Citizenship Regret

Old Mar 20th 2018, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

Craddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Citizenship Regret

Originally Posted by Dorothy
There isn't.
Okay thank you!

After much research today I’ve discovered the citizenship guidance don’t state that intent to reside in the UK is required for spouses of UK Citizens. So I should be fine to apply and state intent to live in Canada. :-/
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:36 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Craddy
Okay thank you!

After much research today I’ve discovered the citizenship guidance don’t state that intent to reside in the UK is required for spouses of UK Citizens. So I should be fine to apply and state intent to live in Canada. :-/
Why would you do thay? Apply for your citizenship, but why complicate things?
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:40 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Okay thank you!

Or just state ‘United Kingdom’ and make your life a lot easier.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:45 pm
Just Joined

Why would you do thay? Apply for your citizenship, but why complicate things?
Would it complicate things? I’m totally open to your opinion on the matter so please do let me know!!! I want to make sure I make the right decision. I don’t want to complicate things but I also don’t want to be seen as being deceptive.

I’ve read through the form AN guidance booklet and it clearly states that applicants who are not spouses of UK citizens need to intend to reside in the UK. However this requirement is not listed in the requirements for spouses. It’s also on the legislative.gov.uk website in the actual British Nationality Act 1948 as far as I can see.

So with that said, as a spouse of a UK citizen why would stating intention to not reside in the UK be grounds for refusal?

Thanks so much for your input!! As I said I want to be absolutely sure about this so if I’ve missed something please let me know!!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Or just state ‘United Kingdom’ and make your life a lot easier.
I’ve just replied to Dorothy with my findings after doing more research today. What do you reckon? Everyone is saying not to say Canada but I can’t understand why if it’s not a requirement to intend to reside here? I don’t get it. It’s in the Nationality Act itself.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 9:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Do whatever you want to do. However if it was me I would be keeping things simple. IMO if Brit in Paris says keep it simple then that's the advice I would take.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

For those naturalising under S.6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 (i.e. you) you are correct in saying that there is no requirement for you to intend to reside in the UK after naturalisation. If you wish to put 'Canada' then that's up to you.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Do whatever you want to do. However if it was me I would be keeping things simple. IMO if Brit in Paris says keep it simple then that's the advice I would take.
Ok thanks I take it he knows what he’s talking about then?

If only it were simple eh?! Seems like nothing is cut and dry in the immigration world. Obviously I don’t want to complicate things, I’m just concerned about my intentions coming into question. Now I really don’t know what to do.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 10:40 pm
Just Joined

For those naturalising under S.6(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 (i.e. you) you are correct in saying that there is no requirement for you to intend to reside in the UK after naturalisation. If you wish to put 'Canada' then that's up to you.
Okie dokie. But in your opinion it would complicate things? :-/

They don’t make it easy for us do they?!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:21 pm
Still alive

Yes, they do. It's you who is making it more difficult than it has to be.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:25 pm

It may do, it may not, but given that time is of the essence I would want to make sure there's as few complications as possible.
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:31 pm
Just Joined

Yes, they do. It's you who is making it more difficult than it has to be.
By not wanting to lie about my intentions and risk being banned from applying for 10 years? I don’t think they make it straightforward and clear cut. If they did there wouldn’t have to be these forums for people to ask endless questions on don’t u think?!
Old Mar 20th 2018, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

It may do, it may not, but given that time is of the essence I would want to make sure there's as few complications as possible.
Yeah I totally get what you mean. I’ll have to have a good think on how I want to approach this / what to put on the form and if it’s worth risking a huge delay.

Thanks again to both of you (and everyone else who replied) for your time and patience.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

We are rapidly approaching that time of the year when applications typically take longer to process. Anything that seems out of the ordinary MAY mean that your application is set to the side to be reviewed a second time.

I totally agree with everyone who said don't complicate it. I fully subscribe to KISS - Keep It Simple Stupid; that works for most things involving any government agency.
Old Mar 27th 2018, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

By not wanting to lie about my intentions and risk being banned from applying for 10 years? I don’t think they make it straightforward and clear cut. If they did there wouldn’t have to be these forums for people to ask endless questions on don’t u think?!
Apart from the fact BIP has told you in that section there is no need to state intent of residence, I believe (from what I have read here and there-cant quote it at this poiint) that this intent statement may have been introduced or be relevant to asylum grantees previously stating they could not return to their own countries as their life was in danger, or could not obtain a passport from there, and subsequent to obtaining BC going back home for extended lenghts of time or even permanently. Now I believe that the UK Gov seeks to remove British citizenship from those grantees when they have lied about their circumstances originally to gain asylum, and even their identities may be not have been genuine on application.

Looking at it from this perspective you can see that you are being over scrupulous on this point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.