Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > Citizenship/Passports and Spouse/Family Visas (UK)
Reload this Page >

British nationality from British father to an illegitimate child. (form UKF)

British nationality from British father to an illegitimate child. (form UKF)

Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:55 am
Forum Regular

JaridineHK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British nationality from British father to an illegitimate child. (form UKF)

I’m a BN(O) holder and born in Hong Kong before 1 July 2006 to unmarried British fathers. My father was born in London. I have my father's birth certificate.

From guide UKF :
“To apply under these provisions you will need to prove your relationship with your natural father. To do this you will have to provide evidence of paternity. If you can provide genuine and reliable documents, we will recognise a man as your father in the following circumstances:

He is named as your father on a birth certificate issued within one year of your birth”

My question is : My father named on my birth certificate issued over two year of my birth, is that impossible for apply British nationality and passport ?

Appreciate for the great help. Thanks !
Old Oct 13th 2017, 7:58 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British nationality from British father to an illegitimate child. (form UKF)

Did your parents ever marry?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:01 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: British nationality from British father to an illegitimate child. (form UKF)

thanks for the reply.
NO, they never marry.
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You may have a problem since your birth was registered late. Was your birth not registered for two years or was your father not added to your birth certificate for two years?
Old Oct 13th 2017, 8:38 am
Forum Regular

not registered for two years ( born 1967, registered 1969)
Old Oct 13th 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by JaridineHK
not registered for two years ( born 1967, registered 1969)
You're legally obliged to register a birth after 42 days. Why did it take two years? Were you adopted?
Old Oct 14th 2017, 4:45 am
Forum Regular

I'm not adopted, not sure why it took two years.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 5:40 am
Forum Regular

Hydreliox is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You're legally obliged to register a birth after 42 days. Why did it take two years? Were you adopted?
I believe Hong Kong had a lot of riots in the late 1960s and the government was in a struggle to be in control. Perhaps had something to do with why there was a delay?! Unfortunately I am not sure if this would make any difference to the applicants dilemma.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 9:30 am

I'm not adopted, not sure why it took two years.
It's a question I would be asking if I was your passport examiner. Can you ask your parents?

Originally Posted by Hydreliox
I believe Hong Kong had a lot of riots in the late 1960s and the government was in a struggle to be in control. Perhaps had something to do with why there was a delay?! Unfortunately I am not sure if this would make any difference to the applicants dilemma.
Possibly in 1967 but not for another ~18 months afterwards.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

This is still the rule in Hong Kong today.

Registration of a Birth | Immigration Department
Old Oct 15th 2017, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

It's a question I would be asking if I was your passport examiner. Can you ask your parents?

Possibly in 1967 but not for another ~18 months afterwards.
my parents are pass away , cannot ask anymore...
Thanks !
Old Oct 15th 2017, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

HKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond reputeHKG3 has a reputation beyond repute

If the Home Office refused the OP's British Citizenship registration application, can the OP, as a BN(O) passport holder, able to apply for an UK Ancestry visa, which would enable the OP to work and live in the UK (if the OP got a grandparent born in the UK)?

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa
Old Oct 15th 2017, 9:48 am

my parents are pass away , cannot ask anymore...
Thanks !
Well, since registration using Form UKF is free, you might as well try and see what HMPO says.

Originally Posted by HKG3
If the Home Office refused the OP's British Citizenship registration application, can the OP, as a BN(O) passport holder, able to apply for an UK Ancestry visa, which would enable the OP to work and live in the UK (if the OP got a grandparent born in the UK)?

https://www.gov.uk/ancestry-visa
It would be slightly perverse of the Home Office to accept the OP's birth certificate for an ancestry visa but not a citizenship application. Not to say they wouldn't, mind you
Old Oct 15th 2017, 10:32 am
Just Joined

Abdulah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Please i need help to clarify if form UKF can work for me.
I was born in 1989 outside uk ,am a statless son to a british father, all my brothers born before 1983 were qualified for british citizenship using form S2.
I did contact some firms couple of years ago to check if i qualify and the only way was to reside in uk for 3 or more.
Can form UKF favor me now?
Old Oct 15th 2017, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Abdulah
Hello

Please i need help to clarify if form UKF can work for me.
I was born in 1989 outside uk ,am a statless son to a british father, all my brothers born before 1983 were qualified for british citizenship using form S2.
I did contact some firms couple of years ago to check if i qualify and the only way was to reside in uk for 3 or more.
Can form UKF favor me now?
Form UKF is for people who were born to a British father who was never married to their mother.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.