Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Can I use the normal schengen tourist visa for Surinder Singh?

Can I use the normal schengen tourist visa for Surinder Singh?

Old Jan 31st 2018, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Mfdoom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I use the normal schengen tourist visa for Surinder Singh?

Hi all,

I'm planning to do the surinder Singh in Malta. I'm currently in Nigeria- my spouse is in the UK. I applied to the Italian embassy in Nigeria for a family member of eu citizen schengen tourist visa under the EU directive. I ticked 'other' on the application form and sent a copy of my marriage certificate. But to my surprise, the embassy gave me the normal schengen tourist visa (30 days). VFS global even charged me for the visa, which I understand is suppose to be free. I don't know why they did this. I've been told that Malta will not issue me a eu residence card if I travel there with the normal tourist visa. I'm a bit worried. Please what do you suggest I do?

Hope to hear from you soon
Old Feb 1st 2018, 11:15 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I use the normal schengen tourist visa for Surinder Singh?

Originally Posted by Mfdoom
Hi all,

I'm planning to do the surinder Singh in Malta. I'm currently in Nigeria- my spouse is in the UK. I applied to the Italian embassy in Nigeria for a family member of eu citizen schengen tourist visa under the EU directive. I ticked 'other' on the application form and sent a copy of my marriage certificate. But to my surprise, the embassy gave me the normal schengen tourist visa (30 days). VFS global even charged me for the visa, which I understand is suppose to be free. I don't know why they did this. I've been told that Malta will not issue me a eu residence card if I travel there with the normal tourist visa. I'm a bit worried. Please what do you suggest I do?

if your spouse is in the UK and British and not resident in the EU I do not think you will get any other visa. Normally you need to be joining a spouse resident in the EU meaning they are exercising Treaty rights. UK is not part of the schengen area so you will not be able to travel to UK without a UK visa ( if you have a Nigerian passport).
I do not know the answer to your question but I know Malta is very strict on paperwork and compliance for non EU applications of residency.
Old Feb 2nd 2018, 4:35 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that to do the SS route your spouse also needs to resident in Malta while you establish residency?
Old Nov 15th 2018, 5:02 am
Just Joined

Sunnday is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mfdoom
Hi all,

Hello sir. What document do you put in for your Italy visa pls can I now