Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Child

I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Child

Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Chi

Originally Posted by Gozit
Wow. The whole lot of you are being really insensitive towards alfista's situation.

Why is it that I, as a Maltese citizen can apply for any non-Maltese spouse I may have, an "exempt persons status" permit for their foreign passport, which is basically PR, and after 5 years, the spouse becomes a Maltese citizen by registration. The 5 years is of marriage by the way. So I can marry a Canadian and after 5 years of marriage, even if she had never stepped foot in Malta, she could get Maltese citizenship and passport.

As a Canadian, I can bring any foreign spouse into the country by getting them a PR visa, and they have PR upon landing in Canada, and citizenship by naturalisation after 3 years of residence in Canada.

Why does the UK impose these rather stupid restrictions on British citizens? Especially when any EU CITIZEN can bring their NON EU spouse to the UK WITHOUT financial requirements? But if your British? Sorry, you can't bring your spouse to the UK unless you earn xxx or have xxx absurd amount in savings.

Sorry but its just not fair to British citizens and their families.

Alfista, in light of the circumstances, instead of the whole lot of you going back to Uruguay, could your wife not just return whilst you find a job, and then when you do, could you not apply for a spouse visa then for her, enabling her to come back?
Thank you very much for your support Gozit. It is not fair and we must fight for this. We need more members like you here.

My wife's third world country is in a bad state. No work, extremely expensive schools that we cannot afford, food prices and inflation that most Brits could not even imagine and a predicted default is a possibility as occurred in 2002 due to the crisis in Argentina!

You would think some of these other contributors here are working for the Home Office. Makes me suspicious.

I can support myself and my family, don't need to claim benefits (in fact I can't because I have too much savings) even though I am unemployed.
I am no burden on the UK, I pay council tax also.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I think this is the right place?? UK Citizen Moving back to UK with US Spouse/Chi

Originally Posted by alfista1
Thank you very much for your support Gozit. It is not fair and we must fight for this. We need more members like you here.
No worries

My wife's third world country is in a bad state. No work, extremely expensive schools that we cannot afford, food prices and inflation that most Brits could not even imagine and a predicted default is a possibility as occurred in 2002 due to the crisis in Argentina!
This was my exact thought when I saw people asking "What's stopping you from living in your wife's country?"

You would think some of these other contributors here are working for the Home Office. Makes me suspicious.
No. Some of them just don't like immigrants to the UK even though a lot of them are immigrants in the countries they are currently resident, or were formerly immigrants to another country.

I can support myself and my family, don't need to claim benefits (in fact I can't because I have too much savings) even though I am unemployed.
I am no burden on the UK, I pay council tax also.
Exactly. This is why you should be able to bring your wife to the UK
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:23 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

No worries

This was my exact thought when I saw people asking "What's stopping you from living in your wife's country?"

No. Some of them just don't like immigrants to the UK even though a lot of them are immigrants in the countries they are currently resident, or were formerly immigrants to another country.

Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:54 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

As alfista1, has said before

'HIS HUMAN RIGHTS + RIGHT TO A FAMILY LIFE' is being violated.

Yes his wife is not from the EU.... like my wife is... me and him are in the same boat,

i'll be applying for a 2 year family visit visa for my wife soon.

alfista1 is a BRITISH BORN CITIZEN HIS SON IS BRITISH, but his wife is not, you people need to remember this is his country.... he should have EVERY RIGHT to bring in his wife regardless of sh!ttyt financial requirements.

do any of you think it's fair for a 4 year old to be thrown around one side of the world to the next countless of times? it will confuse him and mess up his education his way of life,

he is fighting for his wife who is now part of his FAMILY and he has every right to do so,

Since when coming back to the uk is good faith? it's his home country for gods sake,

once im in the uk you can bet on it, i will play the human rights cards make the phone calls send the letters (no british citizen should never have to have a financial requirement. (europeans should though)

How come i get the feeling....

