Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Child

I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Child

Old Aug 5th 2014, 3:02 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Chi

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
In the spirit of what I believe is the intended use of this forum:

Each week, somewhere on the internet (often times here on BE) I read at least one query exactly like the original post in this thread. A query from a British expat family abroad who would like to return home, but had not heard about the 2012 changes. In my mind, I see a real person out there, sitting behind a keyboard in stunned disbelief at what they are reading. It's not hard to imagine them if you try. The questions they ask us, their family scenario they tell us about - if the writer doesn't outright tell us that they are nearly in tears over what they are reading, the tone of their posts says it all.

I do not believe it is helpful to enter into these threads and pound on these poor people about why these changes were put in place. I don't think a family who has just learned they must endure a separation just to return home needs a lecture about the public purse, or the benefit system, or foreign born criminals. They don't need to hear about how their Human Rights have been watered down. That fact is very much obvious to them.

The financial aspect of these rules is impossible for some families to meet. For others, they will find a way with some planning to come home. Even those who know immediately that they qualify financially sweat the application process because it is so dogged.

I really think that if one cannot offer some hopeful insight to these British citizens who just want to come home, then one should keep their comments to themselves. Coming into threads and hosing down the OP with stereotypes and political diatribes is the internet equivalent of snatching candy from a baby. To put it bluntly, it's really mean.
I like what you wrote about remembering there is a real person behind posts such as the OP's, rebeccajo.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 5:05 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Chi

Originally Posted by Gozit
BUT I have to disagree with the point "It is the same as Canada, US, Aus, etc" - no. It isn't. Because in Canada, US, and Aus, you apply for a PR visa for your foreign spouse and they get PR and are allowed to move with you to that country. No absurd financial requirements. So there isn't a reason to bring your spouse in on a tourist visa with the intent to remain.
Gozit, that's not correct - at least as regards the US. There IS a financial requirement for spousal/fiancé visas. It is set at a far more reasonable amount than similar visas for the UK, and third party sponsorship is allowed too. But it's still required.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 6:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
England is my country, my son is a British citizen, would they dare take her away from her child?
They aren't taking her away from her child. You are all living together in your wife's country. The mother is with her child.

If you want to bring your child to the UK, then why not leave the child with his mother while you look for work, instead of splitting them up?

Last edited by formula; Aug 5th 2014 at 6:14 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
They aren't taking her away from her child. You are all living together in your wife's country. The mother is with her child.

If you want to bring your child to the UK, then why not leave the child with his mother while you look for work, instead of splitting them up?
The child needs the father also!!
Every healthy family is a combination of the mother and father. My son is very attached to me and can't imagine how he's going to feel to be months and months apart from me. I just don't understand how people think its ok for a young child for them to be apart from their father but not mother.
This is a violation of his rights!
Old Aug 5th 2014, 6:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

If you feel that strongly, why don't you sell the apartment in Uruguay and use the savings route? You are lucky to have options. Had you proceeded, this entire debate may well have been moot.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 6:43 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooooooooooooooooooooo ma gerddddddd!!!! lolol

It's starting to look like everybody needs sprayed down with the garden hose!

Families do have rights. But they are limited and qualified. If you chose to rant about your rights, and threaten to push the limits of the law, well you aren't going to win fence sitters over to your side. And you aren't being incredibly smart either. These "other" immigration paths aren't pretty ones to walk down. A UK citizen can find their non-EU spouse present with them in the UK, but the government might put them on a 10 year path to residency. Which makes their integration to the UK even more difficult. Is that something you want for your loved one?

Getting pi$$ed off about these rules isn't productive either. You'll be able to formulate the best plan for your family once you stop railing against the machine. You might be surprised what kind of clarity is out there once you get a grip on your emotions.

Oh - when you are an immigrant (or are married to one) and you look down on other immigrants - well frankly that makes you look a little dumb. Swings and roundabouts, you know because governments can turn the tables quickly. One immigrants cause is also anothers. Better learn to stick together and realize their 'rights' are one of the best arguments you've got if you feel your rights as a British citizen have been violated.

Likewise, beating up on posters because they are trying to have a normal family life - tsk tsk. Walk a mile in their shoes first. Peoples lives are rarely as clear cut as we think. It's so easy to stand in judgment of people we know in the real world and even that much easier to write off those on the internet.

