Dewan's questions about birth of child abroad

Old Nov 7th 2017, 9:02 pm
Just Joined

Dewan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dewan's questions about birth of child abroad

Hi guys.

I have had a baby aboard and I am a British citizen and my wife had my baby in morrocco. I have looked around and seen that it's asking for a local birth certificate what does that mean? Is it a translation of the birth certificate And how do I register my child's birth with the british embassy? Help in serious need of help! Also do I have to apply for a visa for my Baby? Or register will the consular and then apply for a British passport?

Many thanks
Dewan
Old Nov 7th 2017, 9:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Birth of child aboard

Originally Posted by Dewan
Hi guys.

I have had a baby aboard and I am a British citizen and my wife had my baby in morrocco. I have looked around and seen that it's asking for a local birth certificate what does that mean? Is it a translation of the birth certificate And how do I register my child's birth with the british embassy? Help in serious need of help! Also do I have to apply for a visa for my Baby? Or register will the consular and then apply for a British passport?

Many thanks
Dewan
Hi, I'm going to move your questions in to a thread of your own - this is really just a chat thread and not the place to ask questions.

I'm sure help will be along shortly, best of luck.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 9:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dewan's questions about birth of child abroad

Were you born or naturalised in the United Kingdom?
Old Nov 7th 2017, 9:58 pm
Just Joined

I wasn't born here but my father was a British citizen. But what does local birth certificate mean? Do I have to register the baby in morrocco or get a morrocoan birth certificate translate it and then send it to British Embassy Rabat? I don't understand the procedure to register my child as a British citizen

Thank you
Old Nov 7th 2017, 10:59 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The local birth certificate means the birth certificate issued by the government in which the child is born.

If you are a British citizen by descent then your child is unlikely to be a British citizen. Was your father born or naturalised in the UK? If so where were you born?
Old Nov 7th 2017, 11:10 pm
Just Joined

Father was
naturalised and he got his citizenship then I was born aboard. Due to my father illness we couldn't travel. After that we came to u.k.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 11:46 pm

If your father naturalised before you were born and you were born outside the UK then you would only be a British citizen by descent. How many years did you spend living consecutively in the UK before your baby was born?
Old Nov 8th 2017, 5:46 am
Just Joined

Father was British before I was born and I have been living in the u.k. for 24 years.

Many thanks
Old Nov 8th 2017, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Dewan
Father was British before I was born and I have been living in the u.k. for 24 years.

Many thanks
Based on what you've said you'll need to register your child as a British citizen before they are eligible for a British passport. Is the plan for you to move as a family back to the UK?
Old Nov 10th 2017, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

alfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond reputealfista1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I believe you'll need to get your child's local birth certificate translated (certified) and take the documents along to the UK embassy. They will register your child there, and if you want produce a UK style birth certificate if he's entitled to citizenship.
All very expensive but worth it in the end. My child's records were eventually sent over to the birth records in the UK (took about 18 months) , now I can request a copy of his birth certificate from the UK online service for about £10 or whatever the going rate is now.
Old Nov 10th 2017, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by alfista1
Yes I believe you'll need to get your child's local birth certificate translated (certified) and take the documents along to the UK embassy. They will register your child there, and if you want produce a UK style birth certificate if he's entitled to citizenship.
All very expensive but worth it in the end. My child's records were eventually sent over to the birth records in the UK (took about 18 months) , now I can request a copy of his birth certificate from the UK online service for about £10 or whatever the going rate is now.
That's not an option for the OP as his child is not a British citizen.
Old Dec 7th 2017, 9:59 am
Just Joined

Hi everyone,
I hope somebody can help me please?

I am a British citizen by descent and my baby was born in morrocco and need to know what application to fill out and where? If you can tell me that would be great help.

Many thanks
Dewan