Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old Apr 26th 2014, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

Razakhtar is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by BritInParis
The GRO will post overseas.

WARNING TO THOSE IN CHINA - NEVER EVER trust the GRO to send documents to China.

No matter what service you choose they will only track your documents in the UK.
Once they leave the UK they are unable to track them and often use cheap mail services to deliver your documents.

I have had 4 birth certificates go missing.

It is better to arrange your documents to be sent to someone you know in the UK and then use DHL door to door service
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:01 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Razakhtar
Hi everyone!

I AM IN EXACTLY the same situation as everyone here, especially Vexcore.

I sent my passport application for my new born son about 6 weeks ago from Beijing.

The procedure was
print the form - send to Liverpool office along with important documents...and then pray everything goes smoothly

Annoyingly this has now CHANGED to the old system of giving your application to the embassy.

The level of incompetence from the Passport helpline is beyond belief

1) They fail to understand there is NO reference number for OS passport applications
2) They promise they will send emails which are all lies.

I have called them countless times to at least confirm my application was received and if they have my wifes passport which I foolishly sent.
But they can't even do that, they have taken the money and that's all I know.

The 6 weeks deadline is 1st of May after this time I will raise hell.

In the OS application guidance notes it CLEARLY states that you can check the progress of your application 4 weeks after submitting the form.
Why these clowns keep telling me to wait for 6 weeks is again beyond me.

Like Vexcore, my son's passport is needed in order to obtain an exit visa. Without the passport he cannot leave china and neither can my wife.
These useless office staff fail to understand this!

so here is my advice if the system for applying changes back to what I had to go through...

1) DON'T SEND ANY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS - send coloured photocopies and explain in a letter why you have done this.
2) don't expect any correspondence from the passport office
3) if the passport office say they'll call you back...THEY WON'T
4) keep faith and wait it out...

I've heard every excuse from these clowns but after 6 weeks there are no more excuses...RAISE HELL and don't let up.
GOOD LUCK to everyone
If you've only sent colour photocopies of the birth certificates then you won't be getting the passport any time soon. Only original documents will be accepted.

WARNING TO THOSE IN CHINA - NEVER EVER trust the GRO to send documents to China.

No matter what service you choose they will only track your documents in the UK.
Once they leave the UK they are unable to track them and often use cheap mail services to deliver your documents.

I have had 4 birth certificates go missing.

It is better to arrange your documents to be sent to someone you know in the UK and then use DHL door to door service
You can opt to have the GRO post it to you in China by Royal Mail International Signed For which is a registered postal service but doesn't offer end-to-end tracking. Given the sketchy nature of the Chinese postal service your suggestion is a good idea. This would also apply to similar countries with suspect postal services like the Gulf States.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

I sent my original birth certificate, original baby birth certificate but coloured photocopy of my passport.

It was actually advised by the british embassy in beijing to send coloured photocopies if I was worried about the documents being lost.

When I rang the passport office support lines they said this was also ok provided you send a letter explaining why you have done so.

In the end I opted to send originals as I trailed DHL and was impressed with their service, shame the passport office are useless
Old Apr 26th 2014, 1:04 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Hi everyone!

I AM IN EXACTLY the same situation as everyone here, especially Vexcore.

I sent my passport application for my new born son about 6 weeks ago from Beijing.

The procedure was
print the form - send to Liverpool office along with important documents...and then pray everything goes smoothly

Annoyingly this has now CHANGED to the old system of giving your application to the embassy.

The level of incompetence from the Passport helpline is beyond belief

1) They fail to understand there is NO reference number for OS passport applications
2) They promise they will send emails which are all lies.

I have called them countless times to at least confirm my application was received and if they have my wifes passport which I foolishly sent.
But they can't even do that, they have taken the money and that's all I know.

The 6 weeks deadline is 1st of May after this time I will raise hell.

In the OS application guidance notes it CLEARLY states that you can check the progress of your application 4 weeks after submitting the form.
Why these clowns keep telling me to wait for 6 weeks is again beyond me.

Like Vexcore, my son's passport is needed in order to obtain an exit visa. Without the passport he cannot leave china and neither can my wife.
These useless office staff fail to understand this!

so here is my advice if the system for applying changes back to what I had to go through...

1) DON'T SEND ANY ORIGINAL DOCUMENTS - send coloured photocopies and explain in a letter why you have done this.
2) don't expect any correspondence from the passport office
3) if the passport office say they'll call you back...THEY WON'T
4) keep faith and wait it out...

I've heard every excuse from these clowns but after 6 weeks there are no more excuses...RAISE HELL and don't let up.
GOOD LUCK to everyone
Feel for you mate.... by the way! don't worry about ya wifes passport - she can easily apply for another one (so no loss there) but i am baffled why did you send your wifes passport with the application? it isn't needed dude... as your little one can only CLAIM british citizen from you.

but hey, you live and learn!

