Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by Razakhtar
Well...
-Websites says 6 weeks it has now been over 6 weeks
Golly !! Lots of frustration & venting going on (Which I do understand)

However, the UK gov site says AT LEAST 6 weeks. At least 6 weeks has been the standard for issuing passports for overseas applicants for a very long time (20+ years in my experience), even when applications were dealt with by one's closest "local" Consular service, & before all the additional security verifications which have become commonplace.

It's pretty recent that the UK repatriated passport services for overseas citizens, & so I'm not too surprised that there's a backlog building up.

Old timers like myself never even bothered to start looking out for signs of passports arriving *before* 6 weeks were up. Some of us wouldn't even have thought about chasing up the issuing authorities before 10 weeks ++ had gone by.

Of course, in an emergency situation, one could, & can, apply for emergency travel documents at one's nearest/local Embassy/Consulate.

(I realise my post may seem unsympathetic; it is not so intended. Only realistic.)

S
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:26 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Well, i would say ' illegal' for keeping your documents PERSONAL documents for more than 6 weeks or 8 weeks...

The propor documents where enclosed for my son so what is the problem?

Why the delay? never seen the BRITISH PASSPORT OFFICE delay soooo bad... i remember in 2011 they caused an uproar with USA applications.

Now in 2013/14 it seems they're doing it again but this time... 'WORLD APPLICATIONS'
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

Razakhtar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Shirtback

However, the UK gov site says AT LEAST 6 weeks. At least 6 weeks has been the standard for issuing passports for overseas applicants for a very long time (20+ years in my experience), even when applications were dealt with by one's closest "local" Consular service, & before all the additional security verifications which have become commonplace.

It's pretty recent that the UK repatriated passport services for overseas citizens, & so I'm not too surprised that there's a backlog building up.

Old timers like myself never even bothered to start looking out for signs of passports arriving *before* 6 weeks were up. Some of us wouldn't even have thought about chasing up the issuing authorities before 10 weeks ++ had gone by.

Of course, in an emergency situation, one could, & can, apply for emergency travel documents at one's nearest/local Embassy/Consulate.

(I realise my post may seem unsympathetic; it is not so intended. Only realistic.)

S
Fair points, but my issue isn't just with the time scale it's with the staff of the the passport office not answering my questions, not being educated about OS applications and straight up lying.
My issues are with a OS application guidance document that says I can check the progress of my application after 4 weeks, and then being told I can't.
My issue is with there being NO mention of a reference number on any documentation but then being told I need a reference number to find out the progress of my application EVERY time I call.
My issue is being told by the passport office I need to send ID for my wife and me sending her passport in good faith only to now realise it was a big mistake.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 4:54 am
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Razakhtar
Fair points, but my issue isn't just with the time scale it's with the staff of the the passport office not answering my questions, not being educated about OS applications and straight up lying.
My issues are with a OS application guidance document that says I can check the progress of my application after 4 weeks, and then being told I can't.
My issue is with there being NO mention of a reference number on any documentation but then being told I need a reference number to find out the progress of my application EVERY time I call.
My issue is being told by the passport office I need to send ID for my wife and me sending her passport in good faith only to now realise it was a big mistake.
True that,

There isn't a reference number at all for 'OS' but they do add one to it once they get it.. but how are we to know what our reference number is?

Same here man, they lied to me and you there staff are untrained at all in OS applications it p|sses me right off and they're lucky i am not in the UK... but i do have my family on stand by 24th of may they're heading down there with details about my application and they will call me while they are there (because i know they won't tell them anything) unless i confirm it.. i think...

Pathetic and fuming about it. what can a man do? 'wait and hope' ? NO WAY IN HELL it should take more than 8 weeks max to print of a little ruby/red book if all details are correct and they do there god damn job correctly...

Angry!~@:£$%^$£
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Has payment been taken? If the answer is yes then they have your application. Beyond that there's little point stressing out about it. You don't need to send any original passports - the guidance says that albeit in the small print - so that's frustrating but a rookie mistake on your part. It will be done when they get to it.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 7:41 am
Just Joined

Kenya is an unknown quantity at this point

S
I agree with your overall point that the guidance provided is on minimum times and we should not be surprised if it takes longer (although in my case it is now 17 weeks which I find a bit ridiculous).

One point though: Emergency Travel Documents cannot be issued if the applicant has never had a British Passport. As this thread relates to first passport applications, the applicants concerned cannot get Emergency Travel Documents, hence why it is particularly frustrating.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:05 am
Looking Around~

17 Weeks? damn... it's going up and up, im sure you're the one who said 15 weeks now its 17....

You tried sending a family member down to the office? talk to the manager or ???
Old Apr 30th 2014, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Vexcore
17 Weeks? damn... it's going up and up, im sure you're the one who said 15 weeks now its 17....

You tried sending a family member down to the office? talk to the manager or ???
It's going up because time continues to pass...

No, I am not going to send a family member to the office.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

Muheza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You may want to consider registering the birth at the High Commission in Nairobi to avoid any similar delays or problems in the future.
Hi kenya,

What email address did you use to write to them to get your documents back? Did you ask for them after the 12th week or before?
Im trying to do the same but i was told they can do that after the 12th week. Just wondering if i wrote to the right department.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 10:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Muheza
Hi kenya,

What email address did you use to write to them to get your documents back? Did you ask for them after the 12th week or before?
Im trying to do the same but i was told they can do that after the 12th week. Just wondering if i wrote to the right department.
Hi Muheza,

I actually did it by phone in the end, but try this email address as they are responsive and much more sensible than the phone line: [email protected]

I did it after the 12 weeks but they said it just depends on where it is in the process, so I think it is worth asking prior to the 12 weeks.

Good luck.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Muheza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kenya
Hi Muheza,

I actually did it by phone in the end, but try this email address as they are responsive and much more sensible than the phone line: [email protected]

I did it after the 12 weeks but they said it just depends on where it is in the process, so I think it is worth asking prior to the 12 weeks.

Good luck.
Thanks kenya

Did you send your application to Durham?

Can you please pm me the number you called on. Thanks
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:23 am
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

S
Your points are valid. However, 9wks for a replacement passport? The most I've ever waited was 4 wks. My last renewal via Paris took less than 3 wks. As to security checks, why is mine any different to someone I know who opted for an emergency passport, flew to the UK and had a replacement passort in 3 days? And payment is taken as soon as you press 'send'. Should you then need an emergency passport, your application is blocked and the cost lost. No, I didn't start chasing my passport until after the 6 weeks, but I just wasted time and money. You do not get an answer.

The site is unclear and confusing. For example: I had to wade through pages and pages to figure that a copy of a non-UK signee's passport must be included and no where does it say that if you send a LLSO form via a Consulate you should include a copy. I also cannot understand why they cannot alter the 'at least six weeks' notice.

Muheza, I'll pm the numbers.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:45 am
Just Joined

Englishman2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Send me the number for durham to plz mate
Old Apr 30th 2014, 11:55 am
Just Joined

Boredofwaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Has anyone approached their local embassy or consulate for assistance?

They will have a lot to sort out and organise if ETDs are required or if they are required to provide consular assistance to families who have been told that junior can't stay as he has no passport to put a visa in.

Perhaps they are not aware that it might be in their best interests to kick up a fuss as well?
Old Apr 30th 2014, 12:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The FCO has washed their hands of passports. They won't be interested. From experience the only way to make the Civil Service jump is a Parliamentaey complaint letter so get onto your MPs.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.