Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

Old Nov 4th 2017, 1:04 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

Hi guys,
Think I have this process straight in my head but can I run it past those of you with more UK knowledge than me, please shout if you see any errors/omissions!

Canadian citizen awaiting divorce (in Canada) - does the divorce have to be final before applying for a UK Fiance Visa?

Fill in forms for UK Fiance Visa, submit with relevant evidence, fee and passport - am I right that the passport is not returned until the decision is made? So the applicant cannot visit the Uk in the meantime as a tourist?

Evidence - do official documents like Birth certs and divorce certs need to be original or should they be certified copies?
IHS Uk fee - is this payable on Fiance Visa as well as Spouse Visa?

Biometrics would be done in Canada after application, plus any interview considered necessary?

Visa (hopefully) granted in approx 12 weeks, applicant travels to UK, marries within 6 months. Once married they cannot leave the UK again until the Spouse Visa has been applied for and granted as the Fiance Visa is no longer in effect?

Spouse Visa applied for after marriage - how long do they have to submit it? - forms, evidence, fees, IHS fee, passport submitted.

Spouse Visa granted in approx 12 weeks. Applicant can't work at all until its granted?

Thanks in advance!!
Old Nov 4th 2017, 4:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

1 Yes, your divorce has to be final before you apply for fiance visa as proof of divorce has to be presented as part of documentation.

2.Your passport is retained until such time as decision is made. Sponsor can visit you.

3. Official docs do not have to be notarised/certified

4. You do not pay NHS surcharge for fiance visa, but you do at time for applying for spouse visa and the also for second 2.5 year visa.

5. Biometrics would be done in Canada

6. After marriage, fiance visa is no longer valid, so leaving and entering UK would be difficult. Best to wait until spouse visa is obtained

7.Can apply for spouse visa immediately after marriage

8. Applicant cannot work while on fiance visa.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 5:07 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
1 Yes, your divorce has to be final before you apply for fiance visa as proof of divorce has to be presented as part of documentation.

2.Your passport is retained until such time as decision is made. Sponsor can visit you.

3. Official docs do not have to be notarised/certified

4. You do not pay NHS surcharge for fiance visa, but you do at time for applying for spouse visa and the also for second 2.5 year visa.

5. Biometrics would be done in Canada

6. After marriage, fiance visa is no longer valid, so leaving and entering UK would be difficult. Best to wait until spouse visa is obtained

7.Can apply for spouse visa immediately after marriage

8. Applicant cannot work while on fiance visa.
Brilliant, thanks so much for that
Old Nov 4th 2017, 8:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Brilliant, thanks so much for that
She's a treasure, our SanDiegogirl
Old Nov 4th 2017, 10:21 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent advice by SanDiegogirl as usual. One minor correction; the fiance visa is a six month, multiple entry visa. It does not cease to be valid after you marry so if the couple wishes to honeymoon before returning to the UK in order to apply for their spouse visa then they can do so. The only caveat is that they need to lodge their spouse visa application from within the UK before it expires.
Old Nov 4th 2017, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Excellent advice by SanDiegogirl as usual. One minor correction; the fiance visa is a six month, multiple entry visa. It does not cease to be valid after you marry so if the couple wishes to honeymoon before returning to the UK in order to apply for their spouse visa then they can do so. The only caveat is that they need to lodge their spouse visa application from within the UK before it expires.
Good catch ......
Old Nov 5th 2017, 1:43 am
Home and Happy

That's brilliant, thank you. So the Fiance Visa has a six month 'life' and the Spouse Visa just as to be submitted within that time? And travel is still possible, that's great - couldn't find that on an official site so I was reading migration agent's site info on that bit- hence needing it clarified!

Most important bit (because of timing) is that the application can't be submitted until the Canadian divorce is final. Again conflicting info on an agent's site which said Canadian had seen, but I prefer to trust you guys and BE!!!

------------------------------

Delving further......
the 'no work on fiance visa' rule.......... can one work online (remotely) for an existing employer in Canada, paid into Canadian account? I suspect there is no clear answer, though I know the USA is very strict on it.

Can you help with accommodation info - for two married people I assume a one bedroom rented flat is acceptable? Is a letter from the landlord required or just a rental agreement?

