If the UK left the EU...

Old Nov 16th 2013, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice
Default If the UK left the EU...

Was just reflecting on what might happen if the UK leaves the UK...of course I was just thinking in selfish terms re: what would happen to my non-EEA civil partner.

Was just interested in raising this point here: if it ever comes to the referendum that so many people seem to be calling for, would you vote for withdrawal or to continue to stay part of the EU?

I'm especially interested in hearing from British people who would have the opportunity to vote. All views welcomed!

Cheers
CC
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If the UK left the EU...

I am interested in the scenario where Scotland leaves the RestUk after the 2014 Referendum and the RestUK then votes to leave the EU !
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Goodness...that's complex. Then what happens if Northern Ireland decides to return to Ireland?

(N. Irish here...haha)
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I think the movement to leave is from rather clueless people and common sense would prevail.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 3:40 pm
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I would vote to remain in the EU.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

I hope that common sense does prevail indeed...but there seems to be a rather strong sentiment (especially in England) that the EU is not good for the UK.

Here's hoping that some more people will hop on the pro-Europe bandwagon!

Yes to the EU!
Old Nov 16th 2013, 5:32 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically, the reason the spouse migration rules are so restrictive is that the EU would not allow the Government to restore the "primary purpose rule" that existed before 1997. A time when spouse migration, for genuine applicants, was substantially easier than it is today.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chaoclive
I hope that common sense does prevail indeed...but there seems to be a rather strong sentiment (especially in England) that the EU is not good for the UK.

Here's hoping that some more people will hop on the pro-Europe bandwagon!

Yes to the EU!
I think I can say I have a reasonable amount of common sense, but have yet to find a good reason why the UK should be in the EU. The usual rubbish answer of it affecting business is typical political crap. Business is about money and what matters is the price you pay, not where it's made. Freedom of movement hasnt exactly been advantageous to Brits has it?
I recall many discussions I had with "experts" who insisted before the Euro was introduced, that it would increase enormously international trade, but once again, who cares what currency you buy in so long as the price is right?
If we want to talk about good reasons why the UK should opt out, there are many, but good reasons for staying in are few.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 6:46 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Ironically, the reason the spouse migration rules are so restrictive is that the EU would not allow the Government to restore the "primary purpose rule" that existed before 1997. A time when spouse migration, for genuine applicants, was substantially easier than it is today.
Even MigrationWatchUK calls the former rule "onerous".
Old Nov 16th 2013, 6:48 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dfjordan
I think I can say I have a reasonable amount of common sense, but have yet to find a good reason why the UK should be in the EU. The usual rubbish answer of it affecting business is typical political crap. Business is about money and what matters is the price you pay, not where it's made. Freedom of movement hasnt exactly been advantageous to Brits has it?
I recall many discussions I had with "experts" who insisted before the Euro was introduced, that it would increase enormously international trade, but once again, who cares what currency you buy in so long as the price is right?
If we want to talk about good reasons why the UK should opt out, there are many, but good reasons for staying in are few.
WWI and WWII are a couple of really good reasons to stay in, IMO.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 6:52 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
WWI and WWII are a couple of really good reasons to stay in, IMO.
Sigh.
If you're going to use reasoning like that, then perhaps the events of Hungary in 1956, or Czechoslovakia in 1968, are a good reason to get out while there is still time.

Democracies do not go to war against each other.
Old Nov 16th 2013, 7:02 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by JAJ
Sigh.
If you're going to use reasoning like that, then perhaps the events of Hungary in 1956, or Czechoslovakia in 1968, are a good reason to get out while there is still time.

Democracies do not go to war against each other.
One country managing to gain control over the a specific sector of the economy does though.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 1:15 pm
WhiteRabbit

'A week of trade talks in Brussels have taken the European Union and the United States a little closer to a deal to liberalise bilateral trade.

EU officials say the trade relationship with the US is already the biggest in the world, worth more than 2bn euros (£1.7bn) a day.'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24965053
Old Nov 17th 2013, 2:24 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the things that people dislike about the EU isn't actually the EU.

Being subject to the European Convention on Human Rights is due to our membership of the Council of Europe of which the UK has been a member of since 1949. The UK was the main driving force behind the Convention itself. Every European state, including Russia and Turkey, are members with the exception of Belarus and the Vatican City.

Freedom of movement from Eastern European states such as Poland, Bulgaria and Romania would continue due to our membership of the European Economic Area (EEA).

To answer the OP's question his non-EEA spouse would be unaffected by a departure from the EU unless the UK also withdraw from the EEA and I will be voting to keep us in the EU should the opportunity arise.

Last edited by BritInParis; Nov 17th 2013 at 2:51 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2013, 2:35 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by materialcontroller
I would vote to remain in the EU.
Really? you need to open your eyes son...

UK NEEDS OUT OF THE EU NOW..

The EU is killing UK and Jan 2014 is a test of our patience....

VOTE UKIP

Any British with common sense would WANT OUT of the EU... if USA can survive on its own why cant the 'GREAT BRITAIN' ? we don't need the EU crap and laws makes me sick to my stomach that we abide by EU laws... this is the UK not EU we don't even use the EURO.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.