First British Passport Frustrations!!

Old Nov 30th 2014, 9:16 am
Just Joined

jjghana is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry First British Passport Frustrations!!

I have applied for my son's first UK passport (I am british and his mother is Ghanaian). We applied at the start of July 14 and there is still no progress - roughly 20 weeks so far and counting....

We applied for a certificate of birth registration from the British High Commission in Accra which was included in his application. We have not been contacted for any further documents.

Another family we know that has applied from Ghana, about 6 weeks after us have been contacted for more documents. We have heard nothing.

I have called numerous times and its the sam old lines.... "in progress"

Due to the nearby Ebola risk I have complained to them that I do not have the ability to relocate my family away from Ghana if Ebola becomes prevalent. This was not answered apart from a cut and paste email reply.

Does anyone have any update on processing times or experiencing similar issues?
Old Nov 30th 2014, 9:19 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: First British Passport Frustrations!!

Originally Posted by jjghana
I have applied for my son's first UK passport (I am british and his mother is Ghanaian). We applied at the start of July 14 and there is still no progress - roughly 20 weeks so far and counting....

We applied for a certificate of birth registration from the British High Commission in Accra which was included in his application. We have not been contacted for any further documents.

Another family we know that has applied from Ghana, about 6 weeks after us have been contacted for more documents. We have heard nothing.

Due to the nearby Ebola risk I have complained to them that I do not have the ability to relocate my family away from Ghana if Ebola becomes prevalent. This was not answered apart from a cut and paste email reply.

There is a thread in the moving Back to the UK section on the subject - http://britishexpats.com/forum/citiz.../#post11481063
Old Nov 30th 2014, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Didn't they have a massive backlog at some point this year?
Old Nov 30th 2014, 10:08 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Any country which is considered to be at high risk for fraudulent applications will experience delays of varying lengths of time. Ghana is one of these countries. If you included a consular birth certificate with the application then I'm surprised it's taking this long unless they are rechecking the original documents. Did you also include your son's original Ghanaian birth certificate as well as the consular birth certificate?
Old Nov 30th 2014, 10:13 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Any country which is considered to be at high risk for fraudulent applications will experience delays of varying lengths of time. Ghana is one of these countries. If you included a consular birth certificate with the application then I'm surprised it's taking this long unless they are rechecking the original documents. Did you also include your son's original Ghanaian birth certificate as well as the consular birth certificate?
Yes, I included his two (there are two types you can get in Ghana) original birth certificates as well as his consular birth certificates. He was born at the best private clinic in the country so I can't see a reason why that would be a reason for delay.

If the high commission have already approved the documents surely the certificate will be enough. If they themselves are looking into all the documents without support of their local high commission staff then this is crazy.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I included his two (there are two types you can get in Ghana) original birth certificates as well as his consular birth certificates. He was born at the best private clinic in the country so I can't see a reason why that would be a reason for delay.

If the high commission have already approved the documents surely the certificate will be enough. If they themselves are looking into all the documents without support of their local high commission staff then this is crazy.
I should add I included all documents that I supplied for the consular birth certificate within his passport application.

The countersignaturer has not been contacted.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 10:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would be interested to see if you had a similar delay if you only had supplied the consular birth certificate. I note from your other posts that you have been in contact with your MP. I would keep this up. It's usually the only way to speed things up.
Old Nov 30th 2014, 10:19 pm
Just Joined

I would be interested to see if you had a similar delay if you only had supplied the consular birth certificate. I note from your other posts that you have been in contact with your MP. I would keep this up. It's usually the only way to speed things up.
Meaning I actually gave them documents to look into rather than just included british high commission certify documents?

That would have gone against application guides though...?
Old Nov 30th 2014, 10:49 pm

Meaning I actually gave them documents to look into rather than just included british high commission certify documents?
That is a distinct possibility.

That would have gone against application guides though...?
No, if you have a consular birth certificate, then you don't need to supply any other supporting documents beyond a copy of any foreign passports the applicant may already hold. It is in the supporting documents guide, albeit in very small print (my emphasis in bold).

Table C

Applicants born or adopted outside the UK – parents’ or adoptive parents’ documents

Please provide the following:

The passport you entered the country from which you are applying, or any non-British passport held. If the birth certificate you provide has not been issued by a British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate showing parents’ details, also provide evidence as shown in the table below:
Old Nov 30th 2014, 10:50 pm
Just Joined

That is a distinct possibility.

No, if you have a consular birth certificate, then you don't need to supply any other supporting documents beyond a copy of any foreign passports the applicant may already hold. It is in the supporting documents guide, albeit in very small print (my emphasis in bold).
damn it!!!
Old Dec 11th 2014, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I am. Twenty+ weeks also. Ridiculous!

I applied to renew my old blue book passport. I am in the USA and sent the app and docs to the UK - Durham. The embassy in DC is even less help than they were five months ago.

I still don't have my passport and I am very worried about it. Tonight I plan to write to a UK MP and even the newspapers over there. I am horrified at this mess.
Old Dec 11th 2014, 9:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried calling the following number:

Telephone: +44 (0) 300 222 0000 Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm (UK time) Saturday, Sunday and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm (UK time)

It's the Passport Advice Line.

This problem has been known about since the middle of the year. There was a backlog of approx 500,000 in July 2014
Old Dec 13th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
Yes, I am. Twenty+ weeks also. Ridiculous!

I applied to renew my old blue book passport. I am in the USA and sent the app and docs to the UK - Durham. The embassy in DC is even less help than they were five months ago.

I still don't have my passport and I am very worried about it. Tonight I plan to write to a UK MP and even the newspapers over there. I am horrified at this mess.
My 3 grand-children were all born in the US but their mothers (my daughters) were born in England, so they are British citizens by descent. My youngest grandson's British passport (his first) took almost 5 months. It took a while, but it came eventually. Hopefully you won't have to wait too much longer.
Old Jan 21st 2015, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Nanyukiboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's what I did on the advice of a friend who had done the same after six frustrating months of waiting for the first passport for my Kenyan born son. I wrote to the new interim Director General of Her Majesty’s Passport Office, Tyson Hepple explaining his predecessor's incompetence and complaining about the number of times I'd been hung up on, racially slurred and generally badly treated by the Durham PP office when I had called. I also included a subject access request (and pointed out that I did not have to fill out their stupid form to request this legally) and the £10.00 statuatory fee. The request was for all information relating to my son's application and that is going to take someone a long time to put together.

Two days later I got a phone call sying the passport is ready and on it's way to Nairobi. Strangely the exact same timing as my friend after two days of the letter being received!

Contact him at;

4th Floor, Peel Building
2 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DF

if you feel like giving it a go!