May 15th i'm at 6 weeks May 24th im at 8 weeks and that is the final straw from me... i CANNOT GO HOME unless they give me my sons passport!

Give them hell dude Raise it to the highest you can!

I sent my original birth certificate, original baby birth certificate but coloured photocopy of my passport.

It was actually advised by the British embassy in beijing to send coloured photocopies if I was worried about the documents being lost.

When I rang the passport office support lines they said this was also ok provided you send a letter explaining why you have done so.

In the end I opted to send originals as I trailed DHL and was impressed with their service, shame the passport office are useless
You don't need to send them your birth certificate (if he has a consular birth certificate you know) it states that on the website. as for photo copies? they told me doesn't matter color or black or white.... lol

Seems you and me got told different stories m8, British embassy told me doesn't matter color or black or white...... they're fking useless

Only thing that has not let me down is ''DHL' amazing service!!! i sould buy them a pint.

---
------
-----------

- Seriously though, let me know if you get the passport in the end!
Cheers

Last edited by Vexcore; Apr 26th 2014 at 1:09 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2014, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Feel for you mate.... by the way! don't worry about ya wifes passport - she can easily apply for another one (so no loss there) but i am baffled why did you send your wifes passport with the application? it isn't needed dude... as your little one can only CLAIM british citizen from you.

but hey, you live and learn!

May 15th i'm at 6 weeks May 24th im at 8 weeks and that is the final straw from me... i CANNOT GO HOME unless they give me my sons passport!

Give them hell dude Raise it to the highest you can!

You don't need to send them your birth certificate (if he has a consular birth certificate you know) it states that on the website. as for photo copies? they told me doesn't matter color or black or white.... lol

Seems you and me got told different stories m8, British embassy told me doesn't matter color or black or white...... they're fking useless

Only thing that has not let me down is ''DHL' amazing service!!! i sould buy them a pint.

---
------
-----------

- Seriously though, let me know if you get the passport in the end!
Cheers
That is annoying on many levels, the passport office said I should send my wife's birth certificate or other form of ID. As she doesn't have a birth certificate there was no way I could send her ID card In they end they said a passport would be be better....I cannot believe I sent it, really regret it.

As for the birth certificate, I was told by the embassy I needed to send my original birth certificate...the amount of hassle I went through to eventually get it....you're right mate, was told different to you, further proof they are absolutely clueless...

One day I'll look back and laugh at all the times I was asked for a reference number by incompetent office staff...but for now I'll continue to rage!

Let me know how it goes! May 1st I'm at 6 weeks so I'll keep you posted
Old Apr 26th 2014, 5:56 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

That is annoying on many levels, the passport office said I should send my wife's birth certificate or other form of ID. As she doesn't have a birth certificate there was no way I could send her ID card In they end they said a passport would be be better....I cannot believe I sent it, really regret it.

As for the birth certificate, I was told by the embassy I needed to send my original birth certificate...the amount of hassle I went through to eventually get it....you're right mate, was told different to you, further proof they are absolutely clueless...

One day I'll look back and laugh at all the times I was asked for a reference number by incompetent office staff...but for now I'll continue to rage!

Let me know how it goes! May 1st I'm at 6 weeks so I'll keep you posted
Indeed i will mate, i plan to make a new THREAD (IF I GET THE PASSPORT)....

you too mate, let me know how its going and what your going to do, i plan to send some family members down there.

by the way did you see the persons name who signed for your DHL package? it would be handy if you got there name.

My DHL tracking was sent to liverpool office and they signed for it, DHL website showed me the signature/name of the person.

which is handy..

Don't worry man, you'll get it in the end! they're just taken the 'piss'
Old Apr 28th 2014, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Muheza is an unknown quantity at this point

Almost 11 weeks now.. hope i receive the passport by 12th week as per their information on the website for kenya.

Has anyone of you tried to get your (applicants parents) passports back without a reference number? If anyone did can you please guide as to how to go about it. Its become so difficult to track or get documents back without a reference number.

you too mate, let me know how its going and what your going to do, i plan to send some family members down there.

by the way did you see the persons name who signed for your DHL package? it would be handy if you got there name.

My DHL tracking was sent to liverpool office and they signed for it, DHL website showed me the signature/name of the person.

which is handy..

