Citizenship by descent

Old Nov 9th 2017, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Phenomenem is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship by descent

Hello!

I believe I'm a British citizen by descent, but would like opinions before I apply for a passport, and spend money.

I was born in Australia in 1989 to an Australian mother and a naturalised Australian father who was born in the UK (and never renounced his British citizenship). They were unmarried when I was born, but have married since.

According to the gov.uk "Check if you're a British citizen" quiz:
You might be a British citizen
In most cases you’ll be a British citizen ‘by descent’. You don’t need to register or naturalise. You can live in the UK and get a British passport.

You’re a citizen ‘by descent’ if all the following apply:

-you were born outside of the UK
-one or both of your parents were British citizens at the time of your birth
Your children won’t automatically become British citizens.

When you’re not a British citizen
You won’t be a British citizen ‘by descent’ through your father if all the following apply:

-you were born before 1 July 2006
-your parents weren’t married when you were born and haven’t married since
-the country your father considered his permanent home when you were born distinguished between children of married and unmarried parents - check with the country
So since my parents did marry eventually, I'm a British citizen? I keep getting conflicting answers from various sources.

Thanks for your help!
Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:16 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship by descent

Ordinarily yes, your parents' subsequent marriage would have legitimised you retrospectively from birth for the purposes of the British Nationality Act 1981. You need only apply for your British passport. You should include your parents' marriage certificate. Your father may be requested to complete a domicile questionnaire.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 9:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that. Unfortunately dad passed away in December last year, hopefully his birth certificate, and the parent's marriage certificate will be sufficient.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:57 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Phenomenem
Thanks for that. Unfortunately dad passed away in December last year, hopefully his birth certificate, and the parent's marriage certificate will be sufficient.
Sorry to hear that. It might be wise therefore to include a note regarding your father; when he left the UK, when it became an Australian citizen and his death certificate.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 10:38 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Sorry to hear that. It might be wise therefore to include a note regarding your father; when he left the UK, when it became an Australian citizen and his death certificate.
Will do, thanks for your help.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Toriplays is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
I visited Scotland last month. I loved it!
My mother is from Scotland so I'm eligible for citizenship by descent.
My question is do I have to pay the 1,163 pound fee or just the 80 pound ceremony fee?
Old Dec 1st 2017, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by Toriplays
Hello,
I visited Scotland last month. I loved it!
My mother is from Scotland so I'm eligible for citizenship by descent.
My question is do I have to pay the 1,163 pound fee or just the 80 pound ceremony fee?
What year were you born?

Edit: As you were born before 1983 to a British-born mother you only need to pay the £80 fee.

Last edited by BritInParis; Dec 1st 2017 at 10:11 pm. Reason: Spotted the other thread