Can my child register as British citizen?

Old Jun 25th 2016, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

Kentse1973 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can my child register as British citizen?

I hope someone could give advice or share their similar experience. Thx in advance.

Background
My Dad &I both registered as Biritish citizens in 1992, he was otherwise than by descent & I was by descent coz of him. Since than I was living in the UK for more than 3 years. My child was born in 2008 in Hong Kong.

Question
I wonder is my child eligible to register as British citizen under section 3(2) on page 9 for the below link.

I don't quite understand the meaning of "the parent who is British by descent must have been born to a parent who was a British citizen otherwise than by descent (or if that person died, then they would have been a British citizen otherwise than by descent but for their death)."

Does it mean my Dad had to be British citizen otherwise than by descent when I was born?

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ember_2015.pdf
Old Jun 25th 2016, 12:38 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can my child register as British citizen?

Can you confirm specifically whether you registered under S.1(1) or S.1(4) of the British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990?
Old Jun 26th 2016, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Can you confirm specifically whether you registered under S.1(1) or S.1(4) of the British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990?
BritInParis, you are expert!
I am under S1(4).
Old Jun 26th 2016, 1:52 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

If you were registered as a British citizen under S.1(4) of the British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990 then you are a British citizen by descent as your father was registered as a British citizen under S.1(1) of the British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990 and is therefore a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

In order to register your children under S.3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 the following needs to be true:

(a) that the parent in question was a British citizen by descent at the time of the birth; and

(b) that the father or mother of the parent in question—

(i) was a British citizen otherwise than by descent at the time of the birth of the parent in question; or

(ii) became a British citizen otherwise than by descent at commencement, or would have become such a citizen otherwise than by descent at commencement but for his or her death;
So we can see that whilst (a) is true neither (b)(i) or (b)(ii) is. I've had a look online and there doesn't seem to be an exception made for people like yourself. They may be a possibility of registering your child at the Home Secretary's discretion under S.3(1) but again I could find no examples of a successful application made in the same circumstances (although that is not to say it wouldn't be successful either).
Old Jun 26th 2016, 4:15 am
Forum Regular

If you were registered as a British citizen under S.1(4) of the British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990 then you are a British citizen by descent as your father was registered as a British citizen under S.1(1) of the British Nationality (Hong Kong) Act 1990 and is therefore a British citizen otherwise than by descent.

In order to register your children under S.3(2) of the British Nationality Act 1981 the following needs to be true:

So we can see that whilst (a) is true neither (b)(i) or (b)(ii) is. I've had a look online and there doesn't seem to be an exception made for people like yourself. They may be a possibility of registering your child at the Home Secretary's discretion under S.3(1) but again I could find no examples of a successful application made in the same circumstances (although that is not to say it wouldn't be successful either).
Thank you so much for your expert advise. It seems the only way to register my child as British citizen is to follow the route of s. 3(5) of British Nationality Act 1981- come & live in the UK for 3 years?
Old Jun 26th 2016, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by Kentse1973
Thank you so much for your expert advise. It seems the only way to register my child as British citizen is to follow the route of s. 3(5) of British Nationality Act 1981- come & live in the UK for 3 years?
There may be something I'm not aware of but that appears to be the case, yes. You would need to move to the United Kingdom start the three year period before your child turned 15 in order to ensure they were still under 18 when they become eligible to be registered, so within the next six to seven years.

If that was a practical proposition for you then in the long run it would be much more beneficial to your family as if your child was registered under S.3(5) rather than S.3(2) then they would become a British citizen otherwise than by descent and therefore your grandchildren would automatically be British citizens regardless of where they were born.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

There may be something I'm not aware of but that appears to be the case, yes. You would need to move to the United Kingdom start the three year period before your child turned 15 in order to ensure they were still under 18 when they become eligible to be registered, so within the next six to seven years.
The OP may wish to consider moving the family to the UK when your child finishes primary education in Hong Kong, so that your child starts secondary education in the UK. This will give you a few years to plan - where to stay etc.

When moving to the UK, the OP may need to think about the spouse visa requirements for the non-British Citizen spouse.

BIP - will the child in the case get ILE or limited leave to enter under current rules?
Old Jun 26th 2016, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by HKG3
The OP may wish to consider moving the family to the UK when your child finishes primary education in Hong Kong, so that your child starts secondary education in the UK. This will give you a few years to plan - where to stay etc.

When moving to the UK, the OP may need to think about the spouse visa requirements for the non-British Citizen spouse.

BIP - will the child in the case get ILE or limited leave to enter under current rules?
The child should receive ILE.
Old Jun 26th 2016, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

If that was a practical proposition for you then in the long run it would be much more beneficial to your family as if your child was registered under S.3(5) rather than S.3(2) then they would become a British citizen otherwise than by descent and therefore your grandchildren would automatically be British citizens regardless of where they were born.
Totally agree. That's my plan & will move to UK when he begin secondary school. Better start saving up to satisfy the financial requirements for spouse visa.

Thx for your help & really appreciate it.
Old Jun 27th 2016, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

Thx for your advice. I am thinking to settle in Manchester as I spent few years there previously in University. I may consider to take a Master degree course related to my profession, try to build up some network for easier job hunting.
Old Jun 28th 2016, 12:42 am
Forum Regular

BIP, just a quick one. How long will my wife allow to stay? And when she can register as citizen? Thx
Old Jun 28th 2016, 1:15 am
Forum Regular

BIP, just a quick one. How long will my wife allow to stay? And when she can register as citizen? Thx
Found the answer in the Read me thread. Thx😊
Old Jun 29th 2016, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thx for your advice. I am thinking to settle in Manchester as I spent few years there previously in University. I may consider to take a Master degree course related to my profession, try to build up some network for easier job hunting.
You will want to read the link below -

UKCISA

Being a British Citizen alone does not qualifies for 'home' fees - you need to be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of the degree programme in order to be class as a 'home' student.
Old Jun 29th 2016, 11:06 pm
Forum Regular

You will want to read the link below -

UKCISA

Being a British Citizen alone does not qualifies for 'home' fees - you need to be ordinarily resident in the UK for three years prior to the start of the degree programme in order to be class as a 'home' student.
Thx for your info.
I was a home student when studied my 1st degree & postgraduate degree in the 90s. That's 3 years period need to be count before the course?
Old Jun 30th 2016, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

A friend of mine just received the visa for her children. The visa stated they can stay for 33 months.
Is that visa so called ILE?

So after 33 months, they have to apply for ILR? Once received the ILR, then can apply for citizenship?

How long they need to apply before the visa expire?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.