Dual Citizenship

Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:45 pm
Just Joined

Jorbu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dual Citizenship

Hello - I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'll ask again! I am British and have been living in the US on a green card for 8 years. I have read in a number of places that it is okay to have dual citizenship but before I apply for my passport I just wanted to check with those of you out there who have been in my same position -

Can you have both a UK and US passport and does this allow you to travel freely between both countries with no restraints on how long you stay in either country?

Also, I have two daughters, age 3 and 6, both born in the US. Can I just go ahead and apply for their British passports or is there any other procedure needed prior to doing this? And then the question is the same as above - are they free to come and go between both countries and reside in either?

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 7:51 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dual Citizenship

Originally Posted by Jorbu
Can you have both a UK and US passport and does this allow you to travel freely between both countries with no restraints on how long you stay in either country?
Yes.

...And then the question is the same as above - are they free to come and go between both countries and reside in either?
If your daughters are dual citizens, then yes.

Don't forget you must file a US tax return every year, reporting worldwide income, no matter where in the world you live.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Don't forget you must file a US tax return every year, reporting worldwide income, no matter where in the world you live.
USC's don't necessarily have to file a US tax return each year. Their worldwide income is *subject* to US income tax regardless of where they reside. However, whether they actually have to file a tax return or not depends on their financial situation.
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:25 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
USC's don't necessarily have to file a US tax return each year. Their worldwide income is *subject* to US income tax regardless of where they reside. However, whether they actually have to file a tax return or not depends on their financial situation.
True. I should have said they have to file a tax return if they meet the minimum income requirement set forth by IRS each year. If they have no income, or have income below IRS' guidelines, they don't need to file.

Rene
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hello - I'm sure this question has been asked before but I'll ask again! I am British and have been living in the US on a green card for 8 years. I have read in a number of places that it is okay to have dual citizenship but before I apply for my passport I just wanted to check with those of you out there who have been in my same position -

Yes - in fact I have 4 citizenships (UK, Ireland, Canada and US). My kids have the same 4 citizenships.

Also, I have two daughters, age 3 and 6, both born in the US. Can I just go ahead and apply for their British passports or is there any other procedure needed prior to doing this? And then the question is the same as above - are they free to come and go between both countries and reside in either?
If you are a UKC other than by descent (e.g. by birth or naturalization), then your daughters are likely UKC's by descent through you. They can apply for UK passports at any time. They will need a UKC parent's proof of UK citizenship other than by descent (e.g. a full UK birth cert) and their own US birth certs (that provide details of the parents).

Optionally, you can register their birth with the UK authorities - a process known as consular birth registration. This is not necessary but many posters here recommend it for UKC children born in the US. One of the issues it gets around is the suspicion that US birth certs issued more than 3 months after birth arouse in UK officials. This is because US birth records can be amended in cases of adoption - in which case the parents named on the US birth cert may not be the biological parents.

You can do consular birth registration without getting the certificate and then get a cheaper one from the GPO in the UK. However, the GPO certificate would only be available from the September in the year following the year of registration. So if you register in 2013, you could obtain a birth cert from the GPO in the UK from September 2014.

http://ukinusa.fco.gov.uk/en/help-fo...-registration/
Old Jan 31st 2013, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Jorbu is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your help and reassurance!
Old Jan 31st 2013, 11:51 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I have 3 citizenships: UK, Canada, and US. I have 3 passports... all valid.

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:07 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

but before I apply for my passport
I'd naturalize first if I were you.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fatbrit
I'd naturalize first if I were you.
Yeah I've found that that greases the wheels of the US passport application!
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:21 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Noorah101
True. I should have said they have to file a tax return if they meet the minimum income requirement set forth by IRS each year. If they have no income, or have income below IRS' guidelines, they don't need to file.

Rene
I also assume that if you are living in the UK most of the time (e.g. > 183 days per year) then you won't have to pay any tax to the IRS under the dual taxation rules?
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy
I also assume that if you are living in the UK most of the time (e.g. > 183 days per year) then you won't have to pay any tax to the IRS under the dual taxation rules?
Being required to file a US tax return, and being required to pay tax to the IRS are two different things. All USCs are required to file a US tax return if they earn over the required amount by IRS. But whether they have to pay tax totally depends on their financial situation.

Rene