Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Old Mar 15th 2014, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

uk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud ofuk_sweetie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Experience of renewing UK passport from overseas

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Be aware that US citizens are required to enter and leave the US on US passports. You'll need to renew any expired US passports before you go.
Yep, more money..
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Lw89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Can anyone advise on how long it took them to receive their passport after it had been printed?

I found out mine was printed last week and with the courier but apparently no tracking number - apparently they get no information from the courier until it hasn't been delivered for ten working days.... Pretty sure I paid forty quid or something for the courier and it's kind of helpful to be able to track so I know to look out for it / can chase it up - seems pretty ridiculous. I'm in the Netherlands so it's not exactly far from the UK but they said it's tight if I try to fly next Friday which is over one week after being printed and five weeks after they originally received it.

Really confused as to why they can't provide a tracking number.....and how they even send it since I've received multiple inconsistent answers saying I can have a tracking number, DHL etc.

Getting a bit desperate since need to pay flight..
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 11:56 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

^--- I was under the impression... they email you a DHL tracking number when they send the package out (as its a secured government document..)
Old Mar 23rd 2014, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

Lw89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks - that would make sense to me and that's the impression I had, which would mean it's probably sitting around waiting to get shipped - and any delay will be from them. However, the problem I have is they keep giving different answers with some claiming I will not receive any tracking number ever and others claiming DHL , call for the number. One even said I'd just get a random call from an unknown number and they'd come to wherever I was.....
Old Mar 24th 2014, 4:13 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Passports can all be done online now !! hooray !
Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

tuckersworld is an unknown quantity at this point

I just applied via the "new" beta online application..my passport was over 10 years expired but, it never prompted me for my family information (except for my Mother and Father's first names) beta programs make me nervous.

BTW...as a sidebar The cost has significantly gone down (to $175.00) but, the UPS International courier cost $62.00....so it was a bit of a wash.
Old Apr 17th 2014, 10:32 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Location: Originally-Leyton E10,London, then Harlow new town, Essex, and eventually ended up in Orlando area
callowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of lightcallowman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tuckersworld
I just applied via the "new" beta online application..my passport was over 10 years expired but, it never prompted me for my family information (except for my Mother and Father's first names) beta programs make me nervous.

BTW...as a sidebar The cost has significantly gone down (to $175.00) but, the UPS International courier cost $62.00....so it was a bit of a wash.
yea nice to see a decrease, I just got mine last week. came via DHL
about 6 weeks total time
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:39 pm
Just Joined

Brady121 is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for my first british passport about 5 weeks ago (entitled due to birth rights). I am aware that they say it takes 6 weeks. But was just wondering, when it's sent back to you. Do they contact you before they send it? Like do you get any information at all back from them, or did your passport just turn up?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:01 pm
A Cockney Floridian

Originally Posted by Brady121
I applied for my first british passport about 5 weeks ago (entitled due to birth rights). I am aware that they say it takes 6 weeks. But was just wondering, when it's sent back to you. Do they contact you before they send it? Like do you get any information at all back from them, or did your passport just turn up?
No, you can check the status on the website but I found it was not updated- because the day I received mine, the website was still saying working on it or something like that.
I DID get notification from DHL that they were delivering the passports tho and what day etc
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

Brady121 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by callowman
No, you can check the status on the website but I found it was not updated- because the day I received mine, the website was still saying working on it or something like that.
I DID get notification from DHL that they were delivering the passports tho and what day etc
First of all thanks for the reply!

Yeah mine has said for weeks now - "Declaration form received, being processed". How far in advance did DHL contact you?
Old Apr 18th 2014, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Jackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant futureJackandvictor has a brilliant future

DHL call the day before the passports are to be delivered. The old passport usually follows a day or so later. My passport was renewed in Feb and it took 5 weeks exactly from the day it was received in Durham.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 5:34 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brady121
My status was updated to 'dispatched' and the passport delivered the next day. Documents arrived a day later. DHL, sent me an SMS the morning of the delivery.
Old Apr 19th 2014, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

AndrewInBradfordCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied for my British Passport through decent of my father as he was born in the UK. I sent all the documents( his birth certificate, parents marriage and my short and long form birth certificate) and all guarantor information with his passport number and country as asked for on application. We live in Canada so I sent my forms and all supporting documentation over to the Durham passport office and they received it on February 9,2014. I was tracking it online but all of a sudden got locked out and no way the have the password reset. Emailing the office through the contact us page on their website takes so long to receive a response. Got a response saying it was waiting to be examined. After about 8 weeks after they received the package I received a letter in general post mail( which only took about one week to receive from the UK)asking for further information from guarantor regarding the passport information and verification of other information on guarantor company letterhead. They wanted a colour copy of his passport as they could not find his passport number in their system. So I send it in using courier again at another expense and they received it on April 7th. They should just ask for a copy of the guarantors passport in the first place instead of just the number. I also originally sent A full colour copy of my entire Canadian passport instead of sending the real passport to the UK(we were travelling so I couldn't send the passport) I tried calling the UK a few days ago and got put on hold a few times as they couldn't find my information. I had to hang up as it is quite expensive being put on hold. So I decided to email them again and finally got a response saying the passport was printed April 16th.

So that is my experience. A bit confusing and I think the needs to be a lot of work that is needed on the UK side of things if they want to make it more smooth of a process and want everyone to mail the applications to the UK.

So my UK passport was printed on April 16. What courier will they use to send to Canada and how long does that usually take. I am going on vacation April 25 for a week and hoping it will arrive before we leave. And will anyone else be able to sign for the package.
Old Apr 20th 2014, 1:32 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AndrewInBradfordCanada
After about 8 weeks after they received the package I received a letter in general post mail( which only took about one week to receive from the UK)asking for further information from guarantor regarding the passport information and verification of other information on guarantor company letterhead. They wanted a colour copy of his passport as they could not find his passport number in their system. So I send it in using courier again at another expense and they received it on April 7th. They should just ask for a copy of the guarantors passport in the first place instead of just the number.
The instructions do say that a copy of the counter signatory's passport photo page should be included.

Quote:
When they hold a US, Commonwealth or other EU (not British or Irish) passport, they must provide a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it. This must be included with the countersigned application
Old Apr 20th 2014, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

AndrewInBradfordCanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I am not too sure where that information is found but on the application I completed from their website it says this on the form about guarantors:
"I hold a full current British, Irish, other EU, US or Commonwealth passport (delete as appropriate)."

And also

"If the applicant lives and is applying from outside the UK the countersignatory must:
• hold a UK, Irish or other EU, US or
Commonwealth passport (in order of preference) which has not run out. We will be able to process applications more quickly where the countersignature has a UK or Irish passport.
• not be a commercially employed agent helping you to apply for a passport.

Even in the Guidance notes available it only asks for the guarantor to specify which country they hold a passport from and list the number, I couldn't find anything asking for a full colour copy of the passport. But oh well. I know dealing with government doesn't always goes smoothly. And maybe I am totally missing something as well. I went through these notes and applications so many times to make sure I had what I needed. But oh well. My passport is on the way soon

Any idea what courier they will use to send from the UK to Canada and how long it usually takes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.