Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old May 6th 2014, 6:51 am
Just Joined

Boredofwaiting is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Dan, That's great to hear. Glad someone has had some positive news. We are now completely out of patience with the entire process, the complaints procedure seems to be as farcical as the application process. Just have no idea what else we can do. Really not happy at all.
Old May 6th 2014, 7:23 am
Just Joined

dan455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boredofwaiting
Hello All,

New to the forum and this has made for interesting reading. We sent our newborns passport off for renewal from SE Asia in Mid January and despite jumping through all of the hoops described above have still had no success, we get the same regurgitated responses when requesting progress updates from Liverpool (it seems that the people you can actually speak to are put there as a first line of defence and must trot out the party line)

I haven't seen it mentioned here but there is a formal complaints procedure on the passport office web page - I suspect if you were also to send a copy to whoever you consider to be your UK MP if you are still attached there it also might light a fire under someone...

We are in a country where the government are not always renowned for their tolerance of visa irregularities and our child is in effect here legally, not to mention that any serious medical condition normally warrants evacuation elsewhere.

The whole situation is shambolic - and while it is good to see that we are not alone in suffering the stress and frustration, I hope you all get what you need soon.

I am seriously considering highlighting this situation to the press as clearly there has been an almighty screw up somewhere along the line with the implementation of this system.
I just read this post, are you saying you sent your application for a first time passport for a child away in January and STILL haven't gotten it?
Old May 6th 2014, 7:35 am
Just Joined

Exactly that.

We are both British Passport holders -and proving a point about flexibility made earlier in the thread, our child was issued with an ETD (against common practice) to allow travel back to our host country from where they were born.

This in itself (with visa, shortly to expire) has been submitted as part of the application and yet still we are waiting. This is having a severely detrimental effect on our family life and is putting our childs health at risk, our legal status in our host country at imminent risk and therefore my employment as well. Needless to say this is not having a positive effect on our stress levels at present. All of this has been pointed out and still we get no response.
Old May 6th 2014, 7:52 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan455
I'm a British national, my wife is a Chinese national who just got a 10-year family visitor visa for UK.

Good news for me as of yesterday ( or so it seems.. )

After sending an email every day over the weekend asking for information, I received an email yesterday afternoon informing me they are ready to issue the passport for my daughter, and to reply with my phone number here in China as they need to give it to DHL to help them deliver it to me.

Why they asked me for my phone number I have no idea, since every email I've sent I've included my contact details, not to mention over the phone where they've promised 2 or 3 times already that someone will be calling me back 'in 2 or 3 days'... Anyway I replied with my phone number, no reply back... I'm hoping it's now on it's way.

Also, I included in the emails numerous times that I don't have an application reference number, and if possible could they email it to me, so at least when I call up they won't tell me they can't do anything, and in their reply in the subject line they included what looks to be my application number!

I think I'll call them later today or tomorrow and try to use the application number to see if it's actually sent or not. Fingers crossed!

Good luck!
Alright mate,

How much is that family visa thing for 10 years?

I'm still chasing up my application number.... bastards ain't giving me it.
Old May 6th 2014, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Alright mate,

I think it was around 800 quid... It allows her to travel to UK multiple times a year for a period of up to 6 months, with a maximum 6 months stay in UK total per year...

Before that we she had a spousal visa for UK for 4 years, but it just expired this year and we moved to China a while back so she couldn't get the spousal visa anymore after being out of UK for a while.
Old May 6th 2014, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

chaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nicechaoclive is just really nice

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Alright mate,

Visit visa – long up to 10 years = 737GBP.

Be careful...this doesn't mean you can stay in the UK for the whole 10 years. The most a visitor can legally stay in the UK on a visitors visa is 6 months in any 12 month period.
Old May 6th 2014, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chaoclive
Visit visa – long up to 10 years = 737GBP.

Be careful...this doesn't mean you can stay in the UK for the whole 10 years. The most a visitor can legally stay in the UK on a visitors visa is 6 months in any 12 month period.
Yep, exactly... We are in China for work but will travel back to UK with our children every so often, so the 10 year visa was best for us.
Old May 6th 2014, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

Muheza is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=dan455;11247775]I'm a British national, my wife is a Chinese national who just got a 10-year family visitor visa for UK.

