Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Child

I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Child

Old Aug 7th 2014, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Chi

Originally Posted by alfista1
She could go back home, apply immediately and come back for either 6 or 11 months(English course).
Anyone with a visa of 6 months or less cannot use the NHS for free.

If you go for the 6 month visa, perhaps you could ask the health insurers she has now while she is visiting the UK, if they will extend her cover for longer while she studies?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

cookiehearts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Chi

Originally Posted by formula
If you are applying for a spouse visa, then it's the sponsor who has to earn that salary for 6 months, not the person being sponsored. They will have to earn that money for 6 months and provide proof of that with the visa application.

If they earned the equivilant of £18,600 (or whatever they need to sponsor) in the last 12 months and can find a job in the UK for that same financial requirement and they can provide a contract that starts within 3 months, then they can apply with all that evidence, to sponsor someone..
Yes I am well aware that the sponsor (UKC) is the one who has to earn the required amount, I was just wondering if the job had to begin 1) within 3 months of applying for the visa or 2) within 3 months of the UKC's return to the UK. Like if you RETURN to the UK while your Non-EU citizen's visa is still processing to the job offer you put in your application, does that mean you have to now work that job in the UK for 6 months?
Old Aug 7th 2014, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiehearts
Like if you RETURN to the UK while your Non-EU citizen's visa is still processing to the job offer you put in your application, does that mean you have to now work that job in the UK for 6 months?
The person wanting the visa can't put their application in until their sponsor meets the requirements, as they need to provide all the evidence with their application to show their sponsor can house and can afford to sponsor them. I'm not sure what happens if you change jobs during that 6 months. Or you meet the savings requirement, or use a mixture of both based on the UKVI formula. There is nothing to stop them putting a visa application in before you have all the requried evidence, but they will get refused and donate their fee to UKVI.

If you haven't made the financial requriement for the past 12 months in the country you are living in, then you will have to work for 6 months in the UK making the financial requirement, before your partner can put in their visa application.

If you made the financial requriement for the past 12 months in the country you are living in AND can find a job in the UK that makes that financial requriement AND you can prove that job will start within 3 months, then your partner can apply for their visa.

Last edited by formula; Aug 7th 2014 at 3:45 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone with a visa of 6 months or less cannot use the NHS for free.

If you go for the 6 month visa, perhaps you could ask the health insurers she has now while she is visiting the UK, if they will extend her cover for longer while she studies?
Yes she has private medical insurance. Not cheap but there was no other option. Actually the student visa medical package was cheaper.

Is there another forum that covers student visas just to ask some questions I have? For example I clicked on the GOV web site to accredited institutions for a student visa and one of the colleges offered a language course costing just 200 pounds specifically for the spouse visa.(but not sure if this would be valid)
Old Aug 7th 2014, 3:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yes she has private medical insurance. Not cheap but there was no other option. Actually the student visa medical package was cheaper.

Is there another forum that covers student visas just to ask some questions I have? For example I clicked on the GOV web site to accredited institutions for a student visa and one of the colleges offered a language course costing just 200 pounds specifically for the spouse visa.(but not sure if this would be valid)
The new rules mean that applicants now have to pass an English test before they can get a spouse visa or settlement and that sounds like one of those courses. Were they listed as a Tier 4 sponsor? https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nsors-students

UKVI is the right place to look as some "colleges" are not allowed to sponsor.

Last edited by formula; Aug 7th 2014 at 3:57 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:00 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

If you are applying for a spouse visa, then it's the sponsor who has to earn that salary for 6 months, not the person being sponsored. They will have to earn that money for 6 months and provide proof of that with the visa application.

If they earned the equivilant of £18,600 (or whatever they need to sponsor) in the last 12 months and can find a job in the UK for that same financial requirement and they can provide a contract that starts within 3 months, then they can apply with all that evidence, to sponsor someone.

The one wanting to be sponsored could apply for a work visa in their own right, Tier 2 (General) so that a company then sponsors them, but that visa is hard to get from outside the UK unless they have skills in demand. 5 years to ILR on that visa.

Or if they have worked for a company for at least a year and that company has a UK office, they could try and get transfer on a Tier 2 (ICT). It's only a temporary visa (no route to citizenship) but their salary could then be counted for a spouse visa. Their time on a Tier 2 (ICT) won't count towards their 5 years to ILR on a spouse visa.

