Citizenship - do I, don't I?

Old Nov 7th 2006, 12:16 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship - do I, don't I?

Originally Posted by JAJ

"Australia seeks to extend to all its citizens, including dual nationals, the full range of consular assistance.

However, under international law, countries are not obliged to recognise dual nationality.

* A country may not permit Australian consular assistance to be given to Australian citizens who, according to its laws, it considers and treats as its own nationals.
* Or, a person might not be regarded as being an Australian if that person is not travelling on their Australian passport, which may also limit the provision of consular assistance."
So care to tell me how that makes my statement not true? Where did I mention about travelling on an Australian passport? why the hell would you? I hide mine as often as I can.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 12:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FPM
So care to tell me how that makes my statement not true? Where did I mention about travelling on an Australian passport? why the hell would you? I hide mine as often as I can.
You said:

"... if you are overseas and get involved in a diplomatic 'incident' in the case of dual citizens it always reverts back to your original citizenship. In other words, contact the British Embassy."

Which is not true if you travel on an Australian passport, is it?
Old Nov 7th 2006, 12:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You said:

"... if you are overseas and get involved in a diplomatic 'incident' in the case of dual citizens it always reverts back to your original citizenship. In other words, contact the British Embassy."

Are you given the handbook at the ceremony?

Is this the right thing to do if you are going for a trip to the UK from Aus;
Leave and renter Australia using your Australian Passport
Enter and Leave the UK using your UK passport

I think I may have read this somewhere and I have also been told about this also by a relative.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Are you given the handbook at the ceremony?

Is this the right thing to do if you are going for a trip to the UK from Aus;
Leave and renter Australia using your Australian Passport
Enter and Leave the UK using your UK passport

I think I may have read this somewhere and I have also been told about this also by a relative.
You normally get a travel advisory handbook when you apply for a passport, not at the citizenship ceremony. Not every Australian citizen has a passport.

What you propose is what most people do. You have to have an Australian passport to enter and leave Australia, however you can (if you really want) enter the UK on an Australian passport if only going for a vacation. But it means you have to queue up and is really not recommended.

Also, the UK only has intermittent Home Office exit controls in place, but these are being re-established.

Airlines will normally be interested to see the passport you intend to use at your destination.
Old Nov 7th 2006, 12:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You normally get a travel advisory handbook when you apply for a passport, not at the citizenship ceremony. Not every Australian citizen has a passport.

What you propose is what most people do. You have to have an Australian passport to enter and leave Australia, however you can (if you really want) enter the UK on an Australian passport if only going for a vacation. But it means you have to queue up and is really not recommended.

Also, the UK only has intermittent Home Office exit controls in place, but these are being re-established.

Airlines will normally be interested to see the passport you intend to use at your destination.
Thank you JAJ
XXX
Old Nov 7th 2006, 1:14 am
FPM
Banned

Location: knuckle dragging, cultureless, boring, dingo oblivion
FPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond reputeFPM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
You said:

Well I guess so. Maybe I was thinking too much about what I do when I travel. I'm that's what the book said. Maybe I misread or was forgetful, anyway, apologies.

Rosie, you have to remember that when you become a citizen you must apply for a passport even if the visa in your British passport is still valid. I nearly messed up a holiday to NZ this way