Europeans Citizens come first
British Citizens come second? WTF

You lot, lay off alfista1 he's just wants his wife in UK (as do i)

oh and alfista1, chin up fella!
Old Aug 5th 2014, 12:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vexcore
As alfista1, has said before

'HIS HUMAN RIGHTS + RIGHT TO A FAMILY LIFE' is being violated.

Yes his wife is not from the EU.... like my wife is... me and him are in the same boat,

i'll be applying for a 2 year family visit visa for my wife soon.

alfista1 is a BRITISH BORN CITIZEN HIS SON IS BRITISH, but his wife is not, you people need to remember this is his country.... he should have EVERY RIGHT to bring in his wife regardless of sh!ttyt financial requirements.

do any of you think it's fair for a 4 year old to be thrown around one side of the world to the next countless of times? it will confuse him and mess up his education his way of life,

he is fighting for his wife who is now part of his FAMILY and he has every right to do so,

Since when coming back to the uk is good faith? it's his home country for gods sake,

once im in the uk you can bet on it, i will play the human rights cards make the phone calls send the letters (no british citizen should never have to have a financial requirement. (europeans should though)

How come i get the feeling....

Europeans Citizens come first
British Citizens come second? WTF

You lot, lay off alfista1 he's just wants his wife in UK (as do i)

oh and alfista1, chin up fella!
The fact that EU citizens can bring their non-EU spouses in without financial requirement whilst UK citizens have a financial requirement to bring their spouses into the UK totally illustrates that point

Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:10 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

And he probably can, once she holds the correct visa.

At present she is in the UK on a tourist visa - thats for tourists, not for migrants.
No different from Australia, enter on a tourist visa and you are a tourist, you need the correct visa in order to stay. And the same applies in Canada, US, and many many other countries. He was advised of how to sort a Spouse Visa for his wife, and chose to ignore it, bringing her as a tourist instead. Really, at the end of the day, its their own fault if the family is split up - they ignored the rules and the advice. I'm not being personally nasty to the family, and I'm not defending the UK Spouse Visa rules, but the fact is that the rules are there and to blatantly ignore them is not the best course of action.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana

At present she is in the UK on a tourist visa - thats for tourists, not for migrants.
No different from Australia, enter on a tourist visa and you are a tourist, you need the correct visa in order to stay. And the same applies in Canada, US, and many many other countries. He was advised of how to sort a Spouse Visa for his wife, and chose to ignore it, bringing her as a tourist instead. Really, at the end of the day, its their own fault if the family is split up - they ignored the rules and the advice. I'm not being personally nasty to the family, and I'm not defending the UK Spouse Visa rules, but the fact is that the rules are there and to blatantly ignore them is not the best course of action.
I agree. It is not. And I mentioned in my post, why does he have to return to Uruguay? Can he not just stay in the UK with the child so as to not interrupt his schooling? (He didn't answer that part...)

BUT I have to disagree with the point "It is the same as Canada, US, Aus, etc" - no. It isn't. Because in Canada, US, and Aus, you apply for a PR visa for your foreign spouse and they get PR and are allowed to move with you to that country. No absurd financial requirements. So there isn't a reason to bring your spouse in on a tourist visa with the intent to remain.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

I agree. It is not. And I mentioned in my post, why does he have to return to Uruguay? Can he not just stay in the UK with the child so as to not interrupt his schooling? (He didn't answer that part...)

BUT I have to disagree with the point "It is the same as Canada, US, Aus, etc" - no. It isn't. Because in Canada, US, and Aus, you apply for a PR visa for your foreign spouse and they get PR and are allowed to move with you to that country. No absurd financial requirements. So there isn't a reason to bring your spouse in on a tourist visa with the intent to remain.
Well said! And very true. Britain is the only country applying such ridiculous restrictions.
If I had been offered a L1 visa to go the USA ,my wife and child automatically have a right to live and work in USA without any other requirements!!

I did not choose to ignore the spouse visa process. Pollyana!

