Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

How long do i have to return to the uk to be classed as an ordinary resident?

How long do i have to return to the uk to be classed as an ordinary resident?

Old Jun 23rd 2017, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

rhys_cranny is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How long do i have to return to the uk to be classed as an ordinary resident?

Hi all,
Im having some issues with how long i need to return to the uk to be classed as an ordinary resident.
I left the uk in 2012 to travel and am currently in the Caribbean. i was only meant to be away for 6 months but that didn't happen. I never declared that i was leaving the uk when i left. I have just obtained a two year working holiday visa for canada which ill be starting in jan 2018.
Im also trying to apply for a working holiday visa for New Zealand which i would like to start after canada.
There website and help team have told me that i am not classed as a ordinary resident as i have been outside of the uk for more than two years, which means i am no longer eligible
if i return to the uk and apply from there after canada how long do i need to be at my home address for before i will become eligible? any help would be greatly appreciated!
thanks rhys
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

poida is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: How long do i have to return to the uk to be classed as an ordinary resident?

It sounds like 'Ordinarily Resident' is a term that NZ immigration use so it would depend on what they define as being 'Ordinarily Resident'.

It might not necessarily be a timeframe, but I would imagine that evidence of being settled would help. ie Utility Bills, employment payslips, mortgage statement etc.
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How long do i have to return to the uk to be classed as an ordinary resident?

"An Ordinarily Resident is a PERSON who is Ordinarily Resident in the United Kingdom and cannot be charged for NHS hospital healthcare. Note: The gov.uk website advises that; “Ordinary Residence means, broadly, living in the UK on a lawful, voluntary and properly settled basis for the time being."

Also Check this:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ordina...esident_status
Old Jun 23rd 2017, 11:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...AN&applying=no

"It’s ok to apply while you’re temporarily visiting another country. You will be considered ordinarily resident in your country of citizenship if you have been away for less than two years prior to making a visa application."
Old Jun 24th 2017, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Ordinary resident for what purpose? It varies by purpose. For example, for unemployment benefits you need to have been back living in the UK a minimum of three months.
Old Jun 27th 2017, 10:32 pm
Just Joined

rhys_cranny is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses guys, it looks like that i can return to the uk ( im looking at about 2 months ) and while im back i can apply for my working holiday visa for New Zealand with proof of living back in the uk. The uk is still my permanent residence and i still have uk bank accounts and a home address there so im hoping this wont be a problem for me as i would have been not living in the uk for about 6 and a half years by that point. fingers crossed!
cheers rhys
Old Jun 28th 2017, 9:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Ordinary resident for what purpose? It varies by purpose. For example, for unemployment benefits you need to have been back living in the UK a minimum of three months.
Ordinary residence is immaterial for unemployment benefits.
Habitual residence is key for unemployment benefits.