Cheers guys, you are stars, as ever!
Old Nov 5th 2017, 1:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

That's brilliant, thank you. So the Fiance Visa has a six month 'life' and the Spouse Visa just as to be submitted within that time? And travel is still possible, that's great - couldn't find that on an official site so I was reading migration agent's site info on that bit- hence needing it clarified!
Correct - the applicant can effectively come and go as they please within that six month period. My friend did exactly that; arrived, married and then honeymooned in Italy before returning to apply for his spouse visa.

Most important bit (because of timing) is that the application can't be submitted until the Canadian divorce is final. Again conflicting info on an agent's site which said Canadian had seen, but I prefer to trust you guys and BE!!!
The problem with that is that you need to show you have made arrangements for your wedding before you can apply and you need to be free to marry in order to make the arrangements so effectively yes, you need the decree absolute in hand before making the application.

Delving further......
the 'no work on fiance visa' rule.......... can one work online (remotely) for an existing employer in Canada, paid into Canadian account? I suspect there is no clear answer, though I know the USA is very strict on it.
No work is allowed, even remotely.

Can you help with accommodation info - for two married people I assume a one bedroom rented flat is acceptable? Is a letter from the landlord required or just a rental agreement?

Cheers guys, you are stars, as ever!
A tenancy agreement in both names should suffice if they're the only occupants.
Old Nov 5th 2017, 3:45 am
Home and Happy

Correct - the applicant can effectively come and go as they please within that six month period. My friend did exactly that; arrived, married and then honeymooned in Italy before returning to apply for his spouse visa.

The problem with that is that you need to show you have made arrangements for your wedding before you can apply and you need to be free to marry in order to make the arrangements so effectively yes, you need the decree absolute in hand before making the application.

No work is allowed, even remotely.
Both as I thought, good to have the confirmation.

A tenancy agreement in both names should suffice if they're the only occupants.
Great, thanks for that
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 6:20 am
Home and Happy

Back again with a couple more queries, please guys!

On the fiance visa - as above, the NHS surcharge is not payable, so presumably the applicant requires private health care of some kind? I assume, being at that point a UK resident they would not be covered by anything Canadian?

Passports - sponsor was born in Northern Ireland, so has a UK birth certificate but only possesses an Irish passport. Is that sufficient? Hoping there is no need to fork out for a UK passport just for this application.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:48 am

Back again with a couple more queries, please guys!

On the fiance visa - as above, the NHS surcharge is not payable, so presumably the applicant requires private health care of some kind? I assume, being at that point a UK resident they would not be covered by anything Canadian?
Technically yes, but regular travel insurance should be sufficient. They'll only need cover for a maximum of six months.

Passports - sponsor was born in Northern Ireland, so has a UK birth certificate but only possesses an Irish passport. Is that sufficient? Hoping there is no need to fork out for a UK passport just for this application.
Again, technically yes, but unless the sponsor is already resident in the UK then I would play it safe and get a British passport.
Old Jan 23rd 2018, 9:51 am
Home and Happy

Technically yes, but regular travel insurance should be sufficient. They'll only need cover for a maximum of six months.

Again, technically yes, but unless the sponsor is already resident in the UK then I would play it safe and get a British passport.
Thanks, good info as ever! He's been UK (mainland) resident most of his life, just prefers the Irish passport.
Old May 20th 2018, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

Srna78 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Clarification on process - UK Fiance Visa, then Spouse Visa from Canada

I just want to share my experience regarding my Fiance visa and IHS and ask if someone else had a similar experience and how it was solved?
We applied in the middle of April, and on my printed online application it is written:
CATEGORY: SETTLEMENT
TYPE: MARRIAGE
I payed 1814 EUR for my visa application (they increased the fee once more from 6th April 2018)
Few days ago, I received 2 email from Visa Sheffield office :
One said: Your online application has been received at the UK Decision Making Centre. Your application is currently being prepared for consideration by an Entry Clearance Officer.
Second said: Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) payment needed in next 7 days, with a link to do the payment. I opened the link and it showed my name as a main applicant and that I need to pay 714 EUR for IHS.
I was so shocked, I checked their website regarding IHS again and based on what I read, I shouldn’t pay for it as a fiance.
So, I emailed them, saying that I’m applying as a fiancé (and my visa, if granted, will be valid for 6 months only, not for more than 6 months), and that I read that I should not pay for IHS while I am on my fiancé visa.
I also wrote that I read on gov.uk website the following:
“When you must pay
If you apply for a visa online, you pay the surcharge as part of the application”
And I wrote to them that I made my application online, over Visa4UK service, and I didn’t had/got an option to pay for IHS online.

