British Husband Kiwi Wife

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:09 am
Account Closed

larnie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British Husband Kiwi Wife

My husband of 30 years was brought to NZ as an 8 year old. All our married life he has yearned to "go home". Finally we have no ties as kids are grown and pets have sadly died so we have bought one way tickets to London leaving NZ in May. Luckily I have British Citizenship by way of a British father although I was born in NZ. We have investigated job opprtunities for my husband who is a Registered Architect here and the prospects appear quite good. I have worked as a "Practice Manager" here in NZ so have accounting skills. I am nervous about the move. Will we find work? Will we like England? Will we find somewhere to live easily. All the usual fears. My husband just wants to find his roots and have an adventure. So why am I concerned?

Appreciate your feedback and thoughts!!
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:19 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: British Husband Kiwi Wife

Originally Posted by larnie
My husband of 30 years was brought to NZ as an 8 year old. All our married life he has yearned to "go home". Finally we have no ties as kids are grown and pets have sadly died so we have bought one way tickets to London leaving NZ in May. Luckily I have British Citizenship by way of a British father although I was born in NZ. We have investigated job opprtunities for my husband who is a Registered Architect here and the prospects appear quite good. I have worked as a "Practice Manager" here in NZ so have accounting skills. I am nervous about the move. Will we find work? Will we like England? Will we find somewhere to live easily. All the usual fears. My husband just wants to find his roots and have an adventure. So why am I concerned?

Appreciate your feedback and thoughts!!
Go for it girl...you could love it. It'a all about adventure and experience. Uk is not as bad as everybody makes it out to be. There are some beautiful places there to live just as there is in OZ and NZ. It is busier and livlier in UK, but there are quiet and amazing places to live also. Depends how much money you have to what you can afford, better the area, more it will cost to buy.
You will never know unless you try it, just like us coming here.
Some will like it, some hate it. Give yourself time to settle in.
As for jobs..well can't see it being a problem. Check it out first before you go.
At least in the UK you don't need licence for this, licence for that...There are loads of jobs with good pay, you just need to look for them.
The weather will be cold mostly, not sure what you are used to, but it's not always grey. Mild winters and hotter summers.
Hope you do go as it will be such a good experience for you both.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:29 am
Account Closed

Thanks paulrachel for replying. Yes you are right it is what you make it. I have no preconvieved ideas. Just a bit nervous about giving up good paying jobs for an uncertain future, but really looking forward to proscimity to the rest of the world. We are fairly isolated here on our wee island so we are intent on absorbing the history and architecture. Bit nervous about leaving the kids (adults) behind but maybe they will join us later?
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:37 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks paulrachel for replying. Yes you are right it is what you make it. I have no preconvieved ideas. Just a bit nervous about giving up good paying jobs for an uncertain future, but really looking forward to proscimity to the rest of the world. We are fairly isolated here on our wee island so we are intent on absorbing the history and architecture. Bit nervous about leaving the kids (adults) behind but maybe they will join us later?
We had a big house, own business, plenty of money, many friends, hoildays, in the UK..our life was great there, but hubby's brothers live in Perth and told us we would be better off here. Curiosity killed the cat and here we are. We have a smaller house, bigger morgage, less money, kids unhappy, bored.
But we are still here, waiting for things to change. If it does great...if not then it's bye bye OZ...why would we stay here to be worse off. But at least we tried. That i am proud off.

By the way we call our daughter Alannah...Larnie for short..lol
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 7:45 am
Account Closed

As you say "At least we tried". I would not have had the courage at your age or with children to make that big journey to the other side of the world. All credit to you. I hope it works out for you. By the way "Larnie" was my beloved labrador who died 1 year ago aged 14 years. The most wonderful pet a family could ever hope to have. Your daughter is privaledged to share her name>
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:49 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Does your husband have his New Zealand citizenship? If not, he really ought to think about obtaining that before he leaves.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

No he doesn't have a NZ Passport but has a permanent re-entry visa.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 1:14 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

No he doesn't have a NZ Passport but has a permanent re-entry visa.
Why on earth doesn't he get a New Zealand passport before he thinks about leaving? The option to do so will be closed later on unless he returns to NZ and re-starts the 5 year residence period from scratch.

If he's lived in New Zealand for 40 years, then there's a real strong chance he may regret not becoming a citizen when it's too late.

Of course, applying for citizenship now would require postponement of any move for a year or two as you normally have to be both living in NZ and planning to remain.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:10 am
Account Closed

He never wanted to relinquish his British Citizenship feeling a real patriotism then when he finally decided it would be a good idea realised he would have to postpone the move for a couple of years and not prepared to wait. Can still re-enter the country on visitor visa but chances of returning appear slim anyway at this stage. I have dual nationality so he can return as a spouse can't he?
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:10 am
JAJ
Retired

He never wanted to relinquish his British Citizenship feeling a real patriotism then when he finally decided it would be a good idea realised he would have to postpone the move for a couple of years and not prepared to wait.
Where on earth did he get the idea that he would have to "relinquish his British citizenship"? Dual citizenship has been allowed in both Britain and New Zealand since 1949.

"Not prepared to wait". His choice obviously but others have regretted that decision later.

Can still re-enter the country on visitor visa but chances of returning appear slim anyway at this stage. I have dual nationality so he can return as a spouse can't he?
If he has an Indefinite Returning Resident Visa then he could always come back, provided these visas are not some day restricted or limited by the NZ Government.

Does he at least have one of these?

However he will never be able to have a New Zealand passport. What happens if, for example, you both decided you wanted to live in Australia later on? His New Zealand resident visa won't help him there.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 7:22 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

He never wanted to relinquish his British Citizenship
He wouldn't be required to relinquish his British citizenship if he naturalised as a New Zealand citizen.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 7:47 am
Account Closed

He's not naturalised as a NZ citizen as has always had an infinity towards Britain and wanted to retain that contact but has permanent re-entry to NZ.
Old Feb 6th 2007, 11:21 am
JAJ
Retired

He's not naturalised as a NZ citizen as has always had an infinity towards Britain and wanted to retain that contact but has permanent re-entry to NZ.
It's already been made very clear that naturalising as a New Zealand citizen would not affect his British citizenship in any way.

A permanent re-entry visa does not carry the same rights as a New Zealand passport.