Help please! - Question from a newbie

Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Lee_337 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Help please! - Question from a newbie

Originally Posted by londoner007
You think she's a gold digger lol. If she's as lovely as you say she is why not just marry and apply. There is no OMG about it. If you want casual gf and cant wait why not find no strings here?
Thanks for your reply!

lol
No she is most certainly not a gold digger and I'm not looking for a casual girlfriend or anyone else! It's just that it seems crazy to me that the only real option is to actually get married but that's not something we had even discussed as we haven't been in the relationship that long...isn't marriage a thing couples do after being with each other for a while first?
Old Feb 24th 2017, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
To be blunt there's no 'boyfriend/girlfriend, see how it goes' visa. Marriage is your only realistic option to bring her to the UK now.
Yeah, so it seems...what a shame. If this is our only option then so be it, but I think all this encourages is couples to dive straight into a marriage when it needn't be like that...marriage is a serious thing, yet it's being treated as if it's just a temporary 'throw away' statement. I just don't get it!
Old Feb 24th 2017, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

We don't encourage people to get married just to be together; especially when they are new to their relationship.

However, if one is in a relationship with someone from a foreign country, then sometimes this is the only option. Most people would continue with the long term relationship before taking such a step.

Continue visiting and see how it goes.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
We don't encourage people to get married just to be together; especially when they are new to their relationship.

However, if one is in a relationship with someone from a foreign country, then sometimes this is the only option. Most people would continue with the long term relationship before taking such a step.

Continue visiting and see how it goes.
Thanks again for your reply!

Although both of us didn't have any intention of getting married so soon, we have now discussed it and decided to get married in order to be able to live and work together, as it's the only really practical option we have. Trying to continue a long distance long term relationship isn't really an option due to the sheer expense of travelling costs...the cheapest return tickets are around £900!!!

We have decided that I will go back to the Philippines next January 2018, stay for a while and get married there. Then, after I return home to the UK we can apply for a spouse visa so she can join me.
Old Feb 25th 2017, 11:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lee_337

Although both of us didn't have any intention of getting married so soon, we have now discussed it and decided to get married in order to be able to live and work together, as it's the only really practical option we have. Trying to continue a long distance long term relationship isn't really an option due to the sheer expense of travelling costs...the cheapest return tickets are around £900!!!

We have decided that I will go back to the Philippines next January 2018, stay for a while and get married there. Then, after I return home to the UK we can apply for a spouse visa so she can join me.

There are financial, accommodation and relationship criteria to qualify for a spouse visa.

The financial criteria are below. See how you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Basically, you have to have minimum income of 18,600 GBP per annum.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Don't know where you get £900 from! Just looked on skyscanner for leaving Jan10 2018 , returning 8 Feb 2018 and Qatar at £503 , cheapest, Singapore £689 , both from Heathrow.That fits within the 30 day free visa limits, but you can extend up to 3 years before you have to leave for 24 hours.
One major point : If you marry here in Philippines there is NO divorce! Only alternative is an annulment but that costs thousands and takes forever. Once you are married then yes, you can apply for a spouse visa but be aware it will take months as Philippines is on the "suspect" list for forged documents etc - plus human trafficking - so checking everything takes time.
Old Feb 26th 2017, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, forgot to add that January is still in the high season for airfares to here. Currently Phillippine airlines had a promo of £380 Manila/LHR return! Maybe look at other dates?
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
There are financial, accommodation and relationship criteria to qualify for a spouse visa.

