Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

Kenya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by Boredofwaiting
Has anyone approached their local embassy or consulate for assistance?

They will have a lot to sort out and organise if ETDs are required or if they are required to provide consular assistance to families who have been told that junior can't stay as he has no passport to put a visa in.

Perhaps they are not aware that it might be in their best interests to kick up a fuss as well?
Hi,

Yes, I've tried that too (by phone, by email and in person). They refuse to get involved. I made exactly the argument you are suggesting, that it will cause them a lot of trouble if we have visa issues, and also as there is a security issue in Kenya they would have to support us in getting some kind of document to leave the country if the situation continues to deteriorate. They are sympathetic but say that as a matter of policy they will not contact the Passport Office.

As you can see, I have been trying all channels on this issue and just not making any progress.

That being said, it may be worth a try for you - please let us know if you have any luck!

By the way - re: ETDs, they said they cannot issue one for a person who has never held a British passport, so they are not applicable for children waiting on first passport applications.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Did they say what would happen in the case of civil unrest or a medical emergency needing evacuation to a neighboring country - they are, after all, under an obligation to help all their citizens in such cases, not just those who are over 6 months old and thus have a passport!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
Did they say what would happen in the case of civil unrest or a medical emergency needing evacuation to a neighboring country - they are, after all, under an obligation to help all their citizens in such cases, not just those who are over 6 months old and thus have a passport!
No, they didn't. Hypothetical questions tend not to go down too well with civil servants in my experience!
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kenya
No, they didn't. Hypothetical questions tend not to go down too well with civil servants in my experience!
True - usually because depending on the circumstances they have various ways-and-means of making all kinds of things happen but don't want to admit to it as they can't use it daily. Let's hope the question remains hypothetical.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

movingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nicemovingbacktotheuksoon is just really nice

I sent my passport application off to the UK from Canada, printed off the required declaration form online and there is a barcode with a number at the top of the page.
Old May 1st 2014, 4:52 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movingbacktotheuksoon
I sent my passport application off to the UK from Canada, printed off the required declaration form online and there is a barcode with a number at the top of the page.
You did yours online

That's the new method...

We're talking about the old method print it off send it away... some countries still do this.

i.e no barcode.
Old May 1st 2014, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Boredofwaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

I am now at the stage where even the response to our formal complaint is delayed.... Currently resorting to as much sarcasm as I can shoehorn in to my one sided correspondence (?!? I don't know how else to describe it) not that it will move things along but it does make me feel better.
Old May 2nd 2014, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Muheza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi kenya,
Anyluck on the passport?
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Muheza
Hi kenya,
Anyluck on the passport?
Hi Muheza,

No, not yet. And you?
Old May 2nd 2014, 5:38 pm
Forum Regular

Muheza is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Muheza,

No, not yet. And you?
Nothing yet.. im supposed to travel this month hope i get asap
Old May 3rd 2014, 2:13 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Muheza
Nothing yet.. im supposed to travel this month hope i get asap
Get in line fella,

i plan to go back home this August/Sept..... taken my son home with his 'passport'

i know we're in May now... but i won't be surprised if he still hasn't got a passport by august...

Not holding my breath.
Old May 5th 2014, 5:49 am
Just Joined

dan455 is an unknown quantity at this point

Reading this thread is making me really worried. My daughter was born in January this year, sent away the application around mid-march, been waiting ever since... no luck calling as they ask for a reference number, which of course i dont have

im also planning to leave china in July, ive waited almost 8 weeks already but seeing that some people seem to have been waiting for 16 weeks... im not sure what to do... calling them is useless as all they will say is 'someone will call/email you' and they never do...

any advice on what I could do from here?? where would people in UK even go to find out information about it?
Old May 5th 2014, 11:35 am
Looking Around~

Originally Posted by dan455
Reading this thread is making me really worried. My daughter was born in January this year, sent away the application around mid-march, been waiting ever since... no luck calling as they ask for a reference number, which of course i dont have

im also planning to leave china in July, ive waited almost 8 weeks already but seeing that some people seem to have been waiting for 16 weeks... im not sure what to do... calling them is useless as all they will say is 'someone will call/email you' and they never do...

any advice on what I could do from here?? where would people in UK even go to find out information about it?
Only so much you can do fella, i'll be at '8 weeks' on the 24th of may... and what can i do? well F**U**K ALL to be honest... but i be sending a family member down there 'just to see whats going on'

As for ref number? well yes you are right! they don't have them as we 'print them off'

But they do attach a ref number to them... but how are we to know?

0_o

I'll be going home on august/sept and if i haven't got my sons passport by then i will go to embassy raise hell or just RAISE HELL at liverpool from one of my fmaily members...

17 weeks is like 5 months... one poor sod has been waiting that long AND IT DOESN'T TAKE THAT LONG IT SHOULDN'T

God damn Angry£^&*^&%$E

Good luck mate.
Old May 5th 2014, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

Boredofwaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Just out of interest, who here is in the situation where one parent is a British national or where both are? For the record we are both.
Old May 6th 2014, 6:38 am
Just Joined

dan455 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a British national, my wife is a Chinese national who just got a 10-year family visitor visa for UK.

Good news for me as of yesterday ( or so it seems.. )

After sending an email every day over the weekend asking for information, I received an email yesterday afternoon informing me they are ready to issue the passport for my daughter, and to reply with my phone number here in China as they need to give it to DHL to help them deliver it to me.

Why they asked me for my phone number I have no idea, since every email I've sent I've included my contact details, not to mention over the phone where they've promised 2 or 3 times already that someone will be calling me back 'in 2 or 3 days'... Anyway I replied with my phone number, no reply back... I'm hoping it's now on it's way.

Also, I included in the emails numerous times that I don't have an application reference number, and if possible could they email it to me, so at least when I call up they won't tell me they can't do anything, and in their reply in the subject line they included what looks to be my application number!

I think I'll call them later today or tomorrow and try to use the application number to see if it's actually sent or not. Fingers crossed!

Good luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.