Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

Impact of Right To Rent legislation on spouse visa applicants

Impact of Right To Rent legislation on spouse visa applicants

Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:47 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Impact of Right To Rent legislation on spouse visa applicants

This has probably been covered in previous threads but I can't find it, so I'm bringing it up in case some potential spouse visa applicants aren't aware of it.

I was chatting to a mate whose spouse is about to apply for a spouse visa. In order to meet the accommodation requirement, some applicants have previously used a short term holiday let, or provided proof that they are permitted to stay with friends who rent their accommodation. Another scenario is that the British citizen spouse comes to the UK first, rents a property, and the non Brit spouse uses that address in their application to meet the accommodation requirement (along with a letter from the landlord giving permission for them to be added to the lease).

With the relatively new Right to Rent legislation, it seems that all of these avenues have been closed to applicants? Landlords can only rent to people who can demonstrate they are legally permitted to live in the UK. The legislation covers everyone 18 years and older, whether they are named on the lease or not.
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...de-of-practice

Consequently, meeting the accommodation requirement with a rental property seems impossible? It won't be possible to obtain a letter from a landlord, saying that the spouse visa applicant can live in a property - because the spouse visa applicant hasn't yet obtained the right to live in the UK.

I've looked but can't even find any exemptions for holiday lets. Does anyone know more about this?
Old Feb 16th 2016, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

quiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond reputequiltman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Impact of Right To Rent legislation on spouse visa applicants

I would have thought that if the British citizen is the one renting, then the landlord can give permission subject to the spouse obtaining the right to live in the UK. This way, the landlord meets the requirements of the act as he is aware the spouse does not yet have right of abode in UK , and subject to them seeing, and probably taking a copy of, the spouse visa all is legal?
Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you bought this up as I am in the same position and currently in the UK looking at rental possibilities ahead of my spouse submitting application just to check the 'accommodation' box.

The new legislation adds another hurdle to the already complicated application.
It may be possible to get an agreement from the landlord or letting agency but I am finding that just the mention of the word 'immigration' can cause potential landlords to shy away. Lets face it, they want an easy tenant with no complications.
Other complications may include credit checks and references.
In a nut shell, I am being asked to fork out 6 months rent in advance plus the deposit and other misc fees.
One door opens and another closes!
Old Feb 18th 2016, 3:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
I would have thought that if the British citizen is the one renting, then the landlord can give permission subject to the spouse obtaining the right to live in the UK. This way, the landlord meets the requirements of the act as he is aware the spouse does not yet have right of abode in UK , and subject to them seeing, and probably taking a copy of, the spouse visa all is legal?
Yes and yes.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobbyleo
Glad you bought this up as I am in the same position and currently in the UK looking at rental possibilities ahead of my spouse submitting application just to check the 'accommodation' box.

The new legislation adds another hurdle to the already complicated application.
It may be possible to get an agreement from the landlord or letting agency but I am finding that just the mention of the word 'immigration' can cause potential landlords to shy away. Lets face it, they want an easy tenant with no complications.
Other complications may include credit checks and references.
In a nut shell, I am being asked to fork out 6 months rent in advance plus the deposit and other misc fees.
One door opens and another closes!

If you are a British citizen, why are you mentioning "immigration" to potential landlords?

The 6 months rent in advance is unfortunately (sometimes) par for the course & well documented here on BE.

Otherwise, I agree with Formula & Quiltman.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:04 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quiltman
That's the commonsense approach, and one that you'd hope would be accepted by Home Office visa processing staff.

But since I can't find a single official reference to this being acceptable proof of accommodation, I don't think I'd want to risk thousands of pounds and a refusal based on what I think would be a reasonable decision by the Home Office. As far as I'm concerned, they have form
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:08 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by Shirtback
If you are a British citizen, why are you mentioning "immigration" to potential landlords?

The 6 months rent in advance is unfortunately (sometimes) par for the course & well documented here on BE.

Otherwise, I agree with Formula & Quiltman.
You'd have to let the landlord know that a non-Brit would be living there too, in order to get the letter of approval, in order to send the 'subject to' letter of approval with your visa application, as evidence of meeting the accommodation requirement. Yes, it's a dog's breakfast. And I still wouldn't put my faith in that being enough evidence, until I've seen it in writing from the UK govt.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

bobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond reputebobbyleo has a reputation beyond repute

Because two of the tenants are not British citizens and need to provide future evidence of their legal status before any contract can be accepted.
Having to pay all fees plus 6 months rent in advance, it's in my interest to disclose everything now rather than later. If it's an issue to the landlord I want to know before I waste my viewing properties, sign a contract and open my wallet,

Last edited by bobbyleo; Feb 18th 2016 at 6:45 pm.
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Referring back to SOS's original post & link: I'm not seeing how meeting the accommodation requirement through a rental is impossible for a returning UKC?

Or am I being thicker than usual?!
Old Feb 18th 2016, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Referring back to SOS's original post & link: I'm not seeing how meeting the accommodation requirement through a rental is impossible for a returning UKC?

It's not impossible , just another hurdle to overcome if you are using a lease as proof of accommodation for a settlement visa.
Old Feb 19th 2016, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

It isn't and you aren't
Old Feb 21st 2016, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Holiday lets are exempt. There is the time limited aspect allowed , so if a tourist enters and gets six month entry they can rent legally for that period. for more details see landlordzone- also in relocation employees are put in temporary accommodation, service/holiday lets until they find a permanent home. So you can start off in a holiday let whilst looking for permanent which makes sense for anyone moving countries. Of course you will not get utility bills in a holiday let, I suggest you register at electoral register though if you British. http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/update/january16.html The Immigration Act 2014 says ALL residential tenancies, including lodgers in landlords’ homes and even tenants who sub-let, must comply. There are few exemptions: social housing, student halls of residence, holiday lets are examples
Old Feb 21st 2016, 11:06 am
BE Enthusiast

angie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond reputeangie_329 has a reputation beyond repute

Holiday lets are exempt. There is the time limited aspect, so if a tourist enters and gets six month entry they can rent for that period. for more details see landlordzone site January 2016. also in relocation employees are put in temporary accommodation, service/holiday lets until they find a permanent home. If you are returning to UK I would join the electoral register if you can, as you will not have utility bills in a holiday let.

'The Immigration Act 2014 says ALL residential tenancies, including lodgers in landlords’ homes and even tenants who sub-let, must comply. There are few exemptions: social housing, student halls of residence, holiday lets are examples'