Getting a UK passport for my kids

Old Oct 14th 2006, 6:03 am
Hussy

mika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of lightmika24me is a glorious beacon of light
Default Getting a UK passport for my kids

Hello

looking for some information from someone who is a British citizen, had their kids in Oz, and got UK passports for their kids.

I have been to the british high commission website http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ault.asp?id=46 and know the form I have to fill in. I just have a few questions.

1) do I need to apply for a citizenship registration document for my kids before I make the passport applicatiion and if so how would I go about this?

2) it says on the website that I must provide 2 forms of ID, such as gas bill, bank statement, for the child getting the passport (even though under 16). My children are 10 months and 2 years so I don't have this sort of ID for them - has anyone else gotton round this and how?

3) how do I get a hard copy of the forms, the website only offers you the option to print them out yourself and my printer is not great so would prefer to have the forms ready printed.

Thanks everyone, I know the website probably covers all these areas but my mind is boggled and I don't really want to call the helpline at $1.55 a minute sso if anyone can help I would appreciate it

cheers

Mel
Old Oct 14th 2006, 6:18 am
Pass The Post

Location: Ping Ponged York via Melbourne and now pinged to Ferny Hills, Brisbane
joh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to beholdjoh117 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Getting a UK passport for my kids

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hello

looking for some information from someone who is a British citizen, had their kids in Oz, and got UK passports for their kids.

I have been to the british high commission website http://bhc.britaus.net/Passports/pas...ault.asp?id=46 and know the form I have to fill in. I just have a few questions.

1) do I need to apply for a citizenship registration document for my kids before I make the passport applicatiion and if so how would I go about this?

2) it says on the website that I must provide 2 forms of ID, such as gas bill, bank statement, for the child getting the passport (even though under 16). My children are 10 months and 2 years so I don't have this sort of ID for them - has anyone else gotton round this and how?

3) how do I get a hard copy of the forms, the website only offers you the option to print them out yourself and my printer is not great so would prefer to have the forms ready printed.

Thanks everyone, I know the website probably covers all these areas but my mind is boggled and I don't really want to call the helpline at $1.55 a minute sso if anyone can help I would appreciate it

cheers

Mel
Mel

I got a passport for my daughter Erykah last year. I managed to print the form off so dont know how you would go about getting a hard copy. Do you not know anyone who could print it off for you or could someone you know print it off at work?

Other option is to email them (I did with regards the ID stuff) They were happy with Erykah's bank statement as I had opened an account for her. I only had one form of ID though.

All I did was fill in the form, send her bank statement and the money and she was issued with one no probs. It takes much longer than getting an aussie passport but that didnt suprise me they take forever in the UK too.

Hope this helps but I would recommend if you have any further questions email them they were quick to respond

Jo
Old Oct 14th 2006, 10:45 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

hiya,

if you phone them they will post a set of forms to you - no problems. Actually they are quite helpful when you do speak to them.

I didn't supply any 'ID' for our Aussie born son when we applied for his passport. Just his birth certificate and then proof our my marriage to his British citizen father. So, as you are British you would perhaps be as well to include proof of your citizenship which could be as simple as giving your passport number, issue date and issuing authority.

Also - there is no need to 'register' yoour childrens birth in any way prior to applying for the passport was the advice they gave us when I asked them the same question - and other than waiting a couple of months the passport was issued without any problems.

All the best
Old Oct 14th 2006, 1:37 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mika24me
Hello

If you were born or naturalised in the UK, and (if the father) were married to the mother, then the child is automatically British. They don't do consular birth registration in Australia, so a British passport is the normal proof of citizenship.

Registration as a British citizen may be required if:

- the British one parent is British "by descent"; or
- (for children born before 1 July 2006), where citizenship is claimed based on a father who is not married to the mother.