Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Fiance Visa - No Tenancy Agreement. Are we wasting our time?

Fiance Visa - No Tenancy Agreement. Are we wasting our time?

Old Feb 27th 2017, 7:31 am
Just Joined

AussieExpat123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fiance Visa - No Tenancy Agreement. Are we wasting our time?

Hi,

My finance is in the UK and I am in Australia and we are in the process of people together a fiance Visa for us to get married and live in the UK.

We have everything that it looks like is required of us, except we do not have a tenancy agreement. My fiance currently lives in a share house, with one of the other members in the house on the tenancy agreement. For whatever reason the landlord does not want to draw up a new tenancy agreement with my fiance's name on it as well.

The real estate agent has said they will sign a letter stating she has been living in the house for 6 months and that I have permission from the landlord to reside in the place once I arrive.

What are people's thoughts on this situation?
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:24 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fiance Visa - No Tenancy Agreement. Are we wasting our time?

Are you expecting to move into the share house?
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:28 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Are you expecting to move into the share house?
Yes I would be moving into the share house. The real estate agent is happy to write a letter stating that I will be moving into the property once my Visa is granted. However, the landlord does not want my fiance to be on the tenancy agreement itself.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 8:34 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AussieExpat123
Yes I would be moving into the share house. The real estate agent is happy to write a letter stating that I will be moving into the property once my Visa is granted. However, the landlord does not want my fiance to be on the tenancy agreement itself.
Without her name on the tenancy agreement she could be turned out on the street at any time without any legal recourse. A letter from the landlord won't carry much weight and I suspect that would be the ECO's opinion as well. Maybe time to start looking for a new property if the landlord won't budge. The loss of your fiancé's rent may spur them into taking the hit from the estate agent to draw up a new tenancy agreement if that's their issue.
Old Feb 27th 2017, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Without her name on the tenancy agreement she could be turned out on the street at any time without any legal recourse. A letter from the landlord won't carry much weight and I suspect that would be the ECO's opinion as well. Maybe time to start looking for a new property if the landlord won't budge. The loss of your fiancé's rent may spur them into taking the hit from the estate agent to draw up a new tenancy agreement if that's their issue.
Yeah that is our concern as well. The way it seems is that we are not going to get a tenancy agreement, so one option is to move into a new tenancy.

Is there any merit in getting a statutory decleration from her mum and brother stating we could move into either of their houses is a worst case scenario. Her mum owns a 3-bedroom house with just herself living there, and her brother owns a 4-bedroom house with just 2 adults and 1 kid. There is ample room for us in a worst case scenario, but unfortunatley I'm not confident at all in an ECO seeing it that way.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 4:21 pm

I think that would be a very good idea and I wouldn't mention the share house at all. Whether you decide to live there or not after the visa is granted is up to you. You should also include evidence that her mother owns the property and that there is sufficient room as you say.
Old Mar 6th 2017, 9:20 pm
Just Joined

Cheers guys. On advice from a lawyer, we've got a copy of the land title, a property inspection and a letter from her mum stating that we can stay there.

We have mentioned the share house in London because a lot of my fiance's mail gets sent there.

i guess we'll just wait and see. Should know in a couple of weeks.