The financial criteria are below. See how you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...equirement.pdf

Basically, you have to have minimum income of 18,600 GBP per annum.
Thanks again. Yes I read that. I can get work paying that kind of wage quite easily (if I'm flexible with location!) so that's not a problem. I think my only real problem will be with the time it takes to complete all the checks.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quiltman
Don't know where you get £900 from! Just looked on skyscanner for leaving Jan10 2018 , returning 8 Feb 2018 and Qatar at £503 , cheapest, Singapore £689 , both from Heathrow.That fits within the 30 day free visa limits, but you can extend up to 3 years before you have to leave for 24 hours.
One major point : If you marry here in Philippines there is NO divorce! Only alternative is an annulment but that costs thousands and takes forever. Once you are married then yes, you can apply for a spouse visa but be aware it will take months as Philippines is on the "suspect" list for forged documents etc - plus human trafficking - so checking everything takes time.
Hi mate. Thanks for info. Yeah, I was getting prices direct from airlines rather than using a 'cheapo website based only' agent as it's a lot easier if things go pear-shaped (as they did for me on my last trip!!) Yes I'm also aware of the fact it may take longer for all checks to be completed due to the country being on the suspect list as you say. We would've preferred getting married here in the UK but as I understand it she would have to first get a visa to enter in order to get married here, go back home within 6 months and then reapply to enter as my wife!! It would be ideal if once the marriage was done she could just get the visa changed locally without having to go home first. I do understand why our governments put restrictions on foreigners and on natives getting married to foreigners, but I'm not sure I totally agree with the way they go about it.
Old Feb 28th 2017, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quiltman
Oh, forgot to add that January is still in the high season for airfares to here. Currently Phillippine airlines had a promo of £380 Manila/LHR return! Maybe look at other dates?
Thanks again for the info.

Yes I could look at different dates I guess...the main reason I choose January is because it's not so damn hot...I don't do really hot temperatures! lol

PS. It looks like you're in the same part of the country as my girlfriend btw!
Old Mar 1st 2017, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

ruri is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lee, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, It is not easy I'm sure. Obviously there is nothing I can help you with personally, but don't feel down, the rules have been hard on everybody else including myself and my family.

I met my husband when he was still a teenager and we were in a LDR from 2006 to 2013 when we finally got married. We knew we wanted to marry each other for a long time but it was a dream we never wanted to rush. We were never rich either, money was always the hardest part of our relationship at that time.

Long story short, we are now living together in the UK since I got my spouse visa early last year, but even then thing was never easy as usual. Our daughter and I had to be apart from my husband for 9 months before we reunited again, all for the sake of the spouse visa and to settle and live together legally. This was also caused by our decision to live together in my country where my husband worked with a local company for a year after the birth of our daughter. So to meet the visa requirements we had to go through that terrible time until we were finally able to fill up the application form.

Well, thank God everything went well in the end. I do hope it goes easier for you and your girlfriend but again, don't feel down. Whatever you both decide to do, I highly recommend this forum for future questions about visas, etc. I did my application all so well after bombing the members in this forum with hundreds of questions Everyone was very helpful!

Good luck
Old Mar 1st 2017, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ruri
Hi Lee, I'm so sorry to hear about your situation, It is not easy I'm sure. Obviously there is nothing I can help you with personally, but don't feel down, the rules have been hard on everybody else including myself and my family.

I met my husband when he was still a teenager and we were in a LDR from 2006 to 2013 when we finally got married. We knew we wanted to marry each other for a long time but it was a dream we never wanted to rush. We were never rich either, money was always the hardest part of our relationship at that time.

Long story short, we are now living together in the UK since I got my spouse visa early last year, but even then thing was never easy as usual. Our daughter and I had to be apart from my husband for 9 months before we reunited again, all for the sake of the spouse visa and to settle and live together legally. This was also caused by our decision to live together in my country where my husband worked with a local company for a year after the birth of our daughter. So to meet the visa requirements we had to go through that terrible time until we were finally able to fill up the application form.

Well, thank God everything went well in the end. I do hope it goes easier for you and your girlfriend but again, don't feel down. Whatever you both decide to do, I highly recommend this forum for future questions about visas, etc. I did my application all so well after bombing the members in this forum with hundreds of questions Everyone was very helpful!

Good luck
Hi there ruri,

Thanks for the supportive words. It all helps!

And I'm glad to hear that things did work out for you in the end. Hopefully it will also work out well for myself and my girlfriend. Thanks again.