Everybody needs to play nice, IMO. The situation is hard enough without all the human drama.

Last edited by rebeccajo; Aug 5th 2014 at 6:50 pm. Reason: spelling
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:24 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise, beating up on posters because they are trying to have a normal family life - tsk tsk. Walk a mile in their shoes first.
Been there, done that. Took me 2 years, and I got on with it rather than whining about my rights because I accepted that it's their country and they get to make the rules.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The EU 'rights' thing does go both ways. As a British citizen you can move your family to any other EU/EEA member state with no problems whatsoever regardless of the passport they hold.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 7:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Likewise when my first visa application was denied and I was ranting on another forum, a then regular contributor (Transpondia) told me that I was no one special and the rules aplied to me like anyone else. He didn't try to spare my feelings...he was blunt and cut to the chase.

At first I was really pi$$ed off, but then I realized he was right. We got on with the 2nd application, and the rest is history.

Now back to the original poster....I empathise with their situation, and I hope they find a way to be where they want to be. Those are the folks who need straight answers and support IMHO.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vadio
If you feel that strongly, why don't you sell the apartment in Uruguay and use the savings route? You are lucky to have options. Had you proceeded, this entire debate may well have been moot.
OMG. That is just getting too nosey! For reasons we will not explain.
Options?? I would hardly call the restrictions options.

Yes let's settle down now and all just agree that the restrictions tear families apart and disturbs young children and should be abolished immediately as they contradict Article 8 of the ECHR. No one can argue with that.

Old Aug 5th 2014, 11:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alfista1
OMG. That is just getting too nosey! For reasons we will not explain.
Options?? I would hardly call the restrictions options.

Yes let's settle down now and all just agree that the restrictions tear families apart and disturbs young children and should be abolished immediately as they contradict Article 8 of the ECHR. No one can argue with that.

Why is it getting too nosey?........ when you were asking a myriad of questions regarding moving to the UK, and loads of people were giving you great information and options as to how you could qualify for the spouse visa you said that you would NOT consider selling the apartment (worth apparently around 80K GBP) because you had lots of family in Uruguay and would only do so when you were confident your wife was happy in the UK.

In the meantime you would rent it out.

So you have the means to get the visa, you just don't want to give up your nest egg in Uruguay and follow the rules.

Now who is being unfair to their family?
Old Aug 6th 2014, 12:58 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The EU 'rights' thing does go both ways. As a British citizen you can move your family to any other EU/EEA member state with no problems whatsoever regardless of the passport they hold.
And, for example, isn't it easier for a British citizen to sponsor a spouse into (for example) Denmark, than it is for a Danish citizen? Which is why many Danes have chosen to sponsor their foreign spouses for residence in Sweden instead. The U.K.'s restrictions on spouse migration are by no means unique in the EEA.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 1:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Gozit, that's not correct - at least as regards the US. There IS a financial requirement for spousal/fiancé visas. It is set at a far more reasonable amount than similar visas for the UK, and third party sponsorship is allowed too. But it's still required.
Sorry. I stand corrected there. With regards to Canada for sure I know there isn't a financial requirement, not sure about Aus but I don't think so either.
Old Aug 6th 2014, 1:12 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
And, for example, isn't it easier for a British citizen to sponsor a spouse into (for example) Denmark, than it is for a Danish citizen? Which is why many Danes have chosen to sponsor their foreign spouses for residence in Sweden instead. The U.K.'s restrictions on spouse migration are by no means unique in the EEA.
How would it work this route?

My wife holds a Chinese passport, she needs visas for every god damn country.... if i booked a flight to france? live in france? wouldn't she need a visa upon entry? or apply one?

Doesn't matter if im an EU citizen.

How does one enter an EEA country if there not from the EU but they're spouse is an EU citizen? at the end of the day wouldn't the none EU spouse NEED some visa?
Old Aug 6th 2014, 1:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
How would it work this route?

My wife holds a Chinese passport, she needs visas for every god damn country.... if i booked a flight to france? live in france? wouldn't she need a visa upon entry? or apply one?

Doesn't matter if im an EU citizen.

How does one enter an EEA country if there not from the EU but they're spouse is an EU citizen? at the end of the day wouldn't the none EU spouse NEED some visa?
Seen this and plan on replying later !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.