My fiance also called them, cause we wanted a quick reply, and after a call, we were even more confused. He said that I am applying as his fiance, in order to get an entry clearance which will allow us to get married in the UK within 6 months. They said to him , if I received such email from them, then I need to pay it by following the link they provided me, otherwise, my application will be refused. If not required, I will get a refund as it is a settlement visa for 2 and 1/2 years!!!
So, since the time was ticking, I payed those 714 EUR today. I got confirmation mail of my payment… In that email they also said: “On completion of your IHS application you will also be emailed a copy of your IHS reference number, which you will need for your immigration application.”
However, I didn’t received any further information in order to “complete my IHS application and get a IHS reference number”.
So, quite strange thing… First, I thought that I made a mistake regarding visa type I am applying for, but, I double checked – it is:
I am wondering did anyone else had a similar experience and how it was solved?
Thank you all in advance!
Good luck to everyone!
Old May 20th 2018, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Srna78
I just want to share my experience regarding my Fiance visa and IHS and ask if someone else had a similar experience and how it was solved?
We applied in the middle of April, and on my printed online application it is written:
I payed 1814 EUR for my visa application (they increased the fee once more from 6th April 2018)
Few days ago, I received 2 email from Visa Sheffield office :
One said: Your online application has been received at the UK Decision Making Centre. Your application is currently being prepared for consideration by an Entry Clearance Officer.
Second said: Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) payment needed in next 7 days, with a link to do the payment. I opened the link and it showed my name as a main applicant and that I need to pay 714 EUR for IHS.
I was so shocked, I checked their website regarding IHS again and based on what I read, I shouldn’t pay for it as a fiance.
So, I emailed them, saying that I’m applying as a fiancé (and my visa, if granted, will be valid for 6 months only, not for more than 6 months), and that I read that I should not pay for IHS while I am on my fiancé visa.
I also wrote that I read on gov.uk website the following:
“When you must pay
If you apply for a visa online, you pay the surcharge as part of the application”
And I wrote to them that I made my application online, over Visa4UK service, and I didn’t had/got an option to pay for IHS online.

My fiance also called them, cause we wanted a quick reply, and after a call, we were even more confused. He said that I am applying as his fiance, in order to get an entry clearance which will allow us to get married in the UK within 6 months. They said to him , if I received such email from them, then I need to pay it by following the link they provided me, otherwise, my application will be refused. If not required, I will get a refund as it is a settlement visa for 2 and 1/2 years!!!
So, since the time was ticking, I payed those 714 EUR today. I got confirmation mail of my payment… In that email they also said: “On completion of your IHS application you will also be emailed a copy of your IHS reference number, which you will need for your immigration application.”
However, I didn’t received any further information in order to “complete my IHS application and get a IHS reference number”.
So, quite strange thing… First, I thought that I made a mistake regarding visa type I am applying for, but, I double checked – it is:
I am wondering did anyone else had a similar experience and how it was solved?
Thank you all in advance!
Good luck to everyone!
Settlement: Marriage is the correct category for a fiancé/fiancée visa. You shouldn't have needed to pay the IHS as the visa is only valid for six months; that would have been payable when you applied for FLR(M) from within the UK after you married.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Srna78 is an unknown quantity at this point

Settlement: Marriage is the correct category for a fiancé/fiancée visa. You shouldn't have needed to pay the IHS as the visa is only valid for six months; that would have been payable when you applied for FLR(M) from within the UK after you married.
An update-I payed and send them confirmation of my payment, together with pointing out my status, that I'm a fiancé and that I applied to marry and settle after marriage. They replied that they r sorry for confusion and that they will start the refund process immediately. I received my money after a week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.