Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Old May 12th 2014, 9:33 am
Just Joined

Kenya is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Delays in first passport for child born overseas

Originally Posted by englishguygoinghome
You can almost certainly get your reference number by submitting a Subject Access Request (https://www.gov.uk/government/public...nd-immigration).

The process takes about 40 days and costs a tenner.

If everyone who got stuck wihtout a reference number did this then it would probably end up p...ing them off so much that they changed the process! It might not help you - let's hope you're not still waiting in 40 days - but if you are still waiting I'm guessing you'll be glad you did it and you'll be helping those who follow you through this mess
Hi EnglishGuy,

Thanks for sharing this. I had never heard of this process. Do you have experience with it? Can it only be used for basic info, like a reference number, or can you also request more substantive information? E.g. In my case, I want to know what specific information they are waiting for in order to complete the security checks. Do you think this could be covered by a subject access request?
Old May 12th 2014, 9:36 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

I've never used it but I know it can be used for very substantial information - I found out about it on the blog "Transplant Monologues" where a US citizen used it to get the reason that her spouse visa was delayed. It's worth having a read of her posts about the process if you want more than just a ref number
Old May 12th 2014, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Kenya is an unknown quantity at this point

I've never used it but I know it can be used for very substantial information - I found out about it on the blog "Transplant Monologues" where a US citizen used it to get the reason that her spouse visa was delayed. It's worth having a read of her posts about the process if you want more than just a ref number
Thanks! I looked at the blog and it seems she managed to get a lot of information. I am going to submit a request, will let you know how it goes.
Old May 12th 2014, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Well seems the rules have changed again if you are applying for childs first passport from China.
Now all applications must be made in person at one of the visa application centers. This includes childrens first passports. Before was only for adult.

.GOV page updated 7th May

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passport...ng/child/china
Old May 12th 2014, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

englishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond reputeenglishguygoinghome has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johno5175
Well seems the rules have changed again if you are applying for childs first passport from China.
Now all applications must be made in person at one of the visa application centers. This includes childrens first passports. Before was only for adult.

Sounds like a rather perverse game of "chase the goalposts". Anybody cynical enough to think it may be deliberate to try and make it impossible for a few handfuls of expat families to return to the UK and/or delay their return past the end of the year - thus reducing the net-migration numbers for 2014?
Old May 12th 2014, 12:00 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johno5175

Pathetic.... lets hope it doesn't effect you and me?

Well they took your payment and mine (we should be ok)

Im not flying to beijing back n forth no way (unless the uk gov wanna pay for my flights)
Old May 12th 2014, 12:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like a rather perverse game of "chase the goalposts". Anybody cynical enough to think it may be deliberate to try and make it impossible for a few handfuls of expat families to return to the UK and/or delay their return past the end of the year - thus reducing the net-migration numbers for 2014?
To be quite honest, I do indeed wonder why the UK makes it so difficult for its own citizens to return (i.e. lengthy passport process) while at the same time letting in many thousands of foreigners to reside in our country!
Old May 12th 2014, 12:10 pm
Looking Around~

Vexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond reputeVexcore has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
To be quite honest, I do indeed wonder why the UK makes it so difficult for its own citizens to return (i.e. lengthy passport process) while at the same time letting in many thousands of foreigners to reside in our country!
Remember

If your British! we will make it difficult for you to return!!

If your a foreigner?! Welcome to THE UNITED KINGDOM! HAVE MONEY HAVE A FLAT AND DON'T WORK!

Camerons Britain..... that guy...

oh the irony...
Old May 12th 2014, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

johno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant futurejohno5175 has a brilliant future

Rather than clog up the thread with super duper quotes i will just say it here

It seems the changes are to fast track the security clearances on the Chinese side. No point in sending off all the stuff to the uk for them to then contact the reps in China to start looking into birth certificates etc. Seems better to let them check all that crap here before they forward it to the UK.

although peeps like Vexcore who did all this before the latest changes wont be affected as they are under the old "post it yourself rule". At least now you go in person, drop off the docs, have them checked then they forward them and have them returned to the visa center for pick up by yourself. no China Post losing them.

If anyone is about to apply for the bb's passports i suggest periodically checking the GOV website and keep checking. The rules have changed on 24th then 29th April, Then again on 7th May. Obviously teething problems so best keep your underpants crisp guys!

Seems like a good thing i think but you never know. I still have not sent off mine yet as waiting on BC from UK to arrive from GRO. Think its better i did wait it out a bit.
Feel sorry for e1 though going through this farce.
Old May 12th 2014, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Vexcore
Pathetic.... lets hope it doesn't effect you and me?

Well they took your payment and mine (we should be ok)

Im not flying to beijing back n forth no way (unless the uk gov wanna pay for my flights)
Nah you will be fine mate.... Only affects applications after May 7th

Old May 12th 2014, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Englishman2014 is an unknown quantity at this point

Finally have my daughters passport in my hand were so happy after many a stressful few weeks. Just like to give you all my best wishes and good luck with your applications it's been good to talk to people in the same position as myself.

Application from Colombia
Application received by Passport office 24th March
Passport Delivered 12th May

Good luck guys
Old May 13th 2014, 2:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Englishman2014
Finally have my daughters passport in my hand were so happy after many a stressful few weeks. Just like to give you all my best wishes and good luck with your applications it's been good to talk to people in the same position as myself.

Application from Colombia
Application received by Passport office 24th March
Passport Delivered 12th May

Good luck guys
Old May 13th 2014, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Muheza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dan455
Well, I knew I shouldn't get my hopes up. The email a few days ago asked me for my phone number, saying my passport was ready to be issued.

This morning I received another email ( a reply to a different inquiry I had sent, I've lost track of how many emails have been sent regarding my application now... )

Basically it said 'I can confirm your application was received on....' ok great thanks for this, I know that already since I delivered by DHL and they informed me when it arrived...

Next, 'the application is showing as 'in examination', which means an examiner will be looking at it over the next few days'

No idea what to think now. Calling them just gets the same reply every time... 'your application status is 'in examination'' 'OK but what does this mean exactly, I received an email saying they were ready to issue my passport' 'well we don't exactly know because its a different office but i'd take that as a good sign....'

Whats the point of sending all OS applications to a central office where they don't have contact with anyone who has actually handled the application? Now I'm not sure if someone has worked on my application, which from the first email sounds like they have and it should be issued, but the second email says they'll be examining it in the next few days?

What a mess...
Hi,

Have you received the passport? Or still waiting?
Old May 13th 2014, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Muheza is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Razakhtar
Update
So I finally got a call back from the progress team.
Couldn't believe it when the lady on the phone asked for reference number!!!

After explaining to her why I didn't have one she was eventually able to locate my application and said it was being processed and near completion.

She couldn't give me reference number or tell me how much longer to wait.

She they would email once the next stage of progress begins.

Personally I think it's a load of bs, I'm at 8 weeks now.

What frustrates me is they couldn't give me a reference number which I means I have to go through the same crap to get a progress update.
Hi,
Any update again?
Old May 13th 2014, 1:47 pm
Looking Around~

I don't think they have fella,

what about you Muheza any contact/email at all? anything!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.