:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Why should people from the Commonwealth get any favours visa-wise? Brits don't get favours when moving to places like Australia.
And how would becoming a republic make visas cheaper?
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Why should people from the Commonwealth get any favours visa-wise? Brits don't get favours when moving to places like Australia.
And how would becoming a republic make visas cheaper?
And Australian processing times are currently about 15 months off shore and 2 and half years on shore
Old Feb 6th 2018, 2:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The NHS charge is about the same as visiting a none bulk billing GP in Oz once a month.

Partner visas are actually too cheap in both the UK and Australia as both have no skilled occupation to them, so there is zero evidence that the new migrant wont be a drain on resources simply by not earning a wage that pays enough tax.
Old Feb 6th 2018, 3:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
.... Partner visas are actually too cheap in both the UK and Australia as both have no skilled occupation to them, so there is zero evidence that the new migrant wont be a drain on resources simply by not earning a wage that pays enough tax.
Exactly this!
Old Feb 6th 2018, 5:04 pm

I get so confused with all these acronyms. The kids permits are: Dependant. Leave to Enter. So, was it correct that we were charged?
Yes.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:35 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Exactly this!
Absolute nonsense. Under a spousal visa, you have to either earn 18K plus a year or have equivalent funds for the same amount for the 3 years of the visa and you are not eligible for benefit claims.

I think it is tremendously unfair that there is this expectation. I am a UK citizen who happens to be married to an American. Just why exactly should the UK want to prevent us from living together as man and wife.

And we are in a lucky situation. We have the money saved for the savings route and I should earn well in excess of this in the UK. God help anyone on an average income trying to live in their home country with their spouse and children.
Old Mar 5th 2018, 4:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pretty Flowers
Absolute nonsense. ....
Just because you don't agree with me, and vice versa, doesn't make what I said nonsense.
.... Under a spousal visa, you have to either earn 18K plus a year or have equivalent funds for the same amount for the 3 years of the visa and you are not eligible for benefit claims. .....
That seems pretty reasonable to me, and a fairly modest expectation.
.... I think it is tremendously unfair that there is this expectation. ...
Life isn't fair. Maybe this is news to you?
I am a UK citizen who happens to be married to an American. ....
Me too.
Just why exactly should the UK want to prevent us from living together as man and wife. ....
As someone said recently on this thread, "Absolute nonsense".

BTW, that's not my opinion - nowhere has anyone ever said that they are trying to prevent British citizens living with their spouse, and in fact it would be illegal to try to do such a thing. However the British government is entitled to protect the interests of the vast majority of British citizens in the UK by setting a income/assets threshold that prevents immigrant spouses being a net drain on the country's resources.
.... And we are in a lucky situation. We have the money saved for the savings route and I should earn well in excess of this in the UK. ....
Us too!
.... God help anyone on an average income trying to live in their home country with their spouse and children.
.... If you don't have a decent nest egg and/or some equity in your home, enough to meet the UK visa "assets basis" requirements, by the time you're in your mid thirties, then you're already heading for retirement in poverty. So if that's where you are in life, then maybe prayer is your best hope.

Last edited by Pulaski; Mar 5th 2018 at 5:00 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.