Old Apr 29th 2014, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Boredofwaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

New to the forum and this has made for interesting reading. We sent our newborns passport off for renewal from SE Asia in Mid January and despite jumping through all of the hoops described above have still had no success, we get the same regurgitated responses when requesting progress updates from Liverpool (it seems that the people you can actually speak to are put there as a first line of defence and must trot out the party line)

I haven't seen it mentioned here but there is a formal complaints procedure on the passport office web page - I suspect if you were also to send a copy to whoever you consider to be your UK MP if you are still attached there it also might light a fire under someone...

We are in a country where the government are not always renowned for their tolerance of visa irregularities and our child is in effect here legally, not to mention that any serious medical condition normally warrants evacuation elsewhere.

The whole situation is shambolic - and while it is good to see that we are not alone in suffering the stress and frustration, I hope you all get what you need soon.

I am seriously considering highlighting this situation to the press as clearly there has been an almighty screw up somewhere along the line with the implementation of this system.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Boredofwaiting is an unknown quantity at this point

*Renewal... I mean sent off application for first passport, duh!
Old Apr 29th 2014, 1:46 pm
Just Joined

Kenya is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Boredofwaiting
Hello All,

New to the forum and this has made for interesting reading. We sent our newborns passport off for renewal from SE Asia in Mid January and despite jumping through all of the hoops described above have still had no success, we get the same regurgitated responses when requesting progress updates from Liverpool (it seems that the people you can actually speak to are put there as a first line of defence and must trot out the party line)

I haven't seen it mentioned here but there is a formal complaints procedure on the passport office web page - I suspect if you were also to send a copy to whoever you consider to be your UK MP if you are still attached there it also might light a fire under someone...

We are in a country where the government are not always renowned for their tolerance of visa irregularities and our child is in effect here legally, not to mention that any serious medical condition normally warrants evacuation elsewhere.

The whole situation is shambolic - and while it is good to see that we are not alone in suffering the stress and frustration, I hope you all get what you need soon.

I am seriously considering highlighting this situation to the press as clearly there has been an almighty screw up somewhere along the line with the implementation of this system.
Hi,

I have followed the formal complaint procedure. I contacted the Newport office and I also got two MPs, for the two constituencies where my family live in the UK, to contact the Passport Office. In all cases I was told that the standard procedure is being followed and nothing can be done to expedite it. I have now filed a Freedom of Information request to understand the minimum, maximum and average processing times for first passport applications from Kenya, the country I have applied from, as well as the proportion of passport applications that are rejected, in order to verify their claim that the long delays are due to a high incidence of fraud.

My son is also without a visa here as they cannot issue him a visa unless he has a passport. It is very frustrating.

Best of luck with yours, I hope the wait isn't too much longer.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

which is handy..

Yeah I have the proof from DHL it was delivered, also payment was taken and the payment form with my bank details was with the application.
I called on Saturday and was told that the progress team would be messaged to email me my reference number...so far no response, surprise surprise.
Old Apr 29th 2014, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boredofwaiting
Hello All,

This is what bugs me, the passport office have no realisation that their abysmal work ethic means we are effectively stuck. I have family in England waiting to meet my son, but the wait keeps getting longer.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:27 am
Looking Around~

This is what bugs me, the passport office have no realisation that their abysmal work ethic means we are effectively stuck. I have family in England waiting to meet my son, but the wait keeps getting longer.
Same boat as you mate, and we all have our limits... no passport should taker longer than 6 or 8 weeks MAX

The other guy is coming up to 11 weeks... im sure this is ILLEGAL? or something?

Do they know what they're doing? i need to get home by august/sept if i haven't got my sons passport then oh sweet Jesus let there be rivers of blood..

Makes my blood boil !"£$%^&
Old Apr 30th 2014, 1:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Frustrating and annoying, yes. Not sure how you arrived at illegal though? I had to get a replacement Canadian Citizenship Certificate due to a change of name, it took over 5 months, because government pen pushing departments are rarely quick.
Old Apr 30th 2014, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dashie
Frustrating and annoying, yes. Not sure how you arrived at illegal though? I had to get a replacement Canadian Citizenship Certificate due to a change of name, it took over 5 months, because government pen pushing departments are rarely quick.

Well...
-Websites says 6 weeks it has now been over 6 weeks
-They have my wife's passport and other sensitive information that is not replaceable
- nobody in office confirms they have my documents
- nobody is willing to help me
- 2 calls I should get telling me what is happening, I never get
- I was told the email that was supposed to be sent to progress team to tell me what is going on wasn't even sent!
- OS guidelines issued by the government clearly states I am entitled to found out the progress after 4 weeks, everyone I the office acts like this isn't true

So illegal maybe not...but this office are holding my personal documents, refusing to tell me what is happening and are lying to me when is ask them for things I am entitled to. They are breaching their own government guidelines and at the end of the day I have paid for a service, I have every right to demand answers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.