Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Filling out application to renew UK passport but might not be a citizen?!!!

Filling out application to renew UK passport but might not be a citizen?!!!

Old Dec 6th 2017, 2:24 am
Just Joined

autoxer7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Filling out application to renew UK passport but might not be a citizen?!!!

Hi,

Situation: I'm a dual UK/US citizen living in the US attempting to renew my expired UK passport (issued in Washington DC in 1995, expired in 2005). I was born in 1966 in London to an English mother and Hong Kong father (FWIW, parents were married when I was born but since divorced).

During the online application process it asks for my parents' information and references this Help page (passportapplication.service.gov.uk/help/html/pages/20.05_04_why-are_en.html). In part it lays out what I believe to be the three ways to confirm my nationality:

1. If you were born in the United Kingdom after 31 December 1982, you will only be British if either or both of your parents:
    - were British at the time of your birth;
    - or were settled in the United Kingdom at the time of your birth
  2. If you were born outside the UK on or before 31 December 1982 you can only claim British nationality through either parent. If your parents were born outside the UK, their nationality cannot be passed to you.
  3. If you were born before 1 July 2006, then British nationality can only be claimed through the father if your parent's were married at the time of your birth, or have married since.

None of the above appear to apply to my situation (born in the UK in 1966 to a British mother). Not the first since I was born in 1966; not the second because I was born in the UK; and not the third because my father was never a UK citizen.

And yet if I go here (http://www.gov.uk/check-british-citi...nuary-1983/yes) it says after answering but two questions that I'm a British citizen.

What am I missing? The best I can figure is the Help page is poorly worded and doesn't explicitly cover being born in the UK on or before 31 DEC 1982.

The reason this is bothersome for me is I'm not sure filling out the parents' info will matter as it can't be used to determine my eligibility. In which case do I need to include my birth certificate in my application?

I have a "Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth." Is this the same as a birth certificate?

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by autoxer7; Dec 6th 2017 at 4:20 am.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 10:13 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filling out application to renew UK passport but might not be a citizen?!!!

If you were born in the UK before 1 January 1983 then you automatically be a British citizen by birth; your parents' status is irrelevant unless they held diplomatic immunity. Since your passport expired more than ten years ago then you should include your full birth certificate as you will be effectively making a first time application. A Certified Copy of an Entry of Birth should list both your parents' details - that is your full birth certificate.
Old Dec 6th 2017, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

OldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond reputeOldJuddian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Filling out application to renew UK passport but might not be a citizen?!!!

If you cannot find your full birth certificate then order a replacement here: https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-...re-information

9 GBP or 23.40 for expedited.

Process is surprisingly simple and quick.