Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British passport/citizenship and Southern Rhodesia --> moved to UK Immy

British passport/citizenship and Southern Rhodesia --> moved to UK Immy

Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:24 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport/citizenship and Southern Rhodesia --> moved to UK Immy

The other thing I'd suggest is writing to, or even better, going to see your MP and explaining the problem. They can sometimes cut through red tape.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British passport/citizenship and Southern Rhodesia --> moved to UK Immy

Long shot:

I wonder whether the Home Office would have records of the travel documents/alien registration cards/or similar which were issued to your mother & grandmother when they were transported from the camp and arrived in England.

If you could find those records, you would have at least some documentation to show the Polish consulate to help establish your mother's Polish citizenship, as well as her status in the UK.

I also did a bit of very quick research, and it appears that the Polish government (in exile) was somewhat involved in the administration of the Northern Rhodesian camps along with the British. I do think Editha's suggestion of contacting the Polish authorities is a good one: they may well be able to advise/have records of their own.

ETA: posted at the same time as Editha's two additional excellent suggestions!

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 21st 2016 at 10:45 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2016, 11:03 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Once we're exhausted the possibility of British citizenship via HMPO then approaching the Polish authorities would certainly be a valid next move. Given the way Polish civil records work the birth of the mother, subsequent marriages and death of the grandmother would all need to be recorded with the registrar in Poland. If, and it may be a big if, they can do this without a birth certificate for the mother then they will be able to issue her a Polish birth certificate which she can use to apply for her Polish passport.

A thought: if the grandmother's death certificate lists the informant as the mother and states the relationship as 'daughter' at least that would be something official to evidence the relationship.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 6:24 am
Just Joined

carolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to all

I haven't looked through those archives no, unfortunately they're not digitised and I live in Manchester now, a long and expensive journey away from London. I may try and look into finding cheap tickets for a day trip down during half term or something.

I do feel that although my mother would certainly be entitled to a Polish passport, it is likely the most complicated option of the two as there is still a lot of red tape with registering things in Poland, which is difficult with no Polish address and no ability to speak, read or write Polish.
Old Jan 22nd 2016, 9:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Would it not be worth a visit to the Polish Embassy in person ? Perhaps get your MP to intervene ?
Old Jan 25th 2016, 6:58 am
Just Joined

carolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to allcarolinec is a name known to all

I've had a reply from the war veterans society or whatever they're called. They basically said they can't help but to reader it to the Archive of New Records so I've now sent them an email. I'm waiting on a response from the embassy again and if that is no better help I will call and arrange an appointment. I'm not really any further on than I was when I started this thread. It's all rather confusing!

What is my MP likely to be able to do, realistically?
Old Jan 25th 2016, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

The reality is that an MP has more clout than a citizen.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 11:19 am
Just Joined

But I mean what would they do? Would it be in relation to a Polish embassy, a British passport? I'm not being funny with you at all, I'm genuinely asking in what way they might be able to help.

I have had a further thought. My mum was in care for 2 years when she was younger. It may be a long shot but I'm going to try and find a social services contact and see how we'd go about checking their records for copies of any papers they might have been given.
Old Jan 25th 2016, 11:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

British MP might not be interested but you should get him involved. British government departments look at matters more carefully when an MP is involved.
Old Jan 26th 2016, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly feel OP & mum need a two-pronged plan of action.

It seems to me, IIUC, that mum has no documents relating to her arrival & original status in the UK. If she arrived from one of the DP camps in Rhodesia, there *is* a record of that somewhere.

- Mum needs to establish her status as a UK resident, and/or obtain documentary proof thereof. Eventually, she may or may not be able to establish that she's eligible for British citizenship, or not, or that she's already a citizen.

- Mum is probably a Polish citizen. She needs to establish that and/or obtain documentary proof thereof.

There are lots of leads/good advice in this thread. Both routes are step by step processes which need to be worked through systematically and logically. It won't be a speedy process.

I did a bit more research (prompted by a reference elsewhere): some of the info & advice given here may not be new to the OP.

(Aside, if nothing else works: there are apparently quite a few records/original documents pertaining to the DP camps held in archives in Lusaka. I don't know if these include occupant lists)

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 26th 2016 at 12:38 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2016, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Carolinec- having some experience of these areas – Brit nationality law is very complicated - birth in camp in Rhodesia at that date may also be part of picture. I recommend, as others have suggested, that you set your mother's history down on paper and make an appointment with your MP and give it to him. This is the low cost option ask him to write to the Home office asking for a Certificate of Registration/Grant of Citizenship due to the unusual and compelling circumstances, whether technically she is British or not. Copy also if you can her marriage certificates and your birth certificate as part of the family history along with the Southampton arrival. Ditto her NI, pensioner status. Your mother may have been automatically entitled to British citizenship when she came to the UK as the daughter of a war refugee. Also as she has been in the UK more than 10years ‘legally’ she is able to naturalise but that would involve cost. Your mother may be ‘stateless’ and in those circumstances would probably be given grant of citizenship due to her long ties with the UK and then apply normally for her passport as a pensioner( low or no cost). For hard to get documents from what is now Zimbabwe there is a very good company bunnyhop.co.za in south Africa, who get birth certificates, etc. Friends have used them. However whoever administered the camp may have moved records back to their HQ/ country when it closed. I would only go the polish option if you do not succeed with the UK one as if you say she may be able to get polish citizenship it will be less favourable for the UK option.