Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Daughter has moved back to UK is dual citizenship and her daughter. Now visa??

Daughter has moved back to UK is dual citizenship and her daughter. Now visa??

Old Sep 28th 2017, 6:49 am
Just Joined

BritAmer1999 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Daughter has moved back to UK is dual citizenship and her daughter. Now visa??

My daughter who is a British Citizen (naturalised) just recently moved back to UK with her 5 year old daughter. My daughter is attending University in Belfast, her daughter is attending elementary school. Registered with Doctor but now NHS say they need visas? I can understand paperwork for her daughter but not my daughter who is a citizen. She took out a loan to go to university there to do her masters. Is living in my home in N.Ireland, therefore needs no place to live. I live in the USA and I have dual citizenship but go back there every year for 3 months. What has she got to do to get right. We thought everything was good but she has been there 6 weeks and settling in. Paying her own way with a loan. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Old Sep 28th 2017, 7:55 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter has moved back to UK is dual citizenship and her daughter. Now visa??

Which passport(s) did they travel to the UK on?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 11:39 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daughter has moved back to UK is dual citizenship and her daughter. Now visa??

Originally Posted by BritAmer1999
My daughter who is a British Citizen (naturalised) just recently moved back to UK with her 5 year old daughter. My daughter is attending University in Belfast, her daughter is attending elementary school. Registered with Doctor but now NHS say they need visas? I can understand paperwork for her daughter but not my daughter who is a citizen. She took out a loan to go to university there to do her masters. Is living in my home in N.Ireland, therefore needs no place to live. I live in the USA and I have dual citizenship but go back there every year for 3 months. What has she got to do to get right. We thought everything was good but she has been there 6 weeks and settling in. Paying her own way with a loan. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you
Presumably your daughter has an UK passport, UK naturalisation certificate. As BIP posted...did she enter the UK using a UK passport? If not she entered as a visitor...not a UK citizen.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Sep 28th 2017 at 11:41 am.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Yes, my daughter used her British Passport when she entered the UK. I brought her daughter over a few days later and used my granddaughter's American passport. We couldn't all travel together. My daughter arrived at Belfast, we arrived at Dublin.
Thank you for your reply.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

My Granddaughter is an American citizen.
Old Sep 28th 2017, 12:50 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

..... I brought her daughter over a few days later and used my granddaughter's American passport. .....
There's the problem!
My Granddaughter is an American citizen.
Is she also a British citizen?
Old Sep 28th 2017, 1:32 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

When and how did your daughter become a British citizen?
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

poida is an unknown quantity at this point

My daughter arrived at Belfast, we arrived at Dublin.
Thank you for your reply.
Did you cross over into NI by road? I assume then that the UK authorities are unaware of your granddaughter being in the UK?
Old Sep 30th 2017, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

By the sounds of it the NHS is quite correct - your granddaughter needs a visa to live in the UK as she is an American citizen and not a UK one.

You granddaughter is in the UK as a visitor and therefore not eligible to use the NHS.

Was your daughter a UK citizen prior to her having her child? If not, then getting your granddaughter UK citizenship may be be more difficult.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
By the sounds of it the NHS is quite correct - your granddaughter needs a visa to live in the UK as she is an American citizen and not a UK one.

You granddaughter is in the UK as a visitor and therefore not eligible to use the NHS.

Was your daughter a UK citizen prior to her having her child? ......
That's a good question, but I believe the balance of probibilities is that the daughter was born after her mother acquired British citizenship by naturalization, and therefore the (grand)daughter is a British citizen, and the issue is that she entered on a US passport. .... But until we know if the daughter was born after her mother became British, or even if the (grand)daughter's father was British other than by descent, then we're all guessing.
Originally Posted by poida
Did you cross over into NI by road? I assume then that the UK authorities are unaware of your granddaughter being in the UK?
As part of the UK-Ireland common travel area, don't British and Irish immigration control share data?

Last edited by Pulaski; Sep 30th 2017 at 6:13 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Not clear whether daughter has "moved back" merely to attend university in the UK or to become habitually resident. If the former, wouldn't there also be a question of her eligibility for NHS services?
Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:09 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There's the problem!

No she is not a British citizen.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:14 pm

No she is not a British citizen.
So does she have any visa entitling her to live in the UK with her mother?
Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
There's the problem!

No grandaughter is not a uk citizen. Daughter was naturalised when she was 17 years old. Daughter had child when she was 23. Daughter says she wants to permanently live in N. Ireland where there is family.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 7:19 pm

No grandaughter is not a uk citizen. Daughter was naturalised when she was 17 years old. Daughter had child when she was 23. Daughter says she wants to permanently live in N. Ireland where there is family.
So unless I am missing something, the (grand)daughter is a British citizen, because the granddaughter was born after her mother naturalized, and naturalized British citizens do, automatically pass on British citizenship to their children no matter where the birth occurred in the world.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.