Student visa (Tier 4) is another option. Not cheap and they will have to study, but it will allow them time together in the UK until they can be sponsored for a spouse visa. If they get a Tier 4 that allows some work, that salary too can be counted towards the spouse visa. Time on a Tier 4 will not count towards the 5 years to ILR when they switch to a spouse visa.
Or at the end of their studies they can try and get a Tier 2 General visa as they are much easier to get if you studied in the UK.
What a helpful, clear post formula, and the one before the above too. I've read the rules countless times and still some of them don't 'stick' - it's good to have such concise and clear info, thanks
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

The new rules mean that applicants now have to pass an English test before they can get a spouse visa or settlement and that sounds like one of those courses. Were they listed as a Tier 4 sponsor? https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nsors-students

UKVI is the right place to look as some "colleges" are not allowed to sponsor.
Not tier 4 unfortunately. All of the tier 4 courses cost a fortune, money we would have used for the financial route if we had!
For example the college in Birmingham offering academic English or GCSEs
Full time Academic English (3 terms):£16,500

Last edited by alfista1; Aug 7th 2014 at 4:10 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

All of the tier 4 courses cost a fortune,
That's why I said it wasn't a cheap option. It's useful if someone really does want to further their education and wanting a spouse visa too.

Last edited by formula; Aug 7th 2014 at 4:16 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
What a helpful, clear post formula, and the one before the above too. I've read the rules countless times and still some of them don't 'stick' - it's good to have such concise and clear info, thanks
I have my uses
Old Aug 7th 2014, 4:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I have my uses
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

That's why I said it wasn't a cheap option. It's useful if someone really does want to further their education and wanting a spouse visa too.
it's what my sister in law did. She studied law in London (rich father!), met my brother and now they have 2 kids in Ealing.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 9:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse

I wasn't that clear it seems

Having just read some other forums, they are saying that for those using the route for 'have earned £18,600 (more if they have non-UK children) in the past 12 months outside the UK and who start a job in the UK earning at least the same financial requirment within 3 months': they must have earned their financial requirement outside the UK 12 months prior to the application.

That's easy for those that get a job contract in the UK while they are still working abroad. But if they give up their job, return to the UK to look for work and it takes them 2 months to find a job, then they need to have earned that £18,600 outside the UK in the previous 10 months - As they need to prove they earned that requirement in the 12 months prior to the application and they can't apply on that route until they provide a contract showing there will be a job starting within those 3 months.

Last edited by formula; Aug 12th 2014 at 10:13 am.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

cookiehearts is an unknown quantity at this point

That's easy for those that get a job contract in the UK while they are still working abroad. But if they give up their job, return to the UK to look for work and it takes them 2 months to find a job, then they need to have earned that £18,600 outside the UK in the previous 10 months - As they need to prove they earned that requirement in the 12 months prior to the application and they can't apply on that route until they provide a contract showing there will be a job starting within those 3 months.
I keep reading this over but get stuck in a loop.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but other than SS, Tier 4 and a work visa there are two options:

1) Work in foreign country for 12 months earning required amount. Find job in UK while living abroad that starts within 3 (makes required amount) of your visa application date, while still working at your current job. Apply for visa.

OR

2) Move back to the UK. Find a job that pays required amount. Work that job for 6 months. Apply for visa.

Last edited by cookiehearts; Aug 12th 2014 at 6:56 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2014, 10:43 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cookiehearts
I keep reading this over but get stuck in a loop.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but other than SS, Tier 4 and a work visa there are two options:

1) Work in foreign country for 12 months earning required amount. Find job in UK while living abroad that starts within 3 (makes required amount) of your visa application date, while still working at your current job. Apply for visa.

OR

2) Move back to the UK. Find a job that pays required amount. Work that job for 6 months. Apply for visa.
That's correct.

Other than other routes for savings and investments, pensions, etc. If you are going off income earned from a straight J-O-B job then, yes, you have it correct?
Old Aug 12th 2014, 10:47 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't that clear it seems

Having just read some other forums, they are saying that for those using the route for 'have earned £18,600 (more if they have non-UK children) in the past 12 months outside the UK and who start a job in the UK earning at least the same financial requirment within 3 months': they must have earned their financial requirement outside the UK 12 months prior to the application.

I don't know where you get any of that information. The route for 12 months previous earned income is for couples returning together. You can't go back to the UK, get a job, and apply before you've worked 6 months on that job (just because you earned more than £18600 abroad).

It's best not to rely on just forum advice (which is often wrong). One needs to also read the guidance.