Enough for savings route?

Old Jan 21st 2018, 1:41 am
Forum Regular

cca123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Enough for savings route?

Is the following enough to go through savings route for spouse visa?
Savings-$24,000 (mixture of tax rebait, income that we've saved and inheritance. All came in at different times but held for 6months or more in our names)
Retirement 1- $40,000
Retirement 2-$13,000
Retirement 3- $4,500
Stocks (cashed out)-$10,000

This is all from this month. Do we just prove when we apply in August that its been held in our name for those 6months?
What if we make more and add to it?

I also (UK citizen) have job in states making over £18,600

I just want to be certain that all these different savings will allow us to go the savings route if I don't find a job over there....
Thank you!
Old Jan 21st 2018, 2:05 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Enough for savings route?

If it's all held in USD then you are exposed to exchange rate movements. The USD-GBP rate is moving against you, up to USD1.385 today, up several cents in recent weeks, and if the pound rises above USD1.464 then your USD91,500 would no longer be enough.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pulaski
If it's all held in USD then you are exposed to exchange rate movements. The USD-GBP rate is moving against you, up to USD1.385 today, up several cents in recent weeks, and if the pound rises above USD1.464 then your USD91,500 would no longer be enough.
Thank you. At the moment, we have enough? If later, the exchange rate causes is to be a couple hundred off, would our visa be denied? Are they very strict on that?
Old Jan 21st 2018, 12:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cca123
Thank you. At the moment, we have enough? If later, the exchange rate causes is to be a couple hundred off, would our visa be denied? Are they very strict on that?[
I'm afraid they are. But are the three retirement amounts you mention all just one off lump payments or is there an ongoing pension associated with some of them?:

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jan 21st 2018 at 1:34 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2018, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Invisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond reputeInvisible has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. At the moment, we have enough? If later, the exchange rate causes is to be a couple hundred off, would our visa be denied? Are they very strict on that?
Yes they have zero discretion for this.

I know someone who was denied because the account dropped £32 under the threshold briefly during the 6 months leading up to the application.

Last edited by Invisible; Jan 21st 2018 at 3:57 pm. Reason: tried to add copy of rejection letter
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm afraid they are. But are the three retirement amounts you mention all just one off lump payments or is there an ongoing pension associated with some of them?:
They're what's in the pensions account as of this month (I read we have to go by the amount 6months prior to application). Does this still work?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 2:00 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

They're what's in the pensions account as of this month (I read we have to go by the amount 6months prior to application). Does this still work?
So, they're not lump sum amounts, but rather what has been paid as pension to date and which you've been saving?

If so, they are enough to apply now and exchange rate fluctuations over the next 6 months would have to be highly dramatic to cancel out the ongoing payments further accumulating during that time.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 2:06 pm
Forum Regular

So, they're not lump sum amounts, but rather what has been paid as pension to date and which you've been saving?

If so, they are enough to apply now and exchange rate fluctuations over the next 6 months would have to be highly dramatic to cancel out the ongoing payments further accumulating during that time.
Yes its what we have now although 2months ago it was different due to us putting more in this month... If we applied now I thought it had to be in our possession for 6months prior to application? Or is it 6months prior to leaving?
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 2:19 pm
Born again atheist

Yes its what we have now although 2months ago it was different due to us putting more in this month... If we applied now I thought it had to be in our possession for 6months prior to application? Or is it 6months prior to leaving?
But you said in your first post that you intend to apply in August?

Some clarity would be helpful.
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:18 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

The pound was up another 1¢ this morning!
Old Jan 22nd 2018, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

But you said in your first post that you intend to apply in August?

Some clarity would be helpful.
Oh I thought you said it would be enough to apply now? I would love to. That would be the most idea situation but counting from jan onwards that leaves us to apply in August.... :/ Thus is correct right? J still having it in now doesn't mean we can apply now unless we have had that amount for 6months prior which we haven't.
Just want to make sure I'm correct on things...
Thanks!!
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:33 am
Born again atheist

Oh I thought you said it would be enough to apply now? I would love to. That would be the most idea situation but counting from jan onwards that leaves us to apply in August.... :/ Thus is correct right? J still having it in now doesn't mean we can apply now unless we have had that amount for 6months prior which we haven't.
Just want to make sure I'm correct on things...
Thanks!!
That's OK. I might have been short on clarity too. I said "enough to apply now" when I should have said "now enough to apply (in six months".
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 10:00 am
Born again atheist

The pound was up another 1¢ this morning!
If the OP wants to ensure that FX fluctuations won't be a worry, they could convert the savings to sterling right now and lock in the £65000 or so they have at the moment.
Old Jan 25th 2018, 12:40 pm

If the OP wants to ensure that FX fluctuations won't be a worry, they could convert the savings to sterling right now and lock in the £65000 or so they have at the moment.
Prescient advice indeed! On Tuesday the pound was up to $1.418, and after a small slip yesterday (Wednesday), it is up to $1.425 today. At the current rate of progress, within two weeks USD91,500 won't be enough to support a spouse visa application.