Entering the UK on a Canadian passport

Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Entering the UK on a Canadian passport

My children were born in Canada and have Canadian passports. Their dad is British, so they are British citizens apart from also being Canadian citizens.
They currently don't have British passports.
If we return to the UK and they enter on a Canadian passport will there be any problems until we get them British ones? Will they be able to use the healthcare system?
Once they get their British passports, will we need to leave the UK and re-enter using the British ones?
Many thanks.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 7:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Entering the UK on a Canadian passport

It's best for you to obtain your children's British passports before you return to the UK or you may have problems at the border if you declare your intention is to remain in the UK beyond six months.

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

The only reason not to get the children passports ahead of time is an urgency due to unplanned circumstances.
If you enter planning to visit family and then, once arrived, change your mind and decide to stay then you will not have to leave and re-enter.

As to NHS treatment it is your responsibility to prove that the kids have an intention to stay permanently ("reside for a settled purpose") and that they have the right to reside (ie in practice that they are citizens). Problems can be expected if unable to prove these things to the satisfaction of the medical provider. A passport is a very easy form of proof of right to reside. Enrollment in school or rental leases are common forms of proof of intention to reside permanently.

Last edited by holly_1948; Sep 3rd 2015 at 10:54 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by foreigngirl
My children were born in Canada and have Canadian passports. Their dad is British, so they are British citizens apart from also being Canadian citizens.
They currently don't have British passports.
If we return to the UK and they enter on a Canadian passport will there be any problems until we get them British ones? Will they be able to use the healthcare system?
Once they get their British passports, will we need to leave the UK and re-enter using the British ones?
Many thanks.
I'm British and have Canadian citizenship. When I came back to live in the UK after many years in Canada it was at the time last year when there was a huge backlog issuing British passports so I entered the UK on my Canadian passport and was treated as a Canadian eligible to stay only for six months even though I had my birth certificate with me. I applied for my British passport right away and actually received it within a few weeks. The GP I registered with had no interest in my nationality.
Old Sep 3rd 2015, 11:06 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

It is now getting much tougher to do anything in the UK - start work, rent a property, use NHS services or open a bank account - without first proving your immigration status.
Old Sep 4th 2015, 2:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by holly_1948
The only reason not to get the children passports ahead of time is an urgency due to unplanned circumstances.
If you enter planning to visit family and then, once arrived, change your mind and decide to stay then you will not have to leave and re-enter.

As to NHS treatment it is your responsibility to prove that the kids have an intention to stay permanently ("reside for a settled purpose") and that they have the right to reside (ie in practice that they are citizens). Problems can be expected if unable to prove these things to the satisfaction of the medical provider. A passport is a very easy form of proof of right to reside. Enrollment in school or rental leases are common forms of proof of intention to reside permanently.
In 2012, I had to do this with my Canadian/Brit daughter, & had no problems on entry, nor with registering with the local GP, school, etc. I do believe it may be more difficult now, however.

(We are now back in Canada)

Last edited by Shirtback; Sep 4th 2015 at 2:37 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

foreigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond reputeforeigngirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for all your responses everyone.
We still haven't applied for their British passports, as we weren't sure what we're going to be doing, but it looks like now we won't have time to apply before we go to the UK.
So they'll enter on their Canadian passports, but we'll apply for British ones right away.

So what happens when they get the 6-month visitor visa and they obviously stay longer? Do we need to inform anyone?
Old Nov 30th 2015, 5:24 pm

Thank you for all your responses everyone.
We still haven't applied for their British passports, as we weren't sure what we're going to be doing, but it looks like now we won't have time to apply before we go to the UK.
So they'll enter on their Canadian passports, but we'll apply for British ones right away.
When are you leaving Canada?

So what happens when they get the 6-month visitor visa and they obviously stay longer? Do we need to inform anyone?
Providing you are admitted into the UK at the border then no. If you're allowed to enter you'll probably be asked to obtain their British passports as soon as possible.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 9:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

...... as visitors on Canadian passports, until such time as they obtain their British passports, they won't be eligible for NHS except for emergency treatment.

Of course you might be able to register with a GP.
Old Nov 30th 2015, 10:09 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It is now getting much tougher to do anything in the UK - start work, rent a property, use NHS services or open a bank account - without first proving your immigration status.
As an Aussie in the UK on a spouse visa, I had to provide my biometric residence permit in order to register with the local GP.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
...... as visitors on Canadian passports, until such time as they obtain their British passports, they won't be eligible for NHS except for emergency treatment.
I've actually researched this and as long as we prove that we are intending to stay there permanently (by showing a rental contract for example), the kids will be eligible for NHS treatment.
Old Dec 1st 2015, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
As an Aussie in the UK on a spouse visa, I had to provide my biometric residence permit in order to register with the local GP.
I think my kids' situation is different to yours as they are British (their dad is British), they just don't have British passports. However, their dad's nationality is on their Canadian birth certificates.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 12:02 am
BE Enthusiast

In case anyone finds this post in their search, here is all the info:
http://www.rotherham.nhs.uk/foi/Guid...0Treatment.pdf

So my children, being dependents of NHS patients (myself and my husband) are entitled to free NHS treatment from the day they arrive.
Old Dec 2nd 2015, 8:03 am

I've actually researched this and as long as we prove that we are intending to stay there permanently (by showing a rental contract for example), the kids will be eligible for NHS treatment.
I think my kids' situation is different to yours as they are British (their dad is British), they just don't have British passports. However, their dad's nationality is on their Canadian birth certificates.

So my children, being dependents of NHS patients (myself and my husband) are entitled to free NHS treatment from the day they arrive.
All that is true. As British citizens ordinarily resident in the UK your children are entitled to free NHS care. Proving they are British citizens without a British birth certificate or passport is the stumbling block.
Old Dec 5th 2015, 1:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You are incorrect, if you are equating your children's status as a dependent to the situation in the following paragraph:

Ordinarily Resident - Confirming or determining a persons ‘settled status’ is key. For the purposes of the NHS if a new arrival provides documentary evidence that confirms he/she has been or intends to be in the UK for a particular purpose for 6 months or more i.e. Work Permit for a fixed period and tied to a particular post, being a full time student, Spouse joining
the other half for settlement as a dependant, Asylum Seekers, Dependents of an NHS Patient etc. In such cases you mustprovide full registration as they are eligible to free NHS care from the moment they arrive in the UK. Please note that a newly arrived individual does not have to first live here for 6 months before NHS care can be provided – practices are in error when refusing to register using this reasoning.

Without a British passport or birth certificate your children are/will be entering the UK as visitors - for up to 6 months. The paragraph above is talking about ordinarily resident people who have entered the UK with a visa status - student/spouse/work permit. Your children are not ordinarily resident and won't be until such time as you get them a British passport.

The fact they are dependent on you is immaterial - they are not resident in the UK and have nothing to prove they are British. You and your husband could be British by descent and then your children would have no automatic eligibility for British passports.