Can I move back to UK with my US wife?

Old Nov 13th 2017, 12:53 am
Forum Regular

MartinBen is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I move back to UK with my US wife?

I'm a UK citizen and married my US wife here in Maine in January 2017. (We got engaged in July 2016)

We've been talking about moving to the UK but I thought we had to prove we had been married 2yrs before we could apply for a Spouse visa for her - looking on the UK Immigration website for visas but I've read in another thread this is not the case.

Does anyone know what the Spouse Visa rules are as I'd love to start looking for a job back in the UK knowing my US wife can come with me. I know there is a salary requirement (around £18k for just husband/wife with no kids).
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I move back to UK with my US wife?

You do not need to be married for two years.

Look at the following website for information as to how to apply for a spouse settlement visa for your wife.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-family-visa

You need to fulfill financial, accommodation and relationship criteria.

The financial requirements are detailed below. Read carefully to see under which category (A or B) you qualify:

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment_Final.pdf

For income, you need to be earning 18,600 GBP per annum. Savings can be used to make up any shortfall.

You need to determine under which of the categories and situations you can apply, as per the above document.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:21 am
Forum Regular

Yes - thanks - I looked at that website but it said "you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply" and we haven't that is why we are confused as this other thread they only got married in US in July 2017 and were told they could apply.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinBen
Yes - thanks - I looked at that website but it said "you’ve been living together in a relationship for at least 2 years when you apply" and we haven't that is why we are confused as this other thread they only got married in US in July 2017 and were told they could apply.
You are reading a description which relates to those who are applying for an unmarried partner visa. Those folks have to have lived together "as man and wife" for two continuous years and show documentation to prove that.

YOU are married - you have been married since Jan 2017 and were engaged prior to that - more than enough evidence that your relationship is genuine.

You will still need to produce documents that show you live together, have joint responsibilities etc, but the fact you are married is a very important element.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 4:52 am
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinBen
Read it again... it clearly says 'one', not all 3 requirements need.
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks - that looks very encouraging.

Just one more question (sorry!)

Does my wife need any paperwork beforehand if we decided to move back to the UK, say from 1st Jan, or would she just accompany me on her US passport and then apply for "leave to remain" once we have settled down etc?
Old Nov 14th 2017, 7:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

You have not read either of the links I gave you have you?

She applies for a spouse visa from the US, stating YOU as her sponsor.

You and she provide all information that you fulfill the financial, accommodation and relationship criteria.

When you have the visa, then she can enter the UK to work and live.