I chose to choose the best interest of my child first. For his mother and father to be with him and for him to start primary school in the UK and for us to start a life here. rent a house, find a job and get her name on documents etc. We have achieved most of this, just missing the job. I have an interview next week so fingers crossed.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:30 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
But isn't a UK citizen a EU citizen? the door swings both ways... he should HAVE THE GOD DAMN RIGHT to bring his wife in.

People need to play the human rights act more, they will win when it reaches court.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

But isn't a UK citizen a EU citizen? the door swings both ways... he should HAVE THE GOD DAMN RIGHT to bring his wife in.

People need to play the human rights act more, they will win when it reaches court.
Good point.....
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:34 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

He does have the right - when he meets the criteria for the visa. To suggest that the UK allows any spouse from anywhere in without any kind of check or balance is frankly lunacy. Every country has criteria for admission of a spouse, the EU is just a special case because of the agreements.

Just another reason to get out of that absurd group of bureaucrats.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 1:44 pm
Looking Around~

Originally Posted by civilservant
He does have the right - when he meets the criteria for the visa. To suggest that the UK allows any spouse from anywhere in without any kind of check or balance is frankly lunacy. Every country has criteria for admission of a spouse, the EU is just a special case because of the agreements.

Just another reason to get out of that absurd group of bureaucrats.
I understand that,

but if you look at it another way,

UK Citizen - EU citizen
Bring in your spouse to UK (which is in EU)

Eu human rights/right to a family life is strong and accepted.

So what is wrong there? most people go to court and win the case when they mention EU HUMAN RIGHTS.

The system is messed up.

I'm pretty sure if i went to court about this (i'll win) they really want to separate a British baby from it's mother?

Last edited by Vexcore; Aug 5th 2014 at 1:48 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

I am a US citizen, and it took roughly 8 months from application to green card for my husband. Further as the sponsor, I had to agree to support him for 10 years. Now granted they didn't ask HOW I was planning to support him, but even if we had divorced I was 'responsible' for him.

Every country has rules. US employers are required to verify legal status of their employees. States have to verify legal status before issuing a driving license. And even citizens are required to have a social security number to work, and unlike when I was a kid, you now get one very soon after birth.

In the early days of the EU, you would not believe the bureaucracy/cost for me to live legally with my Brit husband in Portugal. And at that time, children born in Portugal to non-Portuguese parents (including parents from former colonies like Cape Verde) had NO rights in Portugal, and being born there did NOT make them citizens.

And BTW - anyone issued with an L1 visa in the USA must apply for, and be granted, an L2 visa for their spouse and dependents. In order to work, the L2 visa holder must apply for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). So the statement that that the spouse and dependent "automatically have a right to live and work in USA without any other requirements" is not quite correct.

Sure some of the rules now in place in the UK are politically motivated. When have they not been? But some came about because of abuse of the system. A few bad apples have made it a lot more difficult for the rest of us.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Eu human rights/right to a family life is strong and accepted.
The Human Right to a family life doesn't mean you get to choose the county you can have that family life in.

So what is wrong there? most people go to court and win the case when they mention EU HUMAN RIGHTS.
The UK's new Immigration Law 2014 has diluted the Human Rights Act.

I'm pretty sure if i went to court about this (i'll win) they really want to separate a British baby from it's mother?
How would the UK government be separating a British child from it's mother if you are all living in mother's country together???

Last edited by formula; Aug 5th 2014 at 2:10 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 2:36 pm
Looking Around~

Originally Posted by formula
The Human Right to a family life doesn't mean you get to choose the county you can have that family life in.

The UK's new Immigration Law 2014 has diluted the Human Rights Act.

How would the UK governmnet be separating a British child from it's mother if you are all living in mother's country together???
England is my country, my son is a British citizen, would they dare take her away from her child?

Immigration act 2014, is a farce it's gonna go horribly wrong. soon

Originally Posted by formula
Why not? so you're saying 'I DONT HAVE A RIGHT' in my own country? lol righty so....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.