Good news for me as of yesterday ( or so it seems.. )

After sending an email every day over the weekend asking for information, I received an email yesterday afternoon informing me they are ready to issue the passport for my daughter, and to reply with my phone number here in China as they need to give it to DHL to help them deliver it to me.

Why they asked me for my phone number I have no idea, since every email I've sent I've included my contact details, not to mention over the phone where they've promised 2 or 3 times already that someone will be calling me back 'in 2 or 3 days'... Anyway I replied with my phone number, no reply back... I'm hoping it's now on it's way.

Also, I included in the emails numerous times that I don't have an application reference number, and if possible could they email it to me, so at least when I call up they won't tell me they can't do anything, and in their reply in the subject line they included what looks to be my application number!

I think I'll call them later today or tomorrow and try to use the application number to see if it's actually sent or not. Fingers crossed!

Good luck![/QUOT

Hi dan,

Such a relief!
Were you or your countersignatory asked for any extra documents After you sent the application?
Old May 6th 2014, 7:49 pm
Forum Regular

Fair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really niceFair Lady is just really nice

I just received an email from the Customer services team letting me know that our passports are awaiting the examination process. I am waiting for three child renewals which were received on the 27th March, (6 weeks on Thursday). This is what they stated below;

Your application will take at least 4-6 weeks from when your declaration form is received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK. There is no upper limit on how long they can take and a passport can take considerably longer during periods of peak demand. Overseas applications cannot be sped up, if you need to travel urgently then you should apply for an Emergency Travel Document. Details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document.

So sorry for everyone else waiting also
Old May 7th 2014, 1:41 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fair Lady
I just received an email from the Customer services team letting me know that our passports are awaiting the examination process. I am waiting for three child renewals which were received on the 27th March, (6 weeks on Thursday). This is what they stated below;

Your application will take at least 4-6 weeks from when your declaration form is received by Her Majesty’s Passport Office in the UK. There is no upper limit on how long they can take and a passport can take considerably longer during periods of peak demand. Overseas applications cannot be sped up, if you need to travel urgently then you should apply for an Emergency Travel Document. Details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/emergency-travel-document.

So sorry for everyone else waiting also
but you cannot apply for 'emergency travel document' if you have no passport.... hence my son... doesn't have one and i need to fly by august!

At least you got an email! good luck!
Old May 7th 2014, 1:47 am
Just Joined

Englishman2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is a god!
Finally got an email from the durham passport team saying

'I can confirm that your daughter's passport has now been issued.
You will receive the new passport shortly.'

From the time they received my application it has taken 6 weeks and 2 day to get that email. Hopefully is gets here by next Friday as that's when my flight is booked for.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Applied from Colombia for newborn daughter
Payment taken 12th April
Documents received 24th April
Passport Issued 6th April
Just waiting delivery now
Old May 7th 2014, 1:57 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Englishman2014
Applied from Colombia for newborn daughter
Payment taken 12th April
Documents received 24th April
Passport Issued 6th April
Just waiting delivery now
Congrats!! I received my email saying they were READY to issue my daughters passport... not that it had been issued... but since they replied with my passport application number also, I decided to call them last night.

So this time the guy on the phone can find the application, but they basically only have two statuses on applications... 'processing' and 'printed'... and according to him my status was still 'processing' but I should take it as a very good sign since I received that email...

Not sure how much I trust them at the moment... I'll only be satisfied when I've got my daughters passport in my hands...

Also, according to him all we can do is 'wait'... How long I asked him, he told me the minimum time is 6 weeks ( im at 8 weeks now ) and that there is no maximum waiting time for overseas applications.... thanks, big help!

Also, I wasn't asked for any more information, neither was my counter signatory as far as I am aware..
Old May 7th 2014, 4:04 am
Just Joined

Great to see so many moving quickly - gives us hope.

My companies medical insurer is now being difficult about providing cover for our child because we cannot provide a copy of the passport. It just gets better and better....
Old May 7th 2014, 1:19 pm
Just Joined

I contacted my local MP back home and told him my situation and he got in contact with them and I